• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Slater Retires

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
Sorry I haven't been on here much in the last couple of days but I want to respond to Marc's post about him being nervous.

I rection if selectors are constantly making it public that they're "testing you out" and looking down your back, it doesn't set a very positive mind set in your head. If they would've told him like they told Mark Taylor and others your spot in the team's safe then he would've flourished.

He is a really hard hitting player, uses his feet brilliantly, he had everything a one day player needed. And if they needed to drop someone out down the order it didn't have to be Bevan or Steve Waugh, could've been Blewett or Martyn or whoever batted back then.

luckyeddie said:
Treat people with respect, and even I will do the same to you - that's a promise. Come out with more chalp like you did to Andre earlier and you won't find many prepared to give you the time of day.
Big words from you, pot. You, by your own admission, stimulate aggressive responses from people for fun, so let it hang on your bulbus, egocentric head.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Gaijin-san said:
Big words from you, pot. You, by your own admission, stimulate aggressive responses from people for fun, so let it hang on your bulbus, egocentric head.
Not at all - only the overly-aggressive and humourless members such as yourself.

You obviously have difficulty with reading and comprehension so I shall repeat my previous statement..

"Treat people with respect, and even I will do the same to you - that's a promise. Come out with more chalp like you did to Andre earlier and you won't find many prepared to give you the time of day."

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Was it 95 or so against Lancashire?

I remember it was the game Adams got beamed.

Funny thing was, one of my mates won a pair of tickets with travel for the game, and couldn't use them so gave them to me!
93 - Corky's final.
I seem to remember Grizzly getting beamed too - was it Mike Watkinson who did it or Wasim? (maybe he taught Waqar how to, er, 'slip'?) or even Daffy? I seem to recall we were booing him all the time anyway.

Slats4ever

Stop it eddie and Gan-Jan. Slaters thread will not be tarnished by your insolence which should go elsewhere.

luckyeddie said:
Not at all - only the overly-aggressive and humourless members such as yourself.

You obviously have difficulty with reading and comprehension so I shall repeat my previous statement..

"Treat people with respect, and even I will do the same to you - that's a promise. Come out with more chalp like you did to Andre earlier and you won't find many prepared to give you the time of day."
My reading and comprehension skills are just fine, thanks. I've been reading since I was 3, so I'm not worried about that.
I was referring to other comments you'd made recently; my memory goes back further than your last post.
You obviously have trouble with reading and comprehension, so I'll do better than repeat my last post and spell it out for you: A promise from you is worth sh*t.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Slats4ever said:
Stop it eddie and Gan-Jan. Slaters thread will not be tarnished by your insolence which should go elsewhere.
No thread should be tarnished in such a manner.

Final word

Slater was a good player, a real battler, a mixture of cultured strokes and bristling, sometimes agricultural aggression. He will remain in many eyes an under-achiever, but that's mainly because of the number of 'near-misses'.

Perhaps the nineties did get to him a bit more than most.

As an arthritis sufferer myself, I know how low the disease can make you feel at times (and glucosamine really does taste awful), how when you get that first foot on the floor in the morning you can almost tell there and then if it's going to be a good day or a bad one, but it really DOES help with the meteorology.

An hour ago, I was bemoaning overcast skies (I live just down the road from Nottingham), yet no twinges from knuckles, hips or knees. Nowq, the sun's out.

So there you go, Slats. Weather forecasting. Better that than the commentary studio with Bill's pigeons shiatting everywhere (or have I been listening to too much billy Birmingham again?).

Deja moo

International Captain
Gaijin-san said:
My reading and comprehension skills are just fine, thanks. I've been reading since I was 3, so I'm not worried about that.
I was referring to other comments you'd made recently; my memory goes back further than your last post.
You obviously have trouble with reading and comprehension, so I'll do better than repeat my last post and spell it out for you: A promise from you is worth sh*t.

Hmmmmmmm......sh*t

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
Yes, what a very good point (ignoring the fact that his average is still overly affected by his start in ODIs) but the relevance to the retirement of Slater?

Oh I get it, because Slater will now no doubt work for Channel 4 and therefore commentate on Vaughan!
In case you may or may not realise, we do not get Channel 4 commentry instead we get Sky Sports, so the logic behind the C4 comment?

Craig

World Traveller
Gaijin-san said:
Could say that.

By the time I got to you munters (LE, Andre) I'd already:
Overdosed on sugar and keeled over
Yelled at 2 teachers
Got a detention (not my first for the week)

Now while I fit the perfect description of what everyone on here likes to call an immature little boy, I agree; but there's a difference (and let me spell it out for you):
I have a brain and I can make a decent argument, so you can't drive me away like you've done to certain people.
Dude keep it cool.

Take on breath, take up meditation, and you should cool down.

Kenny

U19 Debutant
I remember a test in 2001 when England had made a decent score (for them) and had the Aussies in just before stumps. Slater proceeded to take 12 runs off the first over from satellite dish-ears by employing wild slashes out side the off stump to the short of a length stuff he was getting.
Pressure? What pressure.
A great entertainer, a flawed genius, and an opener that England and many other countries would have loved to have had.
Well played Michael.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
In case you may or may not realise, we do not get Channel 4 commentry instead we get Sky Sports, so the logic behind the C4 comment?
About the only link I could find.

That's bizarre that Sky have the rights to the overseas, but not in England!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
About the only link I could find.

I believe that certain games qualify as 'crown jewels' - but I may be wrong.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well, Slats was always one of my favourite players and never more so than when I got to bowl to the guy in the nets. When the Aussies come to town, the local U/19's traditionally get a go at them before Tests and I was no exception. Every ball I bowled was treated pretty nicely I thought (he was SOOOO taking it easy on me) but there was heaps of encouragement. "That's it, Corey! Keep bowling there and you'll take McDermott's spot next year!" or "Nah, not quite. Get them up/further across or you'll get carted." usually followed by "Ah, that's the one! Hey Pidg! Check this guy out! I'd be worried about my spot if I were you!".

He was obviously just encouraging of course but that was in stark contrast to Mark Waugh; "That's just crap." "Not bad but I'd still have smacked it if I could be bothered." "Nup, total crap." were the responses after most deliveries (though in fairness I *was* bowling like crap).

But yeah, Slats was a heck of a guy. Bumped into him again in a music shop a few years later when we were both looking at guitars and had a quick jam. That was fun.

On the field, I always watched as much as I could. He was one of the few cricketers who seemed to put a huge emotional investment in his innings'. So many times when he belted a ball to the cover-point fence I thought to myself, "Yup, he REALLY enjoyed that one" and he tried hard to contain it sometimes but he never really could.And whenever he got a hundred, that was spectacular in itself! Watching him communicate with Stephanie in the crowd was always interesting; they actually devised hand-signals so he could let her know what was going on in his head!

As far as his ODI career goes, of course that was a real disappointment but I noticed that when the selectors picked him at 5, he got a few 50's so I reckon that might have been a good idea but they never persevered with it.

I get the feeling that Slats was never accepted fully into the team because his nature would rub conservative types up the wrong way on occasions. Pure team men like Hayden and Langer would definitely have been preferred I'm sure. Sad, but that's team sports for you.

Anyway, I'm sadder than most to see him go. Let's hope we see someone similar come along soon because the current Aussie team has mostly pretty bland personalities.

Slats4ever

great post Top Cat. I agree with you on the point why Slats was never accepted into the team.

The same can be said for McGill, he's way smarter than nyone else in the team (he has a law degree) and that threatens the other guys.

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
How is that?

Cable TV in Australia love cricket and saturate us with plenty of cricket whoever is playing.

Dasa

Craig said:
How is that?

Cable TV in Australia love cricket and saturate us with plenty of cricket whoever is playing.
Not enough IMO. I really wanted to see the NZ vs Eng series live, rather than just highlights.

Andre

International Regular
I agree. Foxtel promised a full English summer of cricket live and then backed out. I'll be lodging my complaint soon.

Marc - the commentators are generally Bob Willis, David Gower, Ian Bothan, Paul Allott, David Lloyd, Michael Holding with Ian Smith and Brian Waddle as guests.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Andre said:
I agree. Foxtel promised a full English summer of cricket live and then backed out. I'll be lodging my complaint soon.

Marc - the commentators are generally Bob Willis, David Gower, Ian Bothan, Paul Allott, David Lloyd, Michael Holding with Ian Smith and Brian Waddle as guests.
Yup - that's the Sky Sprouts guys.

At least you don't get Dermot Pratt-Reeve-Pratt.