• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Reverse Alphabetic Draft

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It is like a really good version of an England in 2018 team, just needs another keeper in there somewhere.

Last edited:

ataraxia

International Coach
1. WH Ponsford /
2. GM Turner /
3. IVA Richards / pt
4. MD Crowe / pt
5. WW Armstrong* / o
6. SR Waugh / pt
7. RJ Hadlee o /
8. WAS Oldfield + /
9. RR Lindwall o /
10. DL Underwood o
11. AA Donald o

With stars such as Richard Hadlee, Viv Richards, a̶n̶d̶ ̶W̶a̶r̶w̶i̶c̶k̶ ̶A̶r̶m̶s̶t̶r̶o̶n̶g, this side is somewhat good. The weak links are Turner, Oldfield, Underwood (fine, and Armstrong) -- but they aren't that weak, and all are underrated.

Who knows what Glenn Turner could have done with decent batting backup like in this team. With Ponsford, the opening backbone is aggressive and unconcerning, though perhaps a bit under par.

Oldfield was known as the keeper to spin (as well as being a half-decent batsman), strengthening the perhaps weak spin department of this side. But I don't think it's that weak at all. Armstrong was a nice leg-spin bowler -- in fact he was more prodigious than the legendary Monty Noble, the latter of whom played in an easier era for the ball. Derek Underwood is generally forgotten as one of the great spinners, but he truly was great. In an era dominated by fierce quicks, Underwood toiled away at medium-pace through so many test matches, ending up with a test bowling average very similar to Shane Warne's.

The pace bowling is absolutely fantastic, with speed and aim both being covered extremely well. The batting overall is fairly good though not great. Three part-timers also add options to the attack.

Lastly, copying my praise of Armstrong: [Armstrong] "had the best batting stats in FC for an Australian of his era -- better than Trumper's and Hill's (Armstrong's test stats are exceedingly close to their's as well). He also averaged under 20 with the ball in the FC arena, picking up an enormous 832 wickets -- madly good in Australia where less FC matches are played.

In fact, in both disciplines Armstrong's stats are undeniably better than the great Monty Noble's. Noble played in slightly harder conditions to bat, but the difference between Armstrong and Noble's batting averages in both arenas are enough to justify Armstrong's statistical advantage. This also makes Armstrong's FC bowling record as compared to Noble's even greater.

Armstrong was a true hidden gem of Australian cricket".

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Born before tests draft is over. Are you guys up for an ODI debut chronological draft modelled on this draft? Please hit like if you want it run. If you are not up for it, don't hit like, I won't be offended. If lot of people are interested, I can start it.