• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Slater Retires

Andre

International Regular
luckyeddie said:
Yup - that's the Sky Sprouts guys.

At least you don't get Dermot Pratt-Reeve-Pratt.
We still get him on the TV show Inside Cricket though, where he does all these weird Imran Khan impersonations and whatever else captures his fancy :wacko:

tooextracool

International Coach
Andre said:
Marc - the commentators are generally Bob Willis, David Gower, Ian Bothan, Paul Allott, David Lloyd, Michael Holding with Ian Smith and Brian Waddle as guests.
and martin crowe....

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
About the only link I could find.

That's bizarre that Sky have the rights to the overseas, but not in England!
The government wont let them sell all the rights to Home cricket tests to none Terrestrial channels, but away from Home England dont have a say on who can buy the rights so Sky who have a tonne more money to bid get all the overseas stuff.

The reason 1 home test a year is shown on sky is in a deal to let ch4 have highlights of all the one dayers.

Craig

World Traveller
Andre said:
I agree. Foxtel promised a full English summer of cricket live and then backed out. I'll be lodging my complaint soon.
Go for it Andre.

You can count on my support in making your complaint.

I just hope they do not do it for the Natwest Series (I believe there is the Natwest challenge), and the WI tour of England.

I'm looking forward to seeing a new and improved Tino Best and Pedro Collins.

Piper

International Captain
I am sorry Slater has retired, he was a really good batsman. And i will miss him for that!

Slow Love™

International Captain
Great post, Top_Cat.

I really enjoyed Slats, he was the epitome of the flawed genius. So much talent he didn't know what to do with it, and an almost neurotic temperament (in some ways like Lara, although Lara's temperament doesn't seem to negatively affect his batting like it did Slater's). Always came across as a really nice guy, albeit with that one little blemish on the field.

Such a pity his career was cut short (by several factors, including bad luck), but I get the impression he doesn't lack for other things in life after cricket.