• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

One Day World Cup Winners Draft Voting Thread

Which two teams do you think are the strongest ODI sides?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Please vote for your top two teams.

When voting, bear in mind that you are to take the WHOLE careers of the players into account, not just their performance in world cup finals (unless that is how you rate players).

Ankitj:

1 Mark Waugh
2 Gautam Gambhir
3 Dean Jones
4 Ijaz Ahmed
5 MS Dhoni +
6 Yuvraj Singh [5]
7 Glenn Maxwell [6]
8 Andy Bichel [4]
9 Chaminda Vaas [2]
10 Zaheer Khan [3]
11 Andy Roberts [1]

MrPrez:

1. Romesh Kaluwitharana +
2. Matthew Hayden
3. David Warner
4. Damien Martyn
5. Arajuna Ranatunga (c)
6. Salim Malik
7. Imran Khan (3)
8. Adil Rashid (5)
9. Paul Reiffel (4)
10. Nathan Bracken (2)
11. Michael Holding (1)

Honest Hunks (HonestBharani):

1 Sanath Jayasuriya (6)
2 Virender Sehwag (8)
3 Aravinda De Silva (7)
4 Javed Miandad
5 Eoin Morgan ©
6 Collis King (4)
7 Moin Khan (wk)
8 Wasim Akram (vc) (1)
9 Liam Plunkett (3)
10 Aaqib Javed (2)
11 Muttiah Muralitharan (5)

Red Hill CC (Red Hill):

1 Adam Gilchrist +
2 Shane Watson (5)
3 Jimmy Amarnath
4 Steve Smith
5 Rohan Kanhai
6 Clive Lloyd *
7 Tom Moody (5)
8 Kapil Dev (2)
9 Damian Fleming (3)
10 Mushtaq Ahmed (4)
11 Bruce Reid (1)

A Massive Zebra:

1 Gordon Greenidge
2 Desmond Haynes
3 Viv Richards(c, 5)
4 Aaron Finch
5 Suresh Raina
6 Michael Bevan
7 Deryck Murray (wk)
8 Brett Lee (2)
9 Mitchell Starc (1)
10 Josh Hazlewood (4)
11 Colin Croft (3)

The Winner Sanctum (BoyBrumby):

1) Jonny Bairstow (RHB)
2) David Boon (RHB)
3) Ricky Ponting (RHB)
4) Michael Clarke (RHB/SLA)
5) Steve Waugh* (RHB/RMF)
6) Jos Buttler+ (RHB)
7) James Faulkner (RHB/LMF)
8) Mitchell Johnson (LHB/LF)
9) Shane Warne (RHB/LB)
10) Van Holder (RHB/RFM)
11) Jofra Archer (RHB/RF)

Teuton:

1 Sachin Tendulkar
2 Jason Roy
3 Inzamam-ul-Haq
4 Allan Border c
5 Ben Stokes 4
6 Mike Hussey
7 Simon O'Donnell 3
8 Syed Kirmani wk
9 Harbhajan Singh 5
10 Joel Garner 1
11 Shaun Tait 2

Stephen's Champions (Stephen):

1 Geoff Marsh
2 Rameez Raja
3 Virat Kohli * (7)
4 Joe Root
5 Andrew Symonds (5)
6 Darren Lehmann (6)
7 Brad Haddin +
8 Brad Hogg (4)
9 Chris Woakes (3)
10 Craig McDermott (2)
11 Glenn McGrath (1)

Last edited:

stephen

Here's where I'll sell my XI a bit.

Geoff Marsh is often overlooked as an opener, but he averaged 40 and struck at a reasonable rate for his time. Certainly he was behind Greenidge and Haynes, but not by a huge amount. A solid opener who will lay a decent foundation. Raja will partner him at the top. Obviously not an A lister, but Raja scored thousands of runs for Pakistan over the years.

A 3-6 of Virat Kohli, Joe Root, Andrew Symonds and Darren Lehmann provide the perfect mix of consistency and power through the middle overs and into the latter stages of a side's batting innings.

Brad Haddin was by far the best batsman/keeper of those available who weren't named Gilchrist, Dhoni or Buttler. An average in the 30s with a solid strike rate meant that he was a very solid backup to the top 6.

The four mainline bowlers would form a nasty bowling attack. McGrath is one of the top two ODI bowlers of all time. Craig McDermott, while forgotten about a bit took over 200 wickets at under 25 in ODIs. Being sandwiched between Lillee and McGrath means that folks often forget just how good he was. Woakes is a very solid third seamer option, averaging under 30 in the modern era (which very few bowlers do). He's also a decent lower order hitter. Hogg was the only spinner to win two world cup victories. With a killer wrong un he was every bit a frontline wicket taking bowler. An average of 26 for a spinner doesn't lie. Gun fielder and decent batsman too.

Overall I'm very happy with my XI, even if a minor miscalculation left me with Rameez Raja as my last pick. History shows that openers aren't really that important for world cup finals anyway - only two have made it past 50 (Boon and Gilchrist, who hit two fifties and a hundred).

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Haha.. we now gotta dig up our own posts on our teams then from the other thread. :laugh:

I honestly think mine is EASILY one of the top two in this draft. Aggressive openers who can thump both seamers and spinners in this format and can double up as spin bowling back ups. 3-5 of absolute class who can stop any collapse and pile on any good start. 6-9 of big hitters who can finish any innings off with a flurry. Two ATGs with the ball, backed up by probably the best 3rd seamer in ODIs you can get. And not too shabby Aaquib to share the new ball with the big W himself. Collis King to provide the medium pace back up, and Aravinda, Sehwag and Sanath to provide the spin back-up with Sanath being the main 5th bowler in most games, giving a nice variety to Murali's offies. Good in the field too, this XI. I really do not see how this suffers in comparison to any of the other line ups here.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Since I don't like to vote for myself, I voted for Teuton and Mr. Prez. Red Hill's was the other contender for me. But feel Teuton and Mr Prez had the more balanced sides.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It's a tough call, some very decent looking XIs have been selected.

Obviously I'm not going to vote for myself because no-one wants to be that guy, so from the remaining 7 teams I think I have to give one vote to Stephen's Champions. He got a nice depth to his batting, with Woakes at 9 (although personally I'd probably have him above George Bradley Hogg, but it's a marginal call) and a very impressive engine room of Kohli, Root, Symonds & Boof. Good seam options too, with Symonds not the worst 4th seamer and an obvious ATG in McGrath.

I like AMZ's seam attack an awful lot and his batting is right up there, but I'm slightly loath to vote for a team that has a first choice spinning option of Viv Richards (think Aaron Finch might've bowled in 2015 too though, but my point stands) and who'd have to get through 10 overs a game.

HB has a lot of bowling options, but, after Wasim and Murali, maybe not the quality some other XIs have and there's a slight weakness after 5 in his batting, with Collis, Moin and Wasim looking a wee bit boom or bust as lower middle orders go.

By contrast Red Hill's 4-8 engine room looks quality and, clearly, Gilly opening is a huge tick in any team. His seam attack isn't quite of the quality of AMZ's, but Reid Flemmo, Kapil, Moody and Twatto aren't the worst and I do like a proper spinner in my teams.

Teuton's 1-6 look devoid of glaring weaknesses and Joel Garner is arguably the ODI seamer ever (give or take McGrath), but having to rely on the potentially expensive Tait and Stokes to bowl 20 overs every game could get ugly.

Red Hill, just I think, but it's a ball-tearer.

stephen

Yeah I probably would bat Woakes ahead of Hogg most of the time. But Hogg was good enough to bat 8 so the order of those two probably doesn't matter a great deal.

stephen

Honestly these are some high quality teams with little to separate them. Amy of them would be a shot at winning a champions cup.

Teuton

International Captain
This would have to be one of the hardest votes i can remember doing due to the closeness of every single team.

stephen

This would have to be one of the hardest votes i can remember doing due to the closeness of every single team.
It was a very tight draft. So many times I would shortlist 5 players, with 4 drafters ahead of me and 4 of those 5 were gone by the time my vote came.

stephen

Yeah please vote if you have not done so already. When this poll is done I'll put up the losers poll.

stephen

Congratulations BoyBrumby and myself. A tight and excellent draft all round. Well done everyone.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Congrats Stephen and BB.. well deserved. Too bad we could not get more people vote and have a more neutral perspective. Think we only ended up voting within the drafters. :)

stephen

Congrats Stephen and BB.. well deserved. Too bad we could not get more people vote and have a more neutral perspective. Think we only ended up voting within the drafters. :)
Yeah probably due to the timing. March isn't exactly peak cricket season and with our unwanted guest causing cancelled series' the forum has been relatively quiet over the last week.

stephen

I'll do the losers draft vote as soon as I can. I've been super busy stocking up on toilet paper lately.