• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket returning to normal

TNT

Banned
Some countries will contain and eliminate the coronavirus quicker than others. Some countries may decide not to tour countries until they have the coronavirus under control. Can you see this affecting tours for a couple of years, possibly longer.

Flem274*

123/5
definitely. at the very least we'll see a lot of empty stadium sport.

impossible to say at this stage who will continue. everyones in the middle of their containment measures atm.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No way that India is anywhere near to having this under control and it likely has a long way to run there

TNT

Banned
No way that India is anywhere near to having this under control and it likely has a long way to run there
The test cricket championship has been completely destroyed, some countries may not be able to tour for up to five years. India is my biggest concern, IPL relies on international participation which is going to be difficult to restore. Unfortunately India has the most to lose here.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is India really that bad? hadn't heard about it much tbh. Though I guess it makes sense that they would struggle with it given their population and public health issues.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
A lot of people might be surprised to hear that India's health services are some of the most advanced in the entire world. Especially in the urban centres. However, I have doubts it could remain effective if large swathes of the population become infected.

stephen

Honestly it all depends on how well this thing can be contained and how soon a viable immunization can be developed. I'm personally hoping that we'll get some international cricket before the year is out but I'm not sure I can see it happening that soon.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah you might not be able to see from Australia how it is in India, but the government is taking strong and hard measures to keep it under control and India have very good and fast medical facilities, at least better than how it is here in Japan. You just need to look at the numbers in below link vis-a-vis the size and population of the country.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

stephen

A lot of people might be surprised to hear that India's health services are some of the most advanced in the entire world. Especially in the urban centres. However, I have doubts it could remain effective if large swathes of the population become infected.
I don't think any country has a health system that could handle large swathes of the population getting infected simultaneously.

This thing has a hospitalization rate somewhere around 10%. Doctors in Spain and Italy have to make daily calls on who's life they should try and save. It's terrible.

cnerd123

likes this
I am optimistic that several domestic cricket seasons around the world will get underway come August/September

I think right now it is 50/50 if the World T20 at the end of this year goes ahead

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I am optimistic that several domestic cricket seasons around the world will get underway come August/September

I think right now it is 50/50 if the World T20 at the end of this year goes ahead
I'd say 90 not, 10 yes. The worst is definitely yet to come for Australia.

As far as my country is concerned, I don't think we'll be playing international cricket in the next 12 months or so - or until a vaccine is developed. Our borders are going to be clasped shut, so that rules out a hell of a lot of cricket from November, and there'll be incredible amounts of trepidation (and rightly so) about touring anywhere. I see us playing strictly domestic cricket in 2020/21, which is obviously not going to be great from a financial perspective...makes a lot of us die-hard locals excited in some ways though.

stephen

I'd say 90 not, 10 yes. The worst is definitely yet to come for Australia.

As far as my country is concerned, I don't think we'll be playing international cricket in the next 12 months or so - or until a vaccine is developed. Our borders are going to be clasped shut, so that rules out a hell of a lot of cricket from November, and there'll be incredible amounts of trepidation (and rightly so) about touring anywhere. I see us playing strictly domestic cricket in 2020/21, which is obviously not going to be great from a financial perspective...makes a lot of us die-hard locals excited in some ways though.
Yes, Australia is not anywhere near done with this thing yet. But 9 months is a long time for a virus.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
The thing is, 9 months isn't a long time in terms of developing a vaccine. In fact it's a very short period of time. We've seen other countries like Hong Kong contain the virus and bring their number of cases down, only to strip back their response and find the virus re-enter and create a second wave. We're all guessing but I'm guessing there's very strong measures that happen now, but also later on to ensure the problems don't continue to arise.

If they're going to move the Olympics back a year, I'd say much less important sports scheduling on an international scale will head the same way.

Gnske

Yes, Australia is not anywhere near done with this thing yet. But 9 months is a long time for a virus.
Well according to a journal that did a round around the traps at work, the peak is yet to come for us in July.

Who knows anymore really.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Until a vaccine becomes accessible globally, I think there's going to be great reluctance from sides to tour globally even if the perception is that it has been contained because of the fear it could spread again.

TNT

Banned
Could become mandatory for teams to isolate for two weeks when entering countries which will add four weeks to a tour. Time saver if they have training facilities in that time.

This could see the end of short sharp series for a while.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The idea of anything returning to normal any time remotely soon is absolutely fanciful.

Even if games were played behind closed doors or whatever, or the situation was nominally under control, if I were a player who was "high-risk" due to being imuno-compromised or whatever, there is no ****ing way in hell I'd be showing up to participate, especially if this involved travelling long distance via airports and other similar hellish places.

Tom Flint

International Regular
In london we are meant to be about 2 weeks away from the peak and the peak is meant to last roughly a month. Some restrictions will start to life then and within a few weeks of that we will be returning to normal Inc playing cricket/football ect