• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sri Lanka in Australia thread

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Don't think this has been started yet.

This could've been billed as the battle of the great spinners (part 2), but wth Warne's broken hand and Murali's "spoilt brat act", there's a chance neither will play!

Sudeep

International Captain
Shaun Tait has been named in the 13-man squad, but it's very unlikely that he'll make his debut.

So, if Warne does miss the series, MacGill should get a return call?

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sudeep said:
Shaun Tait has been named in the 13-man squad, but it's very unlikely that he'll make his debut.

So, if Warne does miss the series, MacGill should get a return call?
Should.

Will be interesting if the selectors still have MacGill in mind.

Sudeep

International Captain
Revelation said:
i personally don't think that they do.....they even seem to want to give glenn marching orders.
As discussed in the other thread, it would be stupid of them to do so. Judging a returning superstar from his performance in one series is unfair.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The big call is MacGill or White - White never did anything wrong in the Zimbabwe Test series to be fair to him, but it's got to be MacGill for me.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I am still looking for a missing thread " Shane Warne likely to miss series" . Where did it go ?

Have just read three newsitems - Australian 11 th June 04 - Ponting urges Murali to tour by Jon Pierik
Herald Sun - 12 th June 04 -Come on Murali time to grow up (Shane Warne) by Ben English(London)
Herald Sun - 12th June 04 - I want a break (Murali) by Jon Pierik

I don't know how to create a link to these news items. But they are interesting .

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Don't know that there is a thread, he only broke his hand yesterday afternoon (or rather Darren Gough broke his hand!)

With the series round the corner, I didn't think it worth posting a separate thread.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
The only way the Lankans will survive in this series is by depending a lot less on Murali. It may have worked against a third string team, but not against the best Test team- when they played as a one-bowler team, they have always been thrashed with ease.

They should also look to play 2 or even 3 spinners in the XI- there is no way a medium-pacer will unsettle the Australians- they have taken Nuwan Kulasekara to the cleaners repeatedly, the only good thing about Nuwan Zoysa is that he can bat a bit (so can MacGill) but his bowling is average and even Vaas, one of the best seam bowlers of today, struggles against the Australians. The spinners have kept them in check -the Australians have nopt been so imperious as agaisnt the so-called fast bowlers. Murali may get wickets, but he needs a Rangana Herath or Nimesh Perera at the other end to support him. They can support him better than a Kulasekara or Zoysa.

The batting is always a worry, but they are not helping themselves by picking Russel Arnold, who has been nothing but a defensive struggler. There is the aggressive Saman Jayantha waiting in the wings for 10 years and deserved a place more than Arnold. There is Michael Vandort, a hard hitter, who can give as good as the Lankan bowlers get from the Aussie batsmen. Mahela has to return to form, or his place could go to an A-team player. They need to play aggressively, as that is how they have played their best cricket- not just hitting, but also running.

Fielding has never been a real problem, but Arnold is a weak link. They can still field well, but they have their weaknesses. Wicketkeeping is also a problem, since Kalu is out of form even with the gloves- the best reason to include him. Sangakkara is a good batsman, but a horrible keeper- nobody who misses a stumping off Adam Gilchrist, who scores a fast 100, deserves to wear the gloves.

Balance is no real problem, but will be disturbed if they play 7 batsmen- with just 4 bowlers and a far from promising bits-and-pieces bowler group, the Aussies will win matches not by bowling, but by batting. The batting skills of Chandana, Maharoof and Vaas will be important, as much as the bowling of Sanath. Ultimately, the Lankans should fear no one- not even the best Test team by a country mile.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Arjun said:
the only good thing about Nuwan Zoysa is that he can bat a bit (so can MacGill) but his bowling is average and even Vaas, one of the best seam bowlers of today, struggles against the Australians.
Serious?

Arjun said:
Mahela has to return to form, or his place could go to an A-team player. They need to play aggressively, as that is how they have played their best cricket- not just hitting, but also running.
He would have to be in a very bad run of form to be dropped considering he is the vice captain. And I seem to remember he got a hundred in his last test, although I could be wrong, and I didn't think he was that bad against Australia.

Arjun said:
Fielding has never been a real problem, but Arnold is a weak link. They can still field well, but they have their weaknesses. Wicketkeeping is also a problem, since Kalu is out of form even with the gloves- the best reason to include him. Sangakkara is a good batsman, but a horrible keeper- nobody who misses a stumping off Adam Gilchrist, who scores a fast 100, deserves to wear the gloves.
I think you should give him more credit. IMO he is a very good keeper.

Sudeep

International Captain
Mister Wright said:
Serious?

He would have to be in a very bad run of form to be dropped considering he is the vice captain. And I seem to remember he got a hundred in his last test, although I could be wrong, and I didn't think he was that bad against Australia.

If not very good, he's at least decent enough.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
MacGill's batting is a joke, but Zoysa's no great tailender either- even Bichel and Lee can bat better. Percy, the official Lankan cheerleader, spotted him as an all-rounder, but he has never done much justice to his batting potential.

Good, but not the best. The team needs a wicketkeeper who will last long- he won't.

Waughney

International Debutant
What happened to the thread I created?

marc71178 said:
Don't know that there is a thread, he only broke his hand yesterday afternoon (or rather Darren Gough broke his hand!)

With the series round the corner, I didn't think it worth posting a separate thread.
There was a thread. I created it about 4 hours ago but it seems to have disappeared (I think the server was having troubles again or something??) Never mind we can dicuss it hear.
PS here's the link to the article anyway: http://www.cricinfo.com.au/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2004/JUN/167825_AUS_12JUN2004.html

Waughney

International Debutant
Arjun said:
They should also look to play 2 or even 3 spinners in the XI- there is no way a medium-pacer will unsettle the Australians- they have taken Nuwan Kulasekara to the cleaners repeatedly, the only good thing about Nuwan Zoysa is that he can bat a bit (so can MacGill) but his bowling is average and even Vaas, one of the best seam bowlers of today, struggles against the Australians. The spinners have kept them in check -the Australians have nopt been so imperious as agaisnt the so-called fast bowlers. Murali may get wickets, but he needs a Rangana Herath or Nimesh Perera at the other end to support him. They can support him better than a Kulasekara or Zoysa.
It is definately not a good idea to play 2 or 3 spinners, the pitches at Cairns and Darwin are going to favour the pacemen (the reason for Macgill not being picked) and offer little help to spinners. At most 2 spinners but 3 is out of the question.

Last edited:

Waughney

International Debutant
Arjun said:
MacGill's batting is a joke, but Zoysa's no great tailender either- even Bichel and Lee can bat better. Percy, the official Lankan cheerleader, spotted him as an all-rounder, but he has never done much justice to his batting potential.
Zoysa has shown his potential as an all rounder in the ODI series against Australia winning a match for them with an unbeaten knock of about 40 off about as many balls, so I don't see why he doesn't have a chance of doing similar things in the tests.
Also you make it sound as though Bichel is a bad tail-end batsmen. He saved Australia in the world cup and only recently scored a First class century for Queensland.

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
Bichel has 2 first class 100's and 12 first class 50's which isn't bad for a bowler. He even has a limited overs 100 (and 3 50's).
The only batsman worse than MacGill is McGrath.

Waughney

International Debutant
Actually McGrath is now rated more highly than MacGill in the batting stakes by both Waugh and Ponting.

Craig

World Traveller
Jnr. said:
Bichel has 2 first class 100's and 12 first class 50's which isn't bad for a bowler. He even has a limited overs 100 (and 3 50's).
The only batsman worse than MacGill is McGrath.
Nathan Bracken and Brad Williams are not excatly the next Steve Waugh with the bat.