Cricket Betting Site Betway
Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By fredfertang
  • 3 Post By Dendarii
  • 1 Post By jimmy101
  • 2 Post By fredfertang

Thread: Who wins the pre-1970 T20 World Cup?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend fredfertang's Avatar

Who wins the pre-1970 T20 World Cup?

I'd suggest the 1950 West Indians

Allan Rae and Jeff Stollmeyer not exactly dashers, but Everton Weekes, Clyde Walcott and Frank Worrell were all top class and scored quickly

Bowling wise Alf Valentine was a big spinner of the ball, and Sonny Ramadhin turned it both ways - Gerry Gomez and John Goddard were niggardly medium pacers and both could put bat to ball. Quick bowler Hines Johnson also has a decent economy rate in the few Tests he played in.

Robert Christiani played in the four Tests, but in T20 I suspect he'd have given way to Roy Marshall, who I can just remember, and was a superb attacking opening bat when such were a real rarity.

Any offers for sides that would have beaten them?
    _Ed_ and zorax like this.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Howe_zat's Avatar
    What about the Australia side that upset England in 1958-9?

Two legspinners, allrounders form five down, strokeplayers at three and four and a bloke who chucked
    Join the CW Commentary Discord - https://discord.gg/2cYpfrf

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    What about the Australia side that upset England in 1958-9?

Two legspinners, allrounders form five down, strokeplayers at three and four and a bloke who chucked
    There were four chukkas in that team, allegedly - we only had two

International Vice-Captain
    Hard to go past the 1948 Australians imo.

International Coach SillyCowCorner1's Avatar
    White balls or red cherries?
    Symmetry is beauty, beauty is truth. Breaking symmetry means breaking truth.

"Mi nah soft like a tissue, so tell me what is the issue?" -Koffee

Quote Originally Posted by Fuller Pilch View Post
    Hard to go past the 1948 Australians imo.
    They picked the wrong team for T20 - no Bill Alley, Cec Pepper, George Tribe, Vic Jackson, Bruce Dooland or Jack Walsh

International Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    I'd suggest the 1950 West Indians

Allan Rae and Jeff Stollmeyer not exactly dashers, but Everton Weekes, Clyde Walcott and Frank Worrell were all top class and scored quickly

Bowling wise Alf Valentine was a big spinner of the ball, and Sonny Ramadhin turned it both ways - Gerry Gomez and John Goddard were niggardly medium pacers and both could put bat to ball. Quick bowler Hines Johnson also has a decent economy rate in the few Tests he played in.

Robert Christiani played in the four Tests, but in T20 I suspect he'd have given way to Roy Marshall, who I can just remember, and was a superb attacking opening bat when such were a real rarity.

Any offers for sides that would have beaten them?
    I'd be tempted to go for a WI side from later in the 50s, so they'd still have most of the above, plus Sobers and Collie Smith.

The England squad for the Triangular tournament of 1912 included some quick scorers in Jessop, Woolley and Hobbs, and with Barnes and Foster bowling can't have been that easy to score against.

Well Bradman did score that hundred in three (8 ball) overs. That suggests he'd have made Gayle look slow.

A little bit of patriotism here, but I think the South African team of the late 60s would do pretty well. They had the Pollock brothers; allrounders galore - Mike Procter, Trevor Goddard, Eddie Barlow, Tiger Lance; an exceptional fielder in Colin Bland; and Denis Lindsay, a keeper who had a 35+ average in both first class and tests.

Barry Richards only played his first test in January 1970, and therefore technically wouldn't make a pre-1970 team, but South Africa hadn't played any test matches for 3 years prior to that. So maybe his inclusion could be justified on the grounds that in all likelihood he would have played prior to 1970 if South Africa had had any tests during that time.
    honestbharani, zorax and MrPrez like this.

From what I've read Richards was unlucky not to get picked for the 1966/67 series against Australia. He went on to score the most runs in the County Championship in 1968 IIRC for Hampshire.

Had the political situation in SA not been so bad at the time, there's every chance he would have made his international debut sometime before 1970.
    zorax likes this.
    #freeshri

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy101 View Post
    From what I've read Richards was unlucky not to get picked for the 1966/67 series against Australia. He went on to score the most runs in the County Championship in 1968 IIRC for Hampshire.

Had the political situation in SA not been so bad at the time, there's every chance he would have made his international debut sometime before 1970.
    His non selection in 66/67 was essentially self-inflicted though. He played twice against the tourists before the series started and scored 107, 12*, 38 and 75 but then created a disturbance in a hotel when he was refused entry and was to all intents and purposes suspended for the Tests
    jimmy101 and zorax like this.

I had heard about the century he hit up against the Aussies in the tour match, but just assumed he was a bit young to be considered for his Test debut. Little did I know he had a big night on the sauce & it cost him a spot in the side!

Thread Information