Cricket Betting Site Betway

View Poll Results: Strongest attack

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ashes 1978/79 ( Miller - Botham - Willis - Hendrick - Emburey)

1 16.67%
  • Ashes 2005 ( Harmisson - Flintoff - Simon Jones - Hoggard - Giles)

3 50.00%
  • 2011 Pataudi Trophy ( Broad - Anderson - Swann - Tremlett - Bresnan)

2 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Best English bowling attack

Best English bowling attack

Here are the three that I'm kind of familiar with. I'm not familiar with the history of English cricket so I won't be able to participate much in this thread, apologies for that. Since there isn't a thread on this in CW, I'd like members with good knowledge to discuss among themselves. You may mention a better bowling attack than the ones mentioned in the poll.

Trueman Statham Laker Lock Bailey
    Kirkut likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnske View Post
    a boy was he, his name was trundler
    the day came, his mother's heart torn so asunder
    "I browse day to day the cricket vBulletin" he said
    "You're done" she said "for my son is dead"

we watched him grow with trembling anticipation
    only to watch him develop a perverse persuasion
    one of us is to blame, but lets not talk about names
    the hookers and crack he got from James

International Coach SillyCowCorner1's Avatar
    Another Jimmy Anderson thread

Quote Originally Posted by trundler View Post
    Trueman Statham Laker Lock Bailey
    Nice. Can you think of a series or a match where the 5 names you mentioned were unstoppable?

Quote Originally Posted by SillyCowCorner1 View Post
    Another Jimmy Anderson thread
    Everyone likes Jimmay!

International Vice-Captain a massive zebra's Avatar
    Eggs Champion!
    In the 1950s England had Bedser, Tyson, Statham, Trueman, Laker, Lock, Wardle and Appleyard. Any combination of these could potentially have been the best all round bowling lineup that England have ever placed in the field.
    THE ULTIMATE CRICKET WEB ARCADE EGGS CHAMPION

RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1990-2006
    RIP Craig Walsh (AKA "Craig"), 1985-2012

International 12th Man
    Tour of India 2012, Anderson broad Swann panesar.
    1500 wickets between them

International Vice-Captain GoodAreasShane's Avatar
    Somewhere vaguely near the Mercantile Mutual sign
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirkut View Post
    Everyone likes Jimmay!
    Well that's just blatantly false
    Quote Originally Posted by Magrat Garlick View Post
    glad to not have found out the real name of GoodAreasShane, as it allows me to keep imagining that at club cricket his mates shout "good areas, GoodAreasShane"
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnske View Post
    i drank lighter fluid

Panesar unlucky to miss out somewhere...
    Symmetry is beauty, beauty is truth. Breaking symmetry means breaking truth.

"Mi nah soft like a tissue, so tell me what is the issue?" -Koffee

Of the three attacks you mentioned, I rank the 2005 Ashes attack as the best. The four-pronged pace attack comprising Harmison (17 wickets), Hoggard (16), Flintoff (24) and Jones (18) shared the spoils with solid back-up from Giles (10).

I would normally rate a team that wins an Ashes series 5-1 in Australia very highly but in 78/79 the Australia team was badly depleted due to Packer's World Series. Nevertheless the pace trio of Botham (23 wickets), Willis (20) and Hendrick (19) backed by the spin of Miller (23) and Embury (16) was a balanced and effective attack with Lever and Old adding depth.

When it comes to England attacks involved in Ashes wins in Australia, 3 spring to mind.

The 32/33 series, won 4-1 by England, is well-remembered as the Bodyline series with the main 'villain', Larwood, capturing 33 wickets. He received good support from Allen (21), Voce (15), spinner Verity (11) and all-rounder Hammond (9).

In 54/55 England bounced back from a drubbing in the first Test to win the series 3-1. This series is best remembered for the performances of Tyson (28 wickets) but there was a balanced support act comprising Statham (18), all-rounder Bailey (10) and spinners Appleyard (10) and Wardle (10).

The 70/71 series comprised 7 Tests with the 7th Test added after the 3rd Test was washed out without a ball being bowled. 4 Tests were drawn but England took the honours 2-0. There were 4 strike bowlers used with Snow (31 wickets) the most effective. P. Lever (13), Willis (12) and Shuttleworth (7) shared the supporting pace bowling while Underwood (16) and Illingworth (10) provided spin options. All-rounder D'Oliviera (6) gave extra depth.

Of these three series I would rank the 32/33 attack marginally ahead of the other two. However, the other two attacks were noteworthy in that they both had 2 quality spinners supporting the quicks. The same can be said about the 78/79 England attack. This has not always been the case with England attacks in Australia.
    Last edited by Line and Length; 21-05-2020 at 07:44 PM.
    kingkallis, Kirkut and zorax like this.
    “Don’t accept your dog’s admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.”

Request Your Custom Title Now! Howe_zat's Avatar
    I voted for the one that has the greatest ever English bowler in it.
    zorax likes this.
    Join the CW Commentary Discord - https://discord.gg/2cYpfrf

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    What you talking about? Willis
    GIMH and zorax like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GoodAreasShane View Post
    Well that's just blatantly false
    Everyone that matters, loves Jimmeh.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by Line and Length View Post
    Of the three attacks you mentioned, I rank the 2005 Ashes attack as the best. The four-pronged pace attack comprising Harmison (17 wickets), Hoggard (16), Flintoff (24) and Jones (18) shared the spoils with solid back-up from Giles (10).

I would normally rate a team that wins an Ashes series 5-1 in Australia very highly but in 78/79 the Australia team was badly depleted due to Packer's World Series. Nevertheless the pace trio of Botham (23 wickets), Willis (20) and Hendrick (19) backed by the spin of Miller (23) and Embury (16) was a balanced and effective attack with Lever and Old adding depth.

When it comes to England attacks involved in Ashes wins in Australia, 3 spring to mind.

The 32/33 series, won 4-1 by England, is well-remembered as the Bodyline series with the main 'villain', Larwood, capturing 33 wickets. He received good support from Allen (21), Voce (15), spinner Verity (11) and all-rounder Hammond (9).

In 54/55 England bounced back from a drubbing in the first Test to win the series 3-1. This series is best remembered for the performances of Tyson (28 wickets) but there was a balanced support act comprising Statham (18), all-rounder Bailey (10) and spinners Appleyard (10) and Wardle (10).

The 70/71 series comprised 7 Tests with the 7th Test added after the 3rd Test was washed out without a ball being bowled. 4 Tests were drawn but England took the honours 2-0. There were 4 strike bowlers used with Snow (31 wickets) the most effective. P. Lever (13), Willis (12) and Shuttleworth (7) shared the supporting pace bowling while Underwood (16) and Illingworth (10) provided spin options. All-rounder D'Oliviera (6) gave extra depth.

Of these three series I would rank the 32/33 attack marginally ahead of the other two. However, the other two attacks were noteworthy in that they both had 2 quality spinners supporting the quicks. The same can be said about the 78/79 England attack. This has not always been the case with England attacks in Australia.
    It is hard to judge objectively which attack was the best because the game has changed every decade, but the 32/33 Bodyline series is a part of cricketing folklore, so I would rate that attack very highly too.

Even if top players from Australia missed out 78/79 series due to Kerry Packer cricket, winning 5 tests in Australia will always be extraordinary in my book. Our team needed a prime Bumrah to defeat a weak Aussie side, yet we only won 2-1.

Ashes 2005 was a genuinely great attack, but they could not retain the aura after that series. Lost to Pakistan in 2005 before the 5-0 drubbing in 06/07 Ashes.

2011-2012 when England were number one in tests had an excellent attack. They managed to win in India in 2012 which is huge for any non Asian team to do.
    zorax likes this.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Go on Bresy lad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information