• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Adventures on International Cricket Captain 2019

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
These are very peculiar times and us cricket tragics don't have our number one coping mechanism right now. So I went ahead and downloaded the mobile version of International Cricket Captain 2019 (ICC 2019). I thought I would create a thread so that more of us who already have the game or who are interested can come together and discuss at least this form of (virtual simulated) cricket.

So I have started off with managing the Chennai Super Kings and the Tamilnadu team (my home city and state) within the Indian den of the game.

2019 Season:

Abhinav Mukund has surprisingly turned out to be the star player here. I absolutely sucked in the 2019 season in the IPL. CSK finished 7th thanks to 3 wins in the last 3 games - I only had 3 good players and only Ngidi and Chahar showed up. I sucked in the Indian T20 league as well with TN finishing 7th out of 9 in the group and the same in the List A league. But things turned better with the Ranji Trophy and I went upto the finals and finished runner-up with excellent performances from Mukund, Murali Vijay, Ravi Ashwin, Washington Sundar, Vijay "3D" Shankar, K Vignesh (medium pacer), Baba Aparajit and Baba Inderjith (the Baba twins). By the time the season ended with the T20 league (which is where I finished 7th and sucked again) I finally got an idea of how to go about it. and started looking for some good reinforcements for the next season.

2020 Season:

Well, as with the real TN side, its the bowling and especially the fast bowling that needed attention. So I got Basant Mohanty on a 2 year deal and also got Karun Nair for a 1 year deal. This was a season of success. For the IPL, I got Rohit Sharma in the side and a batting line up of Rohit, Watson/Faf, Raina, MSD, Rayudu, Kedar Jadhav, Jadeja, Bravo, Chahar, Ngidi and Imran Tahir were FORMIDABLE. We won the IPL after finishing 4th in the league. The List A league was tougher as the TN side was still not fully rounded but we were runner ups. We were knocked out in the semis in the Ranji as well as the T20 league. Should add we had the option of taking 1 overseas player and I got a lad from Windies whom the sim named Denesh Green who was a fast medium bowler who can bat. Was amazing for us throughout.

2021 Season:

This is where I am at currently. We had a full scale auction and I ended up with a CSK XI that read something like this: Rohit, Mukund, Raina, MSD, Pollard, Stokes, Dre Russ, Jadeja, Karn Sharma, Chahar, Ngidi. What is more amazing is that I had James Neesham, Ishan Porel (U19 star), Tahir, Harbhajan, Faf, Watson etc. sitting out. We finished 3rd in the league and won the whole thing again. Then, things started to turn messy. I did not realize the state contracts were a full overhaul too and had not bought back key players like 3D Shankar, Murali Vijay etc. and therefore, while I have a very good and young batting squad, I have zero fast bowlers, and the twin offies Ashwin and Washington Sundar have had to carry the attack, resulting in us getting knocked out in the quarters of the List A and T20 leagues and knocked out of the Ranji without even making the KO stages.

Any advice is welcome. You guys can also share your own adventures of (mis)management in ICC 2019.

Chewie

International Vice-Captain
How much into the detail do you get when you play? i.e. managing fielding positions, bowler lines and lengths, etc

Personally, I'm too lazy for all that lol

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
IT is extremely detailed but the good thing is you can go to the level of detail you need to. I tend to typically only set aggression levels for both batters and bowlers and then set the field plan mainly for the LO games. Otherwise, I try to let the AI do its thing. Its more of a test of intuition and whether you guess which player the engine will reward. And see if you can pre-empt when they will get into bad form etc.

cnerd123

likes this
I miss story threads from PC. Were legit the best part of that forum. That and the PCPL.

Looking forward to this

Athlai

Not Terrible
Please arbitrarily rename all the players after CW posters from their respective countries (and for the countries that you struggle to name people from, use prolific posters that haven’t been out in already). I’ll find this about 50x more interesting to read.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Will do if I can get the desktop version for the same price. Its too much of a pain on mobile, but will give it a go over the weekend.

Only if you promise to admit MCU > all other movies. :p

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
D Monika was juz so random and so funny. :laugh:

Anyways, for the 2022 season, the update is that I have been offered the manager role for the Indian side. And so far we have had 3 ODI and 3 T20I series away against England and Windies and won all games. Most surprising aspect so far has been that Kohli had a 3-fer and went at less than 6 RPO inspite of bowling at least 2 overs every game in the T20Is.

Also, the AI has severely neutered the England batting power. It had them bat with just 3 wickets down through an entire 50 over innings under excellent batting conditions and score 240. :laugh:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
This game is indeed odd. IT has nerfed both Steve Smith and Virat Kohli. I managed India against Australia in a test series and both averaged less than 40. It does seem to remember that Steve Smith gets out more to SLA and leg spin for some reason. Just finished a 4-0 sweep of the tests and 3-0 in T20Is. Playing against BD in BD now and the Bangbros have drawn the test series against us with an amazing 66 run last wicket partnership to win the second test after a thrashing in the first. Now playing the revenge ODI series, as is the norm after India lose/draw an away test series. :p

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Now onto 2023.. and the WC. Lost to RSA. Kept the streak against Pak. Won against everyone else basically. 3 more games to go I think in the league. This game is weird though. RSA are unbeatable so far here.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I will try my best but its hard to post stuff off mobile.. now that I m stuck at home, kinda wanna type only off the lappi. :)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
That is the batting card from the last league game of the 2023 WC against Sri Lanka. We have had to drop Kohli as the game seems to have nerfed the best players a lot. Abhinav Mukund is not just a great batsman in this game across formats but also a very useful part time leggie. And Shivam Dube gets wickets for fun in this game. Believe it or not, Hardik hardly cross 100 SR in this game till this last match when he finally went berserk. Will post the SL batting card in a bit.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mohanty is always a beast in ICC because afaik they don't adjust for the different leagues in the Ranji. I wonder if they did that in this edition because there have been some ridiculous numbers in the Plate league since 2018/19 or so when they expanded to letting every state have a team.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
It is a regen player I think. He is only in his early twenties and seems to have cropped out of nowhere. Have not heard his name in the real Indian FC scene, so can only assume its one of the regens.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Akila took some tonking. Surprised that Sundar is batting ahead of Hardik. Who is this Mohanty dude?
That was coz I was too lazy to change the batting order. I swapped Sundar for Kohli who was in horrific form so he juz replaced him at his slot. Gotta say, love the 8 man bowling attack I got going there. 2 good offies, 1 left arm wristie, 1 SLA and 1 leggie, 1 fast bowler, 1 fast medium bowler and 1 medium fast bowler. If I had a left arm seamer, that would be like a complete attack in terms of variety.