• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Twenty20 VS One-Day

Waughney

International Debutant
http://www.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2004/JUN/165974_COL-ENGLAND_09JUN2004.html
What do you think of this article?
I'm not really in a position to comment on which is better not having ever seen a twenty20 game myself. However I think it is too way early to jump to any conclusions and "bin ODI's". Let the 2 forms co-exist for a while, If twenty20 comes out on top after a period of 10 or so years then maybe let it become the main form of shortened game. IMO both forms can flourish together, a 3 match 20-20 series could easily be done over 3 days, a series like this will only lengthen a tour by maybe 5-7 days.

Anyway what do you guys think of about twenty20 cricket, the game itself and its possible side effects on ODI's?

a massive zebra

International Captain
Waughney said:
http://www.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2004/JUN/165974_COL-ENGLAND_09JUN2004.html
What do you think of this article?
I'm not really in a position to comment on which is better not having ever seen a twenty20 game myself. However I think it is too way early to jump to any conclusions and "bin ODI's". Let the 2 forms co-exist for a while, If twenty20 comes out on top after a period of 10 or so years then maybe let it become the main form of shortened game. IMO both forms can flourish together, a 3 match 20-20 series could easily be done over 3 days, a series like this will only lengthen a tour by maybe 5-7 days.

Anyway what do you guys think of about twenty20 cricket, the game itself and its possible side effects on ODI's?
20/20 cricket is basically baseball with stumps. It will bring too many Afridiesque sloggers to the game, and lead to plenty of 2 day Tests. Keep 50 over cricket which is a reasonable and popular alternative to the real thing.

Sudeep

International Captain
a massive zebra said:
20/20 cricket is basically baseball with stumps. It will bring too many Afridiesque sloggers to the game, and lead to plenty of 2 day Tests. Keep 50 over cricket which is a reasonable and popular alternative to the real thing.
Don't agree with you on your description of Twenty20.

I'm still against Twenty20 completely replacing 50-overs cricket, but the former amongst international teams will provide some interesting (read exciting) viewing.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Twenty20 is the marketing man's dream - a complete game of cricket in a session.

Work until 5.00 pm, pick up the kids, pop down to the cricket, see the complete game, home before the kids have eaten the second burger or finished colouring in the pictures of Candy Haddick.

One week a year, please - AND NO MORE!!!!

Sudeep

International Captain
BTW, a similar thread is in existence, "ODIs vs. Test matches", which has taken the course of ODIs vs. Twenty20 vs. Tests.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sudeep said:
Or maybe a game or three, at the start or conclusion of a tour?
Why, for god's sake? It's cricket dreamed up by marketing men for people with the attention-span of oh look over there - a bunny rabbit.

It's a means of getting kids into the game only, something to do on the long, warm summer nights where dads can take the kids along to watch Leicestershire - and use Brad Cheaty-Hodge as an example of teaching them the difference between right and wrong.

Twenty20 has NO redeeming features that cannot be measured in pints.

What am I talking about? Let's have it in place of test cricket.

P.S. The bit about Cheaty-Hodge is a joke.

P.P.S. No it isn't

Sudeep

International Captain
Let me edit my sentence:

Or a game or three, at the beginning or conclusion of a tour, occasionally, not regularly?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Been to two...

On one occasion we had to sit next to an effing loud speaker which blared out BS.. So take some good headphones and some nice music because it is a bit of a tacky assault on the senses... You can tell its been designed for leftist tweenagers :D ... However the cricket was good (Shame it was Somerset playing, so only half of it was good)

I see no reason why they cannot co exist together, don't want too much Twenty20 though... (No point in even thinking about this though, we all know that in 40 years time the only major cricket played will be 20/20)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I was at the Finals day at Trent Bridge last year - and I'm sorry, but there's no way that it can be defined as baseball with stumps.

My remaining memories of the day (apart from Jamie Grove's 11-ball over) are Alex Gidman's fantastically improvised fifty against Surrey, and then in the final when James Ormond took 4-11 with a quite excellent display of seam bowling.

Personally I wouldn't have any objection at all to seeing 20-over cricket displace 50-over cricket in the subsidiary role to Tests.

tooextracool

International Coach
personally i dont think 20-20 is something that will replace ODI cricket.....i wouldnt mind if it were an english thing.....ie if touring teams played a 20-20 game with england but i dont think it should be used to replace ODI cricket.