• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Classic Draft

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
1 Graham Gooch
2 Tamim Iqbal
3 Greg Chappell
4 Martin Crowe
5 Aravinda De Silva
6 Frank Worrell
7 Les Ames
8 Kapil Dev
9 Ray Lindwall
10 Waqar Younis
11 Hugh Tayfield

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
1 Graham Gooch
2 Tamim Iqbal
3 Greg Chappell
4 Martin Crowe
5 Aravinda De Silva
6 Frank Worrell
7 Les Ames
8 Kapil Dev
9 Ray Lindwall
10 Waqar Younis
11 Hugh Tayfield
Chappell usually batted at 4 and Worrell was more of a #3. Gun lower order.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
HB has to pick from SL so I'll take Peter May to finish off my XI.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
RED HILL CC

Herb Sutcliffe
Graeme Smith
Viv Richards (5)
Peter May
Allan Border * (5)
Angelo Mathews (5)
Imran Khan (2)
Chris Cairns (3)
Tatenda Taibu +
Curtly Ambrose (1)
Clarrie Grimmett (4)

ataraxia

International Coach
1. L Hutton* /
2. B Sutcliffe /
3. RG Pollock /
4. DPMD Jayawardene /
5. Mohammad Yousuf /
6. AC Gilchrist / +
7. GW Flower / o
8. PM Pollock o /
9. A Kumble o
10. WW Hall o
11. J Garner o

Aside from Flower, Gilly, and Hutton, this is a pretty uniform side.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pothas ->
fredfertang ->
Michaelf7777777 ->
Saint Kopite ->
stephen -> AndrewB (final 3)

fredfertang

Fred's Fertangs

Barry Richards
Victor Trumper
Murray Goodwin
Virat Kohli
Stan McCabe
Kusal Perera
Farokh Engineer
Harold Larwood
Abdul Qadir
Trent Boult
Sydney Barnes

Michaelf7777777

International Debutant
BJ Watling will be my final selection please

Charter 77 Final XI

WG Grace
Bruce Mitchell
Dudley Nourse
Javed Miandad
Andy Flower
Thilan Samaraweera
BJ Watling (+)
Richie Benaud (*)
Neil Wagner
Dennis Lillee
Brian Statham

Pothas

Vernon Philander

Geoffrey Boycott
Tillakaratne Dilshan
Brian Lara
Steve Smith
Inzamam-ul-Haq
Ben Stokes
Mushfiqur Rahim
Richard Hadlee
Vernon Philander
Bill O'Reilly
Allan Donald

Saint Kopite

First Class Debutant

The only Bangladeshi batsman with 40+ batting average and is their leading century-getter in their history with 9 100s!

MOMINUL HAQUE

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Honest Hunks

Saeed Anwar
Bob Simpson © (7)
Marvan Atapattu (vc)
Ross Taylor
Gary Sobers (4)
Brendon Taylor (wk)
Aubrey Faulkner (6)
Alan Davidson (2)
Michael Holding (1)
Jim Laker (5)
Neil Adcock (3)

Pretty happy with that side. Good openers and a good captain. A solid if unspectacular #3. An aggressive game changer type batsman at 4. GOAT allrounder at 5, very very good wicket keeper batsman at 6 and another great allrounder at 7. A bowling allrounder at 8. Guys who can bat upto 10. 3 of the greatest fast bowlers in the world, two of the greatest allrounders in the world and one of the greatest spinners in the world is a pretty gun attack with Bob Simpson's mediums to back them up. Al in all, very happy with the side I have drafted.

Last edited:

stephen

I'm going to take Bill Ponsford, marginally over Bill Larry, Bill Woodfull and Arthur Morris.

Ponsford has a first class average of 65 and set a number of records before Bradman broke them all. Fine batsman who will partner Greenidge well.

Saint Kopite

First Class Debutant
The XI:-

01. Jack Hobbs.
02. Hanif Mohammad.
03. Rahul Dravid.
04. Wally Hammond. © (5)
05. Steve Waugh. (6)
06. AB De Villiers. (+)
07. Mominul Haque.
08. Shane Bond. (2)
09. Muttiah Muralitharan. (4)
10. Glenn McGrath. (1)
11. Courtney Walsh. (3)

Saint Kopite

First Class Debutant
The XI:-

01. Jack Hobbs.
02. Hanif Mohammad.
03. Rahul Dravid.
04. Wally Hammond. © (5)
05. Steve Waugh. (6)
06. AB De Villiers. (+)
07. Mominul Haque.
08. Shane Bond. (2)
09. Muttiah Muralitharan. (4)
10. Glenn McGrath. (1)
11. Courtney Walsh. (3)
Love the bowling attack because they will all complement each other extremely well. McGrath the lead bowler with Bond as his new ball partner. Well, McGrath is McGrath and in Bond, I have the perfect strike bowler with sheer pace alongside him. And to complement them, a work-horse like Walsh who with his angles and bounce will offer another dimension to the accuracy and pace provided by McGrath and Bond respectively. Walsh can bowl all day long. So, Bond won't be overworked and can bowl in short spells. And to complete the primary bowling attack, a GOAT level spinner in Murali. Hammond and Tugga can both offer some decent amount of overs as well and both are more than good enough as the 5th and 6th bowling options.

Hobbs and Hammond are arguably Top-10 batsmen of all time. Steve Waugh probably Top-20 while Dravid and AB are somewhere in the Top-25 range. Hanif was a brilliant opener and Mominul is a solid batsman. The openers are really great and that middle order is "chef's kiss". There are shotmakers and extremely gritty batsmen in that middle order who can adjust and play depending upon the circumstances. The tail is a short and would have liked someone who could bat a bit, but considering the batting ability of especially the Top-6, I am fine with compensating that for something extra in the bowling attack. All in all, very happy with the team.

stephen

Stephen's champions:

Gordon Greenidge (7558 runs @ 44.7)
Bill Ponsford (2122 runs @ 48.2)
Kane Williamson (6476 runs @ 51.0)
Younis Khan (10099 runs @ 52.0)
Neil Harvey (6149 runs @ 49.4)
Kumar Sangakkara+ (12400 runs @ 57.4, 182 catches, 20 stumpings)
Tony Grieg (c) (3599 runs @ 40.4, 141 wickets @ 32.2)
Shaun Pollock (3781 runs @ 32.3, 421 wickets @ 23.1)
Heath Streak (1990 runs @ 22.4, 216 wickets @ 28.1)
Hedley Verity (669 runs @ 20.9, 144 wickets @ 24.4)
Andy Roberts (762 runs @ 14.9, 202 wickets @ 25.6)

I am really happy with the balance of this side. There are no obvious weaknesses. The side bats down to 11 and has 5 legitimate wicket taking options.

The bowling attack compliments each other really nicely. Roberts bringing the fire while Pollock brings the control. Streak as the third seamer was already used to a heavy workload so being in a stronger side would probably help him. Verity is a very strong spinner who would be very capably backed up by Tony Grieg, who I've marked as captain.

The entire top 7 average 40+, with 5 of them averaging over 48. Pollock at 8 averages over 30 and Roberts is the only bowler to average less than 20 with the bat (he averaged 15).

The only thing this side is lacking is a superstar big name like a Sobers, but I think this side is greater than the sum of its parts.