• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who wins the pre-1970 T20 World Cup?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd suggest the 1950 West Indians

Allan Rae and Jeff Stollmeyer not exactly dashers, but Everton Weekes, Clyde Walcott and Frank Worrell were all top class and scored quickly

Bowling wise Alf Valentine was a big spinner of the ball, and Sonny Ramadhin turned it both ways - Gerry Gomez and John Goddard were niggardly medium pacers and both could put bat to ball. Quick bowler Hines Johnson also has a decent economy rate in the few Tests he played in.

Robert Christiani played in the four Tests, but in T20 I suspect he'd have given way to Roy Marshall, who I can just remember, and was a superb attacking opening bat when such were a real rarity.

Any offers for sides that would have beaten them?

Howe_zat

Audio File
What about the Australia side that upset England in 1958-9?

Two legspinners, allrounders form five down, strokeplayers at three and four and a bloke who chucked

fredfertang

What about the Australia side that upset England in 1958-9?

Two legspinners, allrounders form five down, strokeplayers at three and four and a bloke who chucked
There were four chukkas in that team, allegedly - we only had two

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
I'd suggest the 1950 West Indians

Allan Rae and Jeff Stollmeyer not exactly dashers, but Everton Weekes, Clyde Walcott and Frank Worrell were all top class and scored quickly

Bowling wise Alf Valentine was a big spinner of the ball, and Sonny Ramadhin turned it both ways - Gerry Gomez and John Goddard were niggardly medium pacers and both could put bat to ball. Quick bowler Hines Johnson also has a decent economy rate in the few Tests he played in.

Robert Christiani played in the four Tests, but in T20 I suspect he'd have given way to Roy Marshall, who I can just remember, and was a superb attacking opening bat when such were a real rarity.

Any offers for sides that would have beaten them?
I'd be tempted to go for a WI side from later in the 50s, so they'd still have most of the above, plus Sobers and Collie Smith.

The England squad for the Triangular tournament of 1912 included some quick scorers in Jessop, Woolley and Hobbs, and with Barnes and Foster bowling can't have been that easy to score against.

stephen

Well Bradman did score that hundred in three (8 ball) overs. That suggests he'd have made Gayle look slow.

Dendarii

International Debutant
A little bit of patriotism here, but I think the South African team of the late 60s would do pretty well. They had the Pollock brothers; allrounders galore - Mike Procter, Trevor Goddard, Eddie Barlow, Tiger Lance; an exceptional fielder in Colin Bland; and Denis Lindsay, a keeper who had a 35+ average in both first class and tests.

Barry Richards only played his first test in January 1970, and therefore technically wouldn't make a pre-1970 team, but South Africa hadn't played any test matches for 3 years prior to that. So maybe his inclusion could be justified on the grounds that in all likelihood he would have played prior to 1970 if South Africa had had any tests during that time.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
From what I've read Richards was unlucky not to get picked for the 1966/67 series against Australia. He went on to score the most runs in the County Championship in 1968 IIRC for Hampshire.

Had the political situation in SA not been so bad at the time, there's every chance he would have made his international debut sometime before 1970.

fredfertang

From what I've read Richards was unlucky not to get picked for the 1966/67 series against Australia. He went on to score the most runs in the County Championship in 1968 IIRC for Hampshire.

Had the political situation in SA not been so bad at the time, there's every chance he would have made his international debut sometime before 1970.
His non selection in 66/67 was essentially self-inflicted though. He played twice against the tourists before the series started and scored 107, 12*, 38 and 75 but then created a disturbance in a hotel when he was refused entry and was to all intents and purposes suspended for the Tests

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
I had heard about the century he hit up against the Aussies in the tour match, but just assumed he was a bit young to be considered for his Test debut. Little did I know he had a big night on the sauce & it cost him a spot in the side!