• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All Time Area XI's

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
I have split the 8 best countries up into 3 groups and I will form teams for each area

Area 1 (New Zealand and Australia)

M Taylor
M Hayden
D Bradman
G Chappell
A Border
S Waugh*
A Gilchrist+
R Hadlee
S Warne
D Lillie
G McGrath

Area 2 (India,Pakistan and Sri Lanka)

S Gavaskar
Javed Miandad
S Tendulkar
Inzamam-ul-Haq
R Dravid
K Dev
M Khan+
I Khan*
W Akram
W Younis
M Muralitharan

Area 3 (England,South Africa and West Indies)

L Hutton
D Haynes+
V Richards*
B Lara
G Pollock
G Sobers
W Grace
C Ambrose
A Donald
S Barnes
C Walsh

In a competition I think that Area 1 and Area 3 would go to the final where are 3 would triumph by around 50 runs

Last edited:

Waughney

International Debutant
Boon??? Taylor???
I would have Hayden and Neil Harvey instead.
Otherwise it is too hard to predict which team would win but I'll just say zone 1 because I'm Australian :p

Langeveldt

Soutie
My Area 3 - England, Africa, WI

1. J Hobbs
2. RG Pollock
3. V Richards
4. B Richards
5. JH Kallis
6. G Sobers
7. A Flower +
8. S Pollock
9. S Barnes
10. M Holding
11. A Donald

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lara is statistically the most accomplished West Indian player and indeed among the most accomplished of all-time. His exclusion is not my gripe, however.

Not sure how anyone can pick Courtney Walsh over Malcolm Marshall, Andy Roberts and Michael Holding. Indeed, not sure how anyone can pick Holding over Marshall.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
roseboy64 said:
I think it's because he has the world record for most wickets by a fast bowler.
And Marshall is pretty much widely accepted as the greatest fast bowler of all time...Walsh is not even in that frame of reference.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
jamee999 said:
Area 2 (India,Pakistan and Sri Lanka)

S Gavaskar
Javed Miandad
S Tendulkar
Inzamam-ul-Haq
R Dravid
K Dev
M Khan+
I Khan*
W Akram
W Younis
M Muralitharan

Area 3 (England,South Africa and West Indies)

L Hutton
D Haynes+
V Richards
C Lloyd*
G Pollock
G Sobers
W Grace
C Ambrose
A Donald
S Barnes
C Walsh

In a competition I think that Area 1 and Area 3 would go to the final where are 3 would triumph by around 50 runs
Miandad opening ?? And Sachin at 3 instead of Dravid ?? And Moin Khan getting the wicket keeper slot ahead of people like Kirmani and Wasim Bari ?

And in that area 3 team, D. Haynes gets the opening slot ahead of the likes of Jack Hobbs and Herb Sutcliffe, Barry Richards or even his more illustrious partner Gordon Greenidge ?? And why is he keeping the wicket ? Is it Desmond Haynes of the WI that you have there or someone else that no one has ever heard of ?? And less said about that bowling attack, the better... I mean how is Donald and Walsh in there ahead of the likes of Marshall and Holding ?

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Area 1 (New Zealand and Australia)

M Taylor
M Hayden
D Bradman
G Chappell
A Border
S Waugh*
A Gilchrist+
R Hadlee
S Warne
D Lillie
G McGrath
From my biased point of view, I would take richardson over taylor and crowe over chappell, and maybe fleming over steve waugh (for captaincy)

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Lara is statistically the most accomplished West Indian player and indeed among the most accomplished of all-time. His exclusion is not my gripe, however.
those 5 years between 96-00 really cost him....if it werent for that period he would surely have been considered to be as good(if not better) as viv richards and barry richards etc.

Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Not sure how anyone can pick Courtney Walsh over Malcolm Marshall, Andy Roberts and Michael Holding. Indeed, not sure how anyone can pick Holding over Marshall.
well this is langeveldt...he does think d.smith has no talent and actually has more South African players on that team than west indians...gee i wonder why :laugh:

Langeveldt

Soutie
tooextracool said:
well this is langeveldt...he does think d.smith has no talent and actually has more South African players on that team than west indians...gee i wonder why :laugh:

Yeah, gee.. If I valued your opinion at all i would come up with a better argument as to why I put them in.. But seeing as you appear to be one of the biggest idiots ever to grace this forum I'll just say that the likes of Graeme Pollock and Jacques Kallis are quite good cricketers, thats why I put them in...

Sure, if youve bothered looking recently you might find that Ive been annoyed at Dwayne Smith having a very poor cricketing brain. I cant remember mentioning talent... But I'm sure you won't let that worry you....

tooextracool

International Coach
Langeveldt said:
Yeah, gee.. If I valued your opinion at all i would come up with a better argument as to why I put them in..
cant prove your point again....

Langeveldt said:
But seeing as you appear to be one of the biggest idiots ever to grace this forum
if you think insulting people is going to help you prove your point....considering you put donald ahead of marshall,roberts,trueman etc shows how much of a cricketing brain you really have. dont let me stop you from your insolent ways though.

Langeveldt said:
I'll just say that the likes of Graeme Pollock and Jacques Kallis are quite good cricketers, thats why I put them in...
conveniently forgetting why you put in pollock ahead of botham and donald ahead of roberts,marshall and trueman. oh yeah your not a patriotic ***

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
BlackCap_Fan said:
From my biased point of view, I would take richardson over taylor and crowe over chappell, and maybe fleming over steve waugh (for captaincy)
Yes, that's definitely a biased point of view.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
tooextracool said:
considering you put donald ahead of marshall,roberts,trueman etc shows how much of a cricketing brain you really have.
Says the bloke who's opinions on SRT are more than a little bizarre.

Mr Mxyzptlk

tooextracool said:
those 5 years between 96-00 really cost him....if it werent for that period he would surely have been considered to be as good(if not better) as viv richards and barry richards etc.
There's not really much reason why Lara shouldn't be considered better than Viv Richards. He beats him in just about every category.

Mr Mxyzptlk

aussie_beater said:
And in that area 3 team, D. Haynes gets the opening slot ahead of the likes of Jack Hobbs and Herb Sutcliffe, Barry Richards or even his more illustrious partner Gordon Greenidge ?? And why is he keeping the wicket ? Is it Desmond Haynes of the WI that you have there or someone else that no one has ever heard of ?? And less said about that bowling attack, the better... I mean how is Donald and Walsh in there ahead of the likes of Marshall and Holding ?
Lol. I didn't even notice Haynes' inclusion, let alone 'keeping. That's truly ridiculous.