• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your countries first 3 xis of your era

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
1st XI
Wright
Turner
Williamson
M Crowe (c)
Taylor
Watling (wk)
C Cairns
Vettori
R Hadlee
Wagner
Bond
QUOTE]

This would probably be the bulk of my ATG NZ XI with Stewie Dempster for John Wright the only change (although Cowie v Bond is a toss up). I'd still have Wagner for variety and balance reasons as an old ball bowler although Bond and Cowie were both better.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Redders over Deano is an interesting one. Gillespie also unlucky.
Deano is probably the worst flat track and dead rubber bully I've ever seen in my time watching Australian cricket. Would pick Shaun Marsh or Graeme Wood over him. Massively over rated cricketer.

Would have had Lawson over Dizzy tbh. Bloke was a proper gun in his pomp, and genuinely quick with it. Both unlucky.

The drop off in quality from that second to third XI is pretty stark.
Not so sure. Taylor & Slats = Langer imo, Hayden is marginally better, but less than at first blush when you factor in the difference in attacks/ conditions between the 90s and 00s.
Boonie = Chappelli
Clarke, SWaugh > Redders/ MWaugh, buthte latter are no mugs
Walters at least = Hussey. Was very line ball as to which I chose tbh'
Marsh = Healy, or if Healy is in front it's not by much
Cummins and Harris certainly better than Johnson & McDermott, but Haze and Reid is very close, and I suspect a fait few will have Magilla > Lyon, which isn't out of the question either tbh.

I don't know that there's all that much of a drop off tbh, but certainly a difference.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Here's my attempt at South Africa, which is technically from 1979 but in reality 1991. It could be argued that the first XI should be an all-pace attack, but I decided to include a spinner in each side for the sake of balance (and a consequence of that means that I avoid having to choose between Philander and Rabada).

1st XI
Gary Kirsten
Graeme Smith (c)
Hashim Amla
Jacques Kallis
Darryll Cullinan
AB de Villiers (wk)
Ashwell Prince
Shaun Pollock
Keshav Maharaj
Dale Steyn
Allan Donald

2nd XI
Herschelle Gibbs
Kepler Wessels (c)
Neil McKenzie
Faf du Plessis
Jonty Rhodes
Quinton de Kock (wk)
Brian McMillan
Vernon Philander
Kagiso Rabada
Makhaya Ntini
Paul Adams

3rd XI
Aiden Markram
Dean Elgar
Peter Kirsten
Jacques Rudolph
Hansie Cronje (c)
Mark Boucher (wk)
Lance Klusener
Craig Matthews
Fanie de Viiliers
Paul Harris
Morne Morkel

Slifer

International Captain
Why did he play so few tests, out of interest? Looks like he did pretty well, including against Australia.
Your guess is as good as mine. I'm guessing maybe typical island politics/infighting

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Tbf few countries would be able to field >45 average batsmen and <25 average bowlers in a third XI at all. It's really bloody hard to hit numbers like that in international cricket.

Yeah but my point was to point out how insanely strong the Aussie second XI was.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Deano is probably the worst flat track and dead rubber bully I've ever seen in my time watching Australian cricket. Would pick Shaun Marsh or Graeme Wood over him. Massively over rated cricketer.

Would have had Lawson over Dizzy tbh. Bloke was a proper gun in his pomp, and genuinely quick with it. Both unlucky.

Not so sure. Taylor & Slats = Langer imo, Hayden is marginally better, but less than at first blush when you factor in the difference in attacks/ conditions between the 90s and 00s.
Boonie = Chappelli
Clarke, SWaugh > Redders/ MWaugh, buthte latter are no mugs
Walters at least = Hussey. Was very line ball as to which I chose tbh'
Marsh = Healy, or if Healy is in front it's not by much
Cummins and Harris certainly better than Johnson & McDermott, but Haze and Reid is very close, and I suspect a fait few will have Magilla > Lyon, which isn't out of the question either tbh.

I don't know that there's all that much of a drop off tbh, but certainly a difference.

As I told *****, it was more to point out how strong the second XI you had was. But Redpath, MacGill and Johson drag the quality well down for me, especially compared to that second XI. And I might rate Chappell Sr. above Boon. And Taylor + whoever is surely not as good as Hayden-Langer for me. I was surprised they were not in ur first XI. But I never watched Lawry and Simpson, so cannot comment. :)

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
As I told *****, it was more to point out how strong the second XI you had was. But Redpath, MacGill and Johson drag the quality well down for me, especially compared to that second XI. And I might rate Chappell Sr. above Boon. And Taylor + whoever is surely not as good as Hayden-Langer for me. I was surprised they were not in ur first XI. But I never watched Lawry and Simpson, so cannot comment. :)
Call me ***** one more time...

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Keeping the theme of at least having 5 genuine bowlers. Post 1990.

India First XI:-

01. Virender Sehwag.
02. Ravi Shastri. (5)
03. Rahul Dravid.
04. Sachin Tendulkar.
05. Virat Kohli.
06. VVS Laxman.
07. MS Dhoni. (c) (+)
08. Kapil Dev. (1)
09. Anil Kumble. (4)
10. Zaheer Khan. (3)
11. Javagal Srinath. (2)

India Second XI:-

01. Navjot Singh Sidhu.
02. Gautam Gambhir.
03. Chesteswar Pujara.
04. Mohammad Azharuddin.
05. Sourav Ganguly. (c)
06. Wriddhiman Saha. (+)
07. Ravichandran Ashwin. (4)
08. Irfan Pathan. (2)
09. Harbhajan Singh. (5)
10. Ishant Sharma. (1)
11. Jasprit Bumrah. (3)

India Third XI:-

01. Murali Vijay.
02. Shikhar Dhawan
03. Dilip Vengsarkar.
04. Ajinkya Rahane.
05. Rohit Sharma. (c)
06. Rishabh Pant. (+)
07. Manoj Prabhakar. (3)
08. Ravindra Jadeja. (5)
09. Bhuvneshwar Kumar. (1)
10. Mohammed Shami. (2)
11. Pragyan Ojha. (4)
No love for Dinesh Kartik or Parthiv Patel?

TNT

Banned
Hayden
Simpson
Ponting
G Chappell
S Waugh
Gilly
Walters
Cummins
Warne
Lillee
McGrath

Lawry
Langer
Smith
Border
Clarke
Healy
Johnson
Harris
Lyon
Alderman
Reid

Warner
Boon
jones
I Chappell
M Hussey
Marsh
Gillespie
B Lee
McDermott
McGill
Hazelwood

Taylor
Slater
M Waugh
Martyn
Watson
Haddin
Starc
Walker
S Clark
Mallett
Hughes

Last edited:

Michaelf7777777

International Debutant
New Zealand - 1990

1st XI

John Wright
Tom Latham
Kane Williamson (*)
Martin Crowe
Ross Taylor
Chris Cairns
Richard Hadlee
Daniel Vettori
Ian Smith (+)
Neil Wagner
Shane Bond

2nd XI

Mark Richardson
Bryan Young
Andrew Jones
Stephen Fleming (*)
Brendon McCullum
BJ Watling (+)
Jacob Oram
John Bracewell
Tim Southee
Trent Boult
Chris Martin

3rd XI

Tom Blundell
Matt Horne
Jesse Ryder
Henry Nicholls
Nathan Astle
Craig McMillan
Colin de Grandhomme
Adam Parore (+)
Dion Nash (*)
Simon Doull
Danny Morrison

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Pick your countries first 3 xis from the year you was born until today. 5 bowling options req and the player only has to have played international cricket in your lifetime even if his best years were prior to that.
1989 -
Cook
Gooch
Gower
Root
Kp
Stewart +
Stokes
Freddie
Botham
Swann
Anderson

Atherton
Strauss
Trott
Vaughan
Bell
Thorpe
Prior
Archer
Gough
Broad
Panesar

Trescothick
Butcher
Hussein
Smith
Hick
Buttler
Ali
Bresnan
Hoggard
Jones
Harmison

No doubt I've forgotten some obvious ones.
From 1973:

Boycott
Gooch
Gower
Root
Pietersen
Greig*
Botham
Knott+
Swann
Anderson
Willis

Trescothick
Cook*
Trott
Cowdrey
Thorpe
Flintoff
Prior+
Broad
Gough
Snow
Underwood

Amiss
Stewart
Hussain*
Smith
Bell
Stokes
Russell+
Titmus
Cork
Caddick
Fraser

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Let me do Kenya

First XI

1. Kennedy Otieno +
2. Irfan Karim
3. Steve Tikolo*
4. Collins Obuya
5. Maurice Odumbe 6
6. Tanmay Mishra
7. Thomas Odoyo 2
8. Aasif Karim 5
9. Martin Suji 1
10. Peter Ongondo 3
11. Rajab Ali 4

2nd XI

1. Ravindu Shah
2. Seren Waters
3. Duncan Allan
4. David Obuya +
5. Rakep Patel
6. Ragheb Aga 4
7. James Kamande (c) 6
8. Josphat Ababu 3
9. Joseph Angara 2
10. Hiren Varaiya 5
11. Alfred Luseno 1

3rd XI

1. Morris Ouma*
2. Dipak Chundasama
3. Alex Obanda
4. Tariq Iqbal +
5. Hitesh Modi
6. Tony Suji
7. Nelson Odhiambo 3
8. Shem Ngoche 4
9. Nehemiah Odhiambo 2
10. James Ngoche 5
11. Elijah Otieno 1

a massive zebra

International Captain
Ravindu Shah was Kenya's leading opener during their peak years and averaged almost 30 in his 22 ODIs against the 'Big 4'. As their leading run scorer in the tournament, he played a key role in securing a shock semi-final spot for Kenya in the 2003 World cup. Surely he deserves a place ahead of Irfan Karim, who has played only 9 ODIs for Kenya and all against lesser sides?

I also think Hitesh Modi should be in at least the second team if not the first.

Jimmy Kamande captain of the second team? Wasn't he pretty crap? Against top 8 sides he took 6 wickets @ 80 and had a batting average of 13.

Last edited:

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Ravindu Shah was Kenya's leading opener during their peak years and averaged almost 30 in his 22 ODIs against the 'Big 4'. As their leading run scorer in the tournament, he played a key role in securing a shock semi-final spot for Kenya in the 2003 World cup. Surely he deserves a place ahead of Irfan Karim, who has played only 9 ODIs for Kenya and all against lesser sides?

I also think Hitesh Modi should be in at least the second team if not the first.

Jimmy Kamande captain of the second team? Wasn't he pretty crap? Against top 8 sides he took 6 wickets @ 80 and had a batting average of 13.
I think Irfan Karim gets screwed by being born in a crap generation, as for Kamande, he did captain Kenya to theit last ever world cup and only ever ODI series win against Afghanistan.

BooKhaki

Banned
1sts

Hayden
Warner
Ponting
M Waugh
Smith
S Waugh
Gilchrist
Johnson
Cummins
Warne
McGrath

2nds

Taylor
Slater
Boon
Martyn
Clarke
Hussey
Haddin
Harris
Starc
Hazlewood
Lyon

3rds
Katich
Rogers
Khawaja
Lehmann
Watson
Symonds
Healy
Lee
Bichel
Gillespie
MacGill

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
How many excellent openers have Australia had over the last 30 or so years? Hayden, Langer, Warner, Taylor, Slater, Katich, Rogers and Jaques were all top notch. When you throw in his bowling, so was Watson.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Boycott
Cook
Gower
Root
Pietersen
Botham
Knott
Swann
Broad
Anderson