• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gotta love the Internet!...

Cam7

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Okay, time for my first post in these forums! I was, for a brief time, subscribed to the "Cricket Edge" forums, but they suddenly did a disappearing act (for some strange reason). Finance problems, or just all-round bad management? Who knows?

Anyway... I've been sitting here in NZ, listening to the radio commentary of the current Test vs England (as ya do), but my radio batteries suddenly died. Didn't have my AC adaptor with me, unfortunately, so I thought I'd try and pick up some audio on the Net... Didn't take me long to find a link, and I gotta say, it's superb! The irony is, I'm getting FAR better reception online than I was on the radio. :) Bloody marvellous! How times have changed.

But who needs the commentary, anyway? The way things are going at the moment, I could just make it up meself! It would go something like this: 4-4-1-2-4-1-4-2-4-1-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-4-6.... (etc, etc). Siiiiigh.

OMG! England have a lead now! How could that possibly happen after scoring 409 in the 1st Innings? :O I'd been looking forward to this series, but I'm suddenly not feeling very well. :(

Oli Norwell

Hehe bet you loved it when Jones smashed Vettori for 6 to bring up his 50!. Hate to say it but I think your heading to an innings defeat.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Cam7, welcome to CricketWeb, glad to have you aboard.

What are you listening to - good old 'Test Match Special' with Aggers and Blowers and loads of other, er, 'ers'?

Believe me, as a Kiwi fan, you can count your blessings that you are not watching the game - I would imagine it would be similar for you as we Poms feel every time we venture to the 'wrong' side of the planet.

Cam7

Wow... replies come in thick and fast in this joint! :D

Cheers, luckyeddie, nice to be here!

Listening to the likes of Brian Waddle, Jerry Coney, and Jonathan Agnew (sp?). I'm pretty sure I've heard Blowers on there, too? They're the regulars that I'm used to. Not even sure about what other commentaries are available, but I'm more than happy to listen to this mob. They crack me up! :laugh:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Cam7 said:
Wow... replies come in thick and fast in this joint! :D

Cheers, luckyeddie, nice to be here!

Listening to the likes of Brian Waddle, Jerry Coney, and Jonathan Agnew (sp?). I'm pretty sure I've heard Blowers on there, too? They're the regulars that I'm used to. Not even sure about what other commentaries are available, but I'm more than happy to listen to this mob. They crack me up! :laugh:
That they do - some of us can almost have a decent argument in real time.

I used to love tuning in to the old radio Test Match Special commentaries, but I go back to the days of John Arlott, Brian Johnston and the like - had the radio on whilst watching the games on the TV - but that's a pointless exercise using the internet because there's an upload time delay.

Cam7

I have fond memories of listening to the over-night radio commentaries when NZ were in England in the 80's (not sure the exact year?), when I was a teenager (I'm 35 now). I vividly remember sleeping with the radio by my side, waking up every 20 minutes, or so, whenever the commentators got a little excited! Pretty much what I'm doing now, except I now have the luxury of being able to watch it on TV as well... if I wanted to (which, at the moment, isn't something I'd enjoy!... NZ are getting caned!).

Last edited:

Langeveldt

Soutie
Welcome to the forums! IMO Jonathon Agnew is by a long way the greatest commentator/pundit of recent times...

Anyway you should enjoy it here!

*EDIT* U2 are my second favourite band! Good to see your a fan...They rule, which songs are your fave?

Last edited:

PY

International Coach
I think Blowers may have been dumped (or 'rested') for this Test match because I have been listening to pretty much all of it and he hasn't been on when I've been listening.

Think Simon Mann may well be his substitute as it were because he wasn't commentating at Lord's. As much as I used to enjoy listening to Blowers, he's pretty much lost the plot in last 2-3 years. Babbling on (which I can put up with) and getting fielder's names completely wrong.

However, Jeremy Coney ( who I think has been brilliant this series :thumbsup: ) and Brian Waddle when on together and with others have been quite superb. Especially when Coney said he'd never been out for a golden and this guy proceeded to look through his entire archive and emailed in about 5 examples and Coney got shredded. :D

Welcome to CW if you didn't see my other post in the testing forum. :)

Langeveldt

Soutie
PY said:
As much as I used to enjoy listening to Blowers, he's pretty much lost the plot in last 2-3 years. Babbling on (which I can put up with) and getting fielder's names completely wrong.
Yeah he goes on and on... People must wonder what the hell we guys in the UK are like when they listen to Blofeld spouting crap....

Tom Halsey

International Coach
PY said:
As much as I used to enjoy listening to Blowers, he's pretty much lost the plot in last 2-3 years. Babbling on (which I can put up with) and getting fielder's names completely wrong.
And calling Giles a wheeliebin gets annoying after a while... :@

Cam7

Langeveldt said:
Jonathon Agnew is by a long way the greatest commentator/pundit of recent times...
I think Aggers is brilliant... But I'd actually rate Ian Smith as the best around at the moment. :) He picks up on some of the finer points that a lot of the other commentators would miss. I used to enjoy watching him as a player (being a wicketkeeper myself), and now I thoroughly enjoy his commentaries. He's certainly highly regarded by his colleagues - even those at Channel 9 in Oz.

U2 are my second favourite band!
Only your second favourite? Who could possibly be any better than U2??? :-O ;)

They rule, which songs are your fave?
Well, there are about 58 songs that I'd include in my "Top 10", so.... What I'm saying is, it's too hard to pick an absolute favourite. Off the top of my head, though, I'd say my faves are (in no particular order):

Until the End of the World
Bullet the Blue Sky
One
So Cruel
Bad
Where the Streets Have No Name

Etc., etc....

Without a doubt, though, my favourite U2 album is Achtung Baby. :)

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Cam7 said:
The Beatles.

U2 are the second-best in my book. 'One' is one of the greatest songs ever and definitely U2's finest. 'Sunday Bloody Sunday' is up there too.

PY

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
'One' is one of the greatest songs ever and definitely U2's finest.
I have an REM live version of 'One' plus also a Lighthouse Family version of that song and both are excellent but not even close to the U2 version.

Immense.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Coney is by far my favourite commentator - boy do I miss him when listening to the Sky team babble on. Sky are really lacking in NZ commentators, too - I think the only one they have in the team in Martin Crowe. I always enjoyed having a nice mix of both nation's commentators, but oh well.

U2's best song is Where The Streets Have No Name followed by With or Without You and Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For. Bad isn't too bad, either. :D

Craig

World Traveller
I must admit I enjoy listening to Jeremy Coney, this is a guy who know's what he is talking about.

Cam7

Craig said:
I must admit I enjoy listening to Jeremy Coney, this is a guy who know's what he is talking about.
Yeah, he's one of the best. I especially like it when he's commentating with Brian Waddle. Those two together are the perfect cricket commentating duo, IMHO. Ironically, some of their best moments are when there's actually no play (because of rain or bad light, etc). They've had me in fits of laughter at times! :D

Langeveldt

Soutie
Cam7 said:
Im afraid Feeder IMO outdo them by a long way... Although thats more an indication of how much I rate them, than U2 being anything other than outstanding

My favourite U2 songs, in order

1. The Ground beneath her feet
2. New York
3. Walk On
4. Wild Honey
5. In a little While
6. I will follow
7. Where the streets have no name

blackcapsrule

State 12th Man
Oli Norwell said:
Hehe bet you loved it when Jones smashed Vettori for 6 to bring up his 50!. Hate to say it but I think your heading to an innings defeat.
We wouldn't have been able to lose by an innings because we batted first.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Rubbish!

NZ 409 all out
England 526 all out
NZ 110 all out (hypothetically)

-> NZ lose by an innings and 7 runs