• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NRK to broadcast NatWest Series Final

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Without the SKY coverage, the money would fall, thus weakening the game.

You can't have your cake and eat it I'm afraid!

Langeveldt

Soutie
marc71178 said:
Without the SKY coverage, the money would fall, thus weakening the game.

You can't have your cake and eat it I'm afraid!
Just a shame that none of our esteemed terrestial broadcasters are willing to throw so much money at our national sport.. (Yet have no hesistation in covering Darts , Horse Racing etc.)

twctopcat

International Regular
Langeveldt said:
Just a shame that none of our esteemed terrestial broadcasters are willing to throw so much money at our national sport.. (Yet have no hesistation in covering Darts , Horse Racing etc.)
Take it you have no idea of bidding for a sporting event, or something called a budget.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:

And second rate darts at that, you wont catch 'The Power' on terrestial

Langeveldt

Soutie
twctopcat said:
Take it you have no idea of bidding for a sporting event, or something called a budget.
Who sets the price? the ECB?
IMO its in the best interests of the game that it is on free to air TV...
Don't they want cricket to flourish in poorer inner city areas? Im sure these guys will be champing at the bit to pay £30 a month to listen to Bob Willis...

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
Who sets the price? the ECB?
IMO its in the best interests of the game that it is on free to air TV...
Don't they want cricket to flourish in poorer inner city areas? Im sure these guys will be champing at the bit to pay £30 a month to listen to Bob Willis...
Channel 4 still has a public service remit so they have to spend a certain amount on Drama's etc. BBC would never get away with paying a reasonable amount these days and ITV is full o soaps. Channel 5 dont have the resources and they also get about the smae viewing figures as SKY.
I think 7 million households have sky these days with 3.5 million subscribing to sports. I dont know what the average number of people per house is but your talking 10 mill with access i woulda thought

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
and you dont catch many people complaining about Sky having the football, because people have seen how it has revolutionised the game, and most people were in support of Sky when the EU competition commision decided to stick its large nose in.

Craig

World Traveller
Just wondering Sam, is Manure popular in Norway since Ole Gunnar Solskjaer (sp) plays for them?

I know their popularity took off in Trinidad when Dwight Yorke joined, and I have seen quite a few Manure shirts worn in South Africa, I guess that is because of Quinton Fortune.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Reasonably popular. Correct spelling, except that ae is usually is spelt æ :)

Thing is, NRK covered what was the English Division 1 (and Premiership) from 1969 to about 1994, so loads of people related to teams on the screen. As a result, Wolves, Luton, even Torquay (for reasons unknown) have Norwegian supporter clubs...and the Manure supporters are regarded with roughly the same scorn in Norway as in England. Heck, the most popular comic in Norway is about a chronic Liverpool-supporter of a bus driver :)

Langeveldt

Soutie
Craig said:
Just wondering Sam, is Manure popular in Norway since Ole Gunnar Solskjaer (sp) plays for them?

I know their popularity took off in Trinidad when Dwight Yorke joined, and I have seen quite a few Manure shirts worn in South Africa, I guess that is because of Quinton Fortune.
yep, and the EPL has been made popular by the likes of Radebe and Fish as well...

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
superkingdave said:
And they have control of their own fish - we have to get permission from Brussels to get Fish
And no-one's going to have any left in twenty years' time - I assume Brussels will be blamed for that too?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
superkingdave said:
And they have control of their own fish - we have to get permission from Brussels to get Fish
Brussels?
What have they got to do with the former lead singer of Marillion?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Neil Pickup said:
And no-one's going to have any left in twenty years' time - I assume Brussels will be blamed for that too?
If they take resposbility for it! Then yeah, who else is there to blame? Kilroy??

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
If they take resposbility for it! Then yeah, who else is there to blame? Kilroy??
They read my highly uncomplimentary letter out on Sky News today - where I called him Robber Killjoy-Slick and I used the words 'xenophobic' and 'hypocrite' in the same sentence.