• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Twenty20 VS One-Day

Loony BoB

International Captain
one_dayer said:
Football is on the tv every day in England and its the most popular sport, so obviously people dont get bored of that song because it is taken seriously as a sport, same could happen with Twenty20 if it is marketed correctly and not treated as a mess about, you never know. Was Cricket Max taken seriously or was it just a one off mess about? 10 overs a side does seem too short to be honest.
I wasn't referring to soccer, though, which of course doesn't have a longer version of the game. I'm sure that five-a-side soccer and sevens rugby won't out-do their larger counterparts, either, nor would a 10 lap race outdo Formula One Grand Prix racing.

Cricket Max, however, seems to have lost a lot of popularity. It's nice to see a quick thrill-spill of big hits and everything, but once you've seen a few years of it it does tend to get less interesting, and you'll find people will return to the longer versions of the game because there's more strategy involved and inevitably more to talk about.

I think NZ has more experience than any other nation when it comes to the shorter versions of cricket, and I'm pretty sure that Cricket Max has indeed died, unless of course for some reason Google can't find a single report on the game.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Neil Pickup said:
You're the first person I've seen to call Hussain a "marvellous 50-over batsman". Ever.

Very, very few shots in Twenty20 are blind slogs - simply because if you lose the big wickets early then you are well and truly screwed. As many key wickets on finals day were 'traditional' dismissals (LBW/Bowled/Ct Keeper/Slips). Concentration needs to be total for all 120 balls (+ some more if David Stiff's bowling), whereas in 50-overs there are dead patches.
1/ I was starved of examples. My mind went blank.

2/ If you lose early wickets in OD's you are screwed as well.

3/ Are you saying that OD players don't have to concentrate for the 300 balls? :dry: :wacko:

Loony BoB

International Captain
On the brighter side for one of my favoured players, Andre Adams would be back in the national squad if Twenty20 cricket went international. :D

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
I do have other examples Neil - Atapattu, Jayawardene, many other good sub-continent players etc.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
They've never played 20-20... you would be surprised to see the success/failures.

Andy Flower's not a big hitter, and he averaged 53 @ 147 SR, Knight 46 @ 130, Katich 60 @ 112, Strauss 35 @ 140, Smith 33 @ 144...

bennyr

U19 12th Man
Having not seen this format of the game I'd like to know a bit more about it.

Are there fielding restrictions applied?

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
Mr. Ponting said:
True, I have never seen one, ok.

But I fail to understand your logic when you say "To succeed in 20-20 cricket, you need to be an excellent batsman, while in 50-over rubbish, just about any incompetent seems able to do well."

Surely in 20-20 cricket all the batsmen have to do is hit the hell out of the ball? (Obviously there are exceptions)
You are coming up with all the objections and criticisms which I came up with before I'd seen any 20-20 cricket.

Then I watched some 20-20 games on the TV last year, and realised I was wrong about nearly everything.

Maintaining an S/R of about 80/100 balls is relatively easy - lots of incompetents can knock singles around and whack the odd boundary here and there, especially off part-time bowlers.

But in 20-20, you can easily afford to have 2 or 3 non-batting bowlers who can be the real deal, not just dibby-dobby medium pacers who can bat a bit, so there are fewer part-time bowlers to clobber, and less opportunity for unskilled batsmen. If a single is a failure and a dot ball a disaster, then a wicket is a double disaster because not only have you failed to score off nearly 1% of your allotted batting time, but it's a pound to a penny that you'll have to concede another dot ball for the new batsman, and that's 1.5% of your batting down the drain. Do that 9 times in an innings and you've lost about a seventh of your opportunity - in 50-over cricket, losing all your wickets takes up about a seventeenth of your time.

In fact, maintaining the kind of strike rate you want, ie 150+, is very difficult to do over a longish period like 45 balls. The slow bowlers are especially deadly because they toss it up with no pace on the ball and try to turn it, the batsmen are just about compelled to try and leather it, and the spinner ends up with 3-26 off his four overs, which is an excellent return.

In Test cricket, the unit of currency is basically the session - if you win more sessions than you lose, you win the match, roughly speaking. In 50-over cricket, the unit is the over. In 20-20, it's the ball, and that concentrates the mind wonderfully.

There is no room for passengers in a 20-20 side, no room for lapses of concentration, no time to recover lost ground.

In fact, 20-20 has the virtues which people have been trying to convince me abound in 50-over cricket but which I've seen only very rarely in that slow, dreary and bloated form of the game.

Cheers,

Mike

Last edited: