• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Grand Wicky

a massive zebra

International Captain
Was Parore really that good? I never really took much interest in his career but he never striked me as being amazing behind the stumps. And until now I had never heard anyone talk about him in such high regard. As good as Healy????

tooextracool

International Coach
Loony BoB said:
let alone the best of his time if he was as "crap" as you say he is.
parore was never ever ever the best of his time...healy was ahead of him by a country mile, as was jack russell. parore was reliable, and perhaps for a very brief period the best keeper around.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
tooextracool said:
1)mcgrath and caddick arent truly 'fast' bowlers!
Agreed, Mate . Its "swing" as well.

What I was trying to say was, that Parore kept wickets for bowlers who rarely got nicks, whereas Healy, Boucher etc were kept busier by the bowlers whom they were keeping for ! Hence to suggest just because he only missed a few he is the greatest keeper is a flawed argument, IMO. The latter two may have missed a few, but they collected more too ( I suspect). And because they played for successful teams their mistakes may have been more evident or highlighted , whereas M/S Parore may have escaped much notice or attention with regard to what he dropped !!

Loony BoB

International Captain
I'm not saying it's definite that he was, I'm just saying that if some of the experts (let alone a reasonable amount of them) regarded him as the best keeper, that he's definitely not so crap as to be dismissed in the fashion that Jason here is showing.

As for Healy/Russell, I won't talk about what I don't know, but what I do know is that they weren't playing test cricket after 1999 and it wasn't until after 1999 that Parore was at his best.

For all we know, there was some wicky over in India who might have been the best in the world but was never brought to test level and therefore nobody ever recognised his ability, so I'm not going to go down to county level either. I'm talking international level.

Either way, I'm not going to say outright that Parore was the best of his time, but I will say that I firmly believe he's the best wicket keeper NZ has ever had, and that he was, at his prime, the best wicket keeper at test level.

tooextracool

International Coach
Loony BoB said:
I'm not saying it's definite that he was, I'm just saying that if some of the experts (let alone a reasonable amount of them) regarded him as the best keeper, that he's definitely not so crap as to be dismissed in the fashion that Jason here is showing.
there would be very few people(if any at all, they couldnt be called experts) who would rate parore as a better keeper than healy. many say that warne wouldnt have reached 500 wickets if it werent for healy.
parore was reliable, but one must remember that he never really got to keep up to a quality spinner.

Loony BoB

International Captain
tooextracool said:
there would be very few people(if any at all, they couldnt be called experts) who would rate parore as a better keeper than healy. many say that warne wouldnt have reached 500 wickets if it werent for healy.
parore was reliable, but one must remember that he never really got to keep up to a quality spinner.
You can't blame Parore for that nor can you say he's less capable because of that. Parore was never tested and therefore can't be faulted for how well he keeps to Warne. That's like saying Russell isn't any good because he didn't keep to Warne either (unless Warne played for the same county, mind you...).

I still haven't said that Parore was better than Healy. There were a good three years (and that's a reasonable length of time) that Healy was not around while Parore was keeping.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I regard Vettori as a quality spinner when he was at his best, and Parore played a big part in Vettori being the youngest spinner to reach 100 test wickets..."Yes Danny Boy!" was heard through the stump microphone a number of times.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
_Ed_ said:
I regard Vettori as a quality spinner when he was at his best, and Parore played a big part in Vettori being the youngest spinner to reach 100 test wickets..."Yes Danny Boy!" was heard through the stump microphone a number of times.
The pipes, the pipes were calling.

Andre

International Regular
tooextracool said:
umm healy?russell?
Umm, Parore played for another 2-3 years after the retirement of Healy, and by taht time Russell was long gone. Care to explain who filled the blank spot?

tooextracool

International Coach
Andre said:
Umm, Parore played for another 2-3 years after the retirement of Healy, and by taht time Russell was long gone. Care to explain who filled the blank spot?
yes but it was stated that parore was the best keeper 'of his time'....and im guessing of his time would include players like healy and russell.
ive already mentioned that parore was for a brief period of time the best keeper around so it would be pointless to reiterate it.

Andre

International Regular
tooextracool said:
yes but it was stated that parore was the best keeper 'of his time'....and im guessing of his time would include players like healy and russell.
ive already mentioned that parore was for a brief period of time the best keeper around so it would be pointless to reiterate it.
My mistake.

twctopcat

International Regular
luckyeddie said:
It's the old 'batting' thing creeping in again, possibly.
It must be, i remember the 5th test at the oval last year Boucher seemed to have some sort of keepers yips. Crowd cheered him every time he caught a ball!
Certainly nowhere near the best by any stretch as far as the gloves are concerned.

masterblaster

International Captain
Syed Kirmani would have to go down as the best 'wicketkeeper' in Indian Cricketing history.

He overtakes Mongia in my opinion. Although Mongia was absolutely brilliant when keeping to Anil Kumble when Kumble was in his prime.