Page 1 of 52 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Sri Lanka in Australia thread

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar

Sri Lanka in Australia thread

Don't think this has been started yet.

This could've been billed as the battle of the great spinners (part 2), but wth Warne's broken hand and Murali's "spoilt brat act", there's a chance neither will play!
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Shaun Tait has been named in the 13-man squad, but it's very unlikely that he'll make his debut.

So, if Warne does miss the series, MacGill should get a return call?
    "The optimum human population of earth is zero." - Dave Foreman

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudeep
    Shaun Tait has been named in the 13-man squad, but it's very unlikely that he'll make his debut.

So, if Warne does miss the series, MacGill should get a return call?
    Should.

Will be interesting if the selectors still have MacGill in mind.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

U19 Debutant
    i personally don't think that they do.....they even seem to want to give glenn marching orders.

Quote Originally Posted by Revelation
    i personally don't think that they do.....they even seem to want to give glenn marching orders.
    As discussed in the other thread, it would be stupid of them to do so. Judging a returning superstar from his performance in one series is unfair.

The big call is MacGill or White - White never did anything wrong in the Zimbabwe Test series to be fair to him, but it's got to be MacGill for me.

I am still looking for a missing thread " Shane Warne likely to miss series" . Where did it go ?

Have just read three newsitems - Australian 11 th June 04 - Ponting urges Murali to tour by Jon Pierik
    Herald Sun - 12 th June 04 -Come on Murali time to grow up (Shane Warne) by Ben English(London)
    Herald Sun - 12th June 04 - I want a break (Murali) by Jon Pierik

I don't know how to create a link to these news items. But they are interesting .

Don't know that there is a thread, he only broke his hand yesterday afternoon (or rather Darren Gough broke his hand!)

With the series round the corner, I didn't think it worth posting a separate thread.

The only way the Lankans will survive in this series is by depending a lot less on Murali. It may have worked against a third string team, but not against the best Test team- when they played as a one-bowler team, they have always been thrashed with ease.

They should also look to play 2 or even 3 spinners in the XI- there is no way a medium-pacer will unsettle the Australians- they have taken Nuwan Kulasekara to the cleaners repeatedly, the only good thing about Nuwan Zoysa is that he can bat a bit (so can MacGill) but his bowling is average and even Vaas, one of the best seam bowlers of today, struggles against the Australians. The spinners have kept them in check -the Australians have nopt been so imperious as agaisnt the so-called fast bowlers. Murali may get wickets, but he needs a Rangana Herath or Nimesh Perera at the other end to support him. They can support him better than a Kulasekara or Zoysa.

The batting is always a worry, but they are not helping themselves by picking Russel Arnold, who has been nothing but a defensive struggler. There is the aggressive Saman Jayantha waiting in the wings for 10 years and deserved a place more than Arnold. There is Michael Vandort, a hard hitter, who can give as good as the Lankan bowlers get from the Aussie batsmen. Mahela has to return to form, or his place could go to an A-team player. They need to play aggressively, as that is how they have played their best cricket- not just hitting, but also running.

Fielding has never been a real problem, but Arnold is a weak link. They can still field well, but they have their weaknesses. Wicketkeeping is also a problem, since Kalu is out of form even with the gloves- the best reason to include him. Sangakkara is a good batsman, but a horrible keeper- nobody who misses a stumping off Adam Gilchrist, who scores a fast 100, deserves to wear the gloves.

Balance is no real problem, but will be disturbed if they play 7 batsmen- with just 4 bowlers and a far from promising bits-and-pieces bowler group, the Aussies will win matches not by bowling, but by batting. The batting skills of Chandana, Maharoof and Vaas will be important, as much as the bowling of Sanath. Ultimately, the Lankans should fear no one- not even the best Test team by a country mile.
    "Talent is nothing without opportunity"
    "You're not remembered for aiming at the target, but hitting it"

Twenty20 used to be boring.

Sponsored...by...nothing!!!

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arjun
    the only good thing about Nuwan Zoysa is that he can bat a bit (so can MacGill) but his bowling is average and even Vaas, one of the best seam bowlers of today, struggles against the Australians.
    Serious?

Mahela has to return to form, or his place could go to an A-team player. They need to play aggressively, as that is how they have played their best cricket- not just hitting, but also running.
    He would have to be in a very bad run of form to be dropped considering he is the vice captain. And I seem to remember he got a hundred in his last test, although I could be wrong, and I didn't think he was that bad against Australia.

Fielding has never been a real problem, but Arnold is a weak link. They can still field well, but they have their weaknesses. Wicketkeeping is also a problem, since Kalu is out of form even with the gloves- the best reason to include him. Sangakkara is a good batsman, but a horrible keeper- nobody who misses a stumping off Adam Gilchrist, who scores a fast 100, deserves to wear the gloves.
    I think you should give him more credit. IMO he is a very good keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Wright
    Serious?

He would have to be in a very bad run of form to be dropped considering he is the vice captain. And I seem to remember he got a hundred in his last test, although I could be wrong, and I didn't think he was that bad against Australia.

If not very good, he's at least decent enough.

Serious?
    MacGill's batting is a joke, but Zoysa's no great tailender either- even Bichel and Lee can bat better. Percy, the official Lankan cheerleader, spotted him as an all-rounder, but he has never done much justice to his batting potential.

Good, but not the best. The team needs a wicketkeeper who will last long- he won't.

International Debutant Waughney's Avatar
    Outback Aus. Answer's yes, the middle of nowhere

What happened to the thread I created?

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    Don't know that there is a thread, he only broke his hand yesterday afternoon (or rather Darren Gough broke his hand!)

With the series round the corner, I didn't think it worth posting a separate thread.
    There was a thread. I created it about 4 hours ago but it seems to have disappeared (I think the server was having troubles again or something??) Never mind we can dicuss it hear.
    PS here's the link to the article anyway: http://www.cricinfo.com.au/link_to_d...12JUN2004.html
    Member of MSC - Murali Supporters Club

I'm not too dissimilar a batsman to Bradman.
    Both of us have batting averages below 100.

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Waughney
    There was a thread. I created it about 4 hours ago but it seems to have disappeared (I think the server was having troubles again or something??) Never mind we can dicuss it hear.
    PS here's the link to the article anyway: http://www.cricinfo.com.au/link_to_d...12JUN2004.html
    There's some changes going on at present - please bear with us.
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

International Debutant Waughney's Avatar
    Outback Aus. Answer's yes, the middle of nowhere
    They should also look to play 2 or even 3 spinners in the XI- there is no way a medium-pacer will unsettle the Australians- they have taken Nuwan Kulasekara to the cleaners repeatedly, the only good thing about Nuwan Zoysa is that he can bat a bit (so can MacGill) but his bowling is average and even Vaas, one of the best seam bowlers of today, struggles against the Australians. The spinners have kept them in check -the Australians have nopt been so imperious as agaisnt the so-called fast bowlers. Murali may get wickets, but he needs a Rangana Herath or Nimesh Perera at the other end to support him. They can support him better than a Kulasekara or Zoysa.
    It is definately not a good idea to play 2 or 3 spinners, the pitches at Cairns and Darwin are going to favour the pacemen (the reason for Macgill not being picked) and offer little help to spinners. At most 2 spinners but 3 is out of the question.
    Last edited by Waughney; 12-06-2004 at 03:30 AM.

Page 1 of 52 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread Information