• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Slater Retires

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
JASON said:
Some cricket administrators from other States did wonder if it was a NSW bias in selection that helped him get in so early.
While this is true, it isn't that simple. He & Hayden were fighting for one spot on the '03 Ashes tour and he had the better of Hayden in the warm up games. Although if you look closely (like I haven't) you will find he was given preference on the selection table during the warm up games.

Probably because I can't be here all day because I've got school in the day and then have to come home and do schoolwork so I can actually make something of my life and occupy my time with something productive.

Unlike some people.

Andre

International Regular
Gaijin-san said:
Probably because I can't be here all day because I've got school in the day and then have to come home and do schoolwork so I can actually make something of my life and occupy my time with something productive.

Unlike some people.
With an attitude like yours mate, you'll never make it anywhere. Thanks for ruining Michael Slater's thread for everyone.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Andre said:
With an attitude like yours mate, you'll never make it anywhere. Thanks for ruining Michael Slater's thread for everyone.
Not really his fault, Andre - I did wind him up somewhat (I have that effect on him continually and play on it when I'm bored) - immature of me really so I prostrate myself in abject shame and crave Ged's humble forgiveness.

Edit: Mind you, that's before I read what the sad, tedious, humourless piece of filth wrote in response to you.

Last edited:

Andre

International Regular
Gaijin-san said:
And with an iron bar up your date like yours mate, you'll make a great cap'n bringdown.
You seem to know a bit about it all. If it wasn't a family forum, I'd ask you to explain just how its done.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Gaijin-san said:

Unlike some people.
Bad day???

Well done Slats... Fun to watch, wish there were more like him around.... Unfortunatly for some Aussie cricket is a ruthless place....

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'll always have that one day thrashing Northants around the park (he must have played another decent knock for Derbyshire but that's the one which springs to mind - because it took my old hero Dev apart, I suppose)

Langeveldt

Soutie
luckyeddie said:
I'll always have that one day thrashing Northants around the park (he must have played another decent knock for Derbyshire but that's the one which springs to mind - because it took my old hero Dev apart, I suppose)
That Lords final that Derby got to.. I think it was 98 against Essex although i stand corrected... That was something!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
That Lords final that Derby got to.. I think it was 98 against Essex although i stand corrected... That was something!
er, no, that wasn't something at all. That was losing the toss, going along merrily for an hour to 70-0, then interruptions galore, losing 7 wickets for 20 or so runs, 'sorry lads, it's too dark for Lancs to have a go now but your innings is in tatters so that's good enough for us, come back tomorrow when it's perfect'.

Bastards.

Langeveldt

Soutie
luckyeddie said:
er, no, that wasn't something at all. That was losing the toss, going along merrily for an hour to 70-0, then interruptions galore, losing 7 wickets for 20 or so runs, 'sorry lads, it's too dark for Lancs to have a go now but your innings is in tatters so that's good enough for us, come back tomorrow when it's perfect'.

Bastards.
Awwww....

Grape?

Langeveldt said:
Bad day???
Could say that.

By the time I got to you munters (LE, Andre) I'd already:
Overdosed on sugar and keeled over
Yelled at 2 teachers
Got a detention (not my first for the week)

Now while I fit the perfect description of what everyone on here likes to call an immature little boy, I agree; but there's a difference (and let me spell it out for you):
I have a brain and I can make a decent argument, so you can't drive me away like you've done to certain people.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Gaijin-san said:
Could say that.

Yelled at 2 teachers

Now while I fit the perfect description of what everyone on here likes to call an immature little boy, I agree; but there's a difference (and let me spell it out for you):
I have a brain and I can make a decent argument, so you can't drive me away like you've done to certain people.

Treat people with respect, and even I will do the same to you - that's a promise. Come out with more chalp like you did to Andre earlier and you won't find many prepared to give you the time of day.

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
I always enjoyed watching Slater bat. His footwork when in his prime was faultless. He just tried too hard in the ODI. It was similar to Symonds early in his career. If he just played his natural game then he would have made it.

A sad way to go but I'm not sure that he would have played again this season anyway. His form of the last 2 years was ordinary.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Langeveldt said:
Was it 95 or so against Lancashire?

I remember it was the game Adams got beamed.

Funny thing was, one of my mates won a pair of tickets with travel for the game, and couldn't use them so gave them to me!

Andre

International Regular
Gaijin-san said:
Could say that.

Yelled at 2 teachers

Mate, if you've got a brain, don't be afraid to use it - discussion with you can be quite stimulating when you come here with the right attitude, so lets make a play to keep things peacefull hey :)