• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best English bowling attack

Strongest attack

• Total voters

Kirkut

International Regular
Here are the three that I'm kind of familiar with. I'm not familiar with the history of English cricket so I won't be able to participate much in this thread, apologies for that. Since there isn't a thread on this in CW, I'd like members with good knowledge to discuss among themselves. You may mention a better bowling attack than the ones mentioned in the poll.

a massive zebra

International Captain
In the 1950s England had Bedser, Tyson, Statham, Trueman, Laker, Lock, Wardle and Appleyard. Any combination of these could potentially have been the best all round bowling lineup that England have ever placed in the field.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Of the three attacks you mentioned, I rank the 2005 Ashes attack as the best. The four-pronged pace attack comprising Harmison (17 wickets), Hoggard (16), Flintoff (24) and Jones (18) shared the spoils with solid back-up from Giles (10).

I would normally rate a team that wins an Ashes series 5-1 in Australia very highly but in 78/79 the Australia team was badly depleted due to Packer's World Series. Nevertheless the pace trio of Botham (23 wickets), Willis (20) and Hendrick (19) backed by the spin of Miller (23) and Embury (16) was a balanced and effective attack with Lever and Old adding depth.

When it comes to England attacks involved in Ashes wins in Australia, 3 spring to mind.

The 32/33 series, won 4-1 by England, is well-remembered as the Bodyline series with the main 'villain', Larwood, capturing 33 wickets. He received good support from Allen (21), Voce (15), spinner Verity (11) and all-rounder Hammond (9).

In 54/55 England bounced back from a drubbing in the first Test to win the series 3-1. This series is best remembered for the performances of Tyson (28 wickets) but there was a balanced support act comprising Statham (18), all-rounder Bailey (10) and spinners Appleyard (10) and Wardle (10).

The 70/71 series comprised 7 Tests with the 7th Test added after the 3rd Test was washed out without a ball being bowled. 4 Tests were drawn but England took the honours 2-0. There were 4 strike bowlers used with Snow (31 wickets) the most effective. P. Lever (13), Willis (12) and Shuttleworth (7) shared the supporting pace bowling while Underwood (16) and Illingworth (10) provided spin options. All-rounder D'Oliviera (6) gave extra depth.

Of these three series I would rank the 32/33 attack marginally ahead of the other two. However, the other two attacks were noteworthy in that they both had 2 quality spinners supporting the quicks. The same can be said about the 78/79 England attack. This has not always been the case with England attacks in Australia.

Last edited:

Kirkut

International Regular
Of the three attacks you mentioned, I rank the 2005 Ashes attack as the best. The four-pronged pace attack comprising Harmison (17 wickets), Hoggard (16), Flintoff (24) and Jones (18) shared the spoils with solid back-up from Giles (10).

I would normally rate a team that wins an Ashes series 5-1 in Australia very highly but in 78/79 the Australia team was badly depleted due to Packer's World Series. Nevertheless the pace trio of Botham (23 wickets), Willis (20) and Hendrick (19) backed by the spin of Miller (23) and Embury (16) was a balanced and effective attack with Lever and Old adding depth.

When it comes to England attacks involved in Ashes wins in Australia, 3 spring to mind.

The 32/33 series, won 4-1 by England, is well-remembered as the Bodyline series with the main 'villain', Larwood, capturing 33 wickets. He received good support from Allen (21), Voce (15), spinner Verity (11) and all-rounder Hammond (9).

In 54/55 England bounced back from a drubbing in the first Test to win the series 3-1. This series is best remembered for the performances of Tyson (28 wickets) but there was a balanced support act comprising Statham (18), all-rounder Bailey (10) and spinners Appleyard (10) and Wardle (10).

The 70/71 series comprised 7 Tests with the 7th Test added after the 3rd Test was washed out without a ball being bowled. 4 Tests were drawn but England took the honours 2-0. There were 4 strike bowlers used with Snow (31 wickets) the most effective. P. Lever (13), Willis (12) and Shuttleworth (7) shared the supporting pace bowling while Underwood (16) and Illingworth (10) provided spin options. All-rounder D'Oliviera (6) gave extra depth.

Of these three series I would rank the 32/33 attack marginally ahead of the other two. However, the other two attacks were noteworthy in that they both had 2 quality spinners supporting the quicks. The same can be said about the 78/79 England attack. This has not always been the case with England attacks in Australia.
It is hard to judge objectively which attack was the best because the game has changed every decade, but the 32/33 Bodyline series is a part of cricketing folklore, so I would rate that attack very highly too.

Even if top players from Australia missed out 78/79 series due to Kerry Packer cricket, winning 5 tests in Australia will always be extraordinary in my book. Our team needed a prime Bumrah to defeat a weak Aussie side, yet we only won 2-1.

Ashes 2005 was a genuinely great attack, but they could not retain the aura after that series. Lost to Pakistan in 2005 before the 5-0 drubbing in 06/07 Ashes.

2011-2012 when England were number one in tests had an excellent attack. They managed to win in India in 2012 which is huge for any non Asian team to do.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Based on rankings the England attack was at its strongest in August 1958:

1: Tony Lock 912
2: Jim Laker 881
9: Fred Trueman 730
10: Trevor Bailey 722
11: Brian Statham 699

with Tyson (12th, 692) and Loader (21st, 461) in reserve. This is, I think, the highest-rated 5-man attack in Test history for any country.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Trueman Statham Laker Lock Bailey
Based on rankings the England attack was at its strongest in August 1958:

1: Tony Lock 912
2: Jim Laker 881
9: Fred Trueman 730
10: Trevor Bailey 722
11: Brian Statham 699

with Tyson (12th, 692) and Loader (21st, 461) in reserve. This is, I think, the highest-rated 5-man attack in Test history for any country.
Not to brag or anything

Howe_zat

Audio File
Did that attack play together much?

We’re often guilty of ‘remembering’ eras without considering any real series. The 1958 team went to Australia as heavy favourites and got beat