• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ODIS vs Test Matches

MoxPearl

State Vice-Captain
Just wondering what do u guys prefer ? and why

i guess im one of the "masses" that prefer ODIs than test matches..

i dunno about u but being in the middle of a bar when it comes down to the last few balls is always a good feeling and i dont think u can beat that in a test match..

Most of u seem like die hard cricket people who analyse everything so im guessing ill b in the minority here D:!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Don't be alarmed if this thread gets shifted or closed - I'm sure we had the same one a couple of weeks ago. A moderator might resurrect that one for you - I'm just too tired and in need of a brain transplant.

FWIW, I could live with the possibility that one-dayers had never been invented, but I couldn't live without the longer version of the game.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
What's the betting that 50-over ODIs get discontinued before too long to be replaced with 20s?

Interesting article on t'other site about it atm..

chicane

State Captain
20 over games will bring too many useless blind sloggers into the game. The 50 over format has kept things in balance while also helping improve scoring rates in Test cricket. Reducing ODI's to 20 overs is too drastic, they should just look at juggling with fielding restrictions, bowler restrictions etc.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
superkingdave said:
Does anyone remember that jingle

'One day cricket, one day cricket, catch the action on one day cricket'
You swine.

Now I shall be singing that all evening!!!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
chicane said:
20 over games will bring too many useless blind sloggers into the game. The 50 over format has kept things in balance while also helping improve scoring rates in Test cricket. Reducing ODI's to 20 overs is too drastic, they should just look at juggling with fielding restrictions, bowler restrictions etc.
Not watched much of it, have you?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Whats wrong with 30 overs?

Im one of the "minority" who prefer test cricket.. (Although ODI's are pretty good too, and I prefer the NCL to the CC in England)

But saying that, I would far rather watch a Daren Ganga or Neil McKenzie innings in a test match than a Gilchrist or Cairns biff in one day mode...

Revelation

U19 Debutant
NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING can beat Test Match Cricket.

The traditional matches of WI-ENG,WI-AUS,ENG-AUS and now the battle of the giants, AUS-IND ....wouldn't trade it for anything......An ODI match WILL NEVER see a Lara 153*, a Laxman 281 or any of the greatest knocks ever played.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Revelation said:
NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING can beat Test Match Cricket.

The traditional matches of WI-ENG,WI-AUS,ENG-AUS and now the battle of the giants, AUS-IND ....wouldn't trade it for anything......An ODI match WILL NEVER see a Lara 153*, a Laxman 281 or any of the greatest knocks ever played.
But a test match will never harbour a 37 ball 100....

No matter what you can say about the type of game played, you cant get that kind of thrill from a test match... Thats incredible stuff....

Heck to a serious fan they are two completely different games :)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Revelation said:
hey, you can't get everything from one version, but if i had to give up one, i'm sure it won't be Tests.
Me neither. If forced to choose, well, I was here long before ODI's were thought of.

one_dayer

Cricket Spectator
Well I watch both forms of the game but got into Cricket through the ODI's so I am biased in favour of them. I like to see aggression in sport, for example I prefer to see a Boxing bout between two brawlers who go toe to toe than a bout between 2 counter punchers who dance around the ring jabbing each other for 12 rounds. I love seeing big hitters smacking the ball to all parts, bowlers smashing the wickets out of the ground, fielders leaping through the air and catching the ball with one hand, run outs, close finishes etc, I find One Day Cricket offers me such entertainment on a more regular basis than Test Cricket.

I still watch both though and will continue to do so but One Day Cricket isnt appreciated enough and that is sad, I get fed up hearing the snobs describing it as "Pyjama Cricket" and "pointless", they are doing nothing but hurting Cricket in the long run. :(

Im also a fan of Twenty20 Cricket and was pleased to hear the news this week that England will play Australia next year in the first international Twenty20 match. :cool2:

Twenty20 for 2005 Ashes series

Last edited:

anzac

International Debutant
Langeveldt said:
But a test match will never harbour a 37 ball 100....

No matter what you can say about the type of game played, you cant get that kind of thrill from a test match... Thats incredible stuff....

Heck to a serious fan they are two completely different games :)
does Astle's 222 in 168 balls (28x4s & 11x6s) come close enough?????

Andre

International Regular
I'm an unashamed Test match fan. Call me a purist, but there is something romantic about the first morning of a Test match.

Tests all the way.

Sudeep

International Captain
Tests, ODIs, Twenty20... doesn't matter as long as GOOD cricket is put up on show.

chicane said:
I suggest you read the article on t'other site if you haven't yet done so.

blackcapsrule

State 12th Man
Sudeep said:
Tests, ODIs, Twenty20... doesn't matter as long as GOOD cricket is put up on show.

I suggest you read the article on t'other site if you haven't yet done so.
Agree, I don't care what version of the game im watching aslong as it is compeditive and enjoyable. :)

Waughney

International Debutant
I absolutely love both forms of the game.
But if someone gave me the choice between a test match and a ODI I'd choose the test for sure. I love the rivalry, the history, the high stakes, the records, the vintage performances in other words the game :p ODI's have these as well but an Ashes ODI tournament doesn't have that atmosphere and rivalry etc. like a test would.
Tests: 20/20 ODI: 19.5/20