• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Next Great Batsmen

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Now that we're a few months into 2020, though it would be a nice discussion point to bring up some young batsmen (established or not) who are looking set to become the next greats. The 2015-2020 period obviously had Smith, Kohli and Williamson at the top, all of whom have averaged 60+ since the start of 2016.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Will be surprised if Babar Azam doesn't go on to make at least 20 Test centuries and a very good case for Pakistan's greatest batsman. Pretty obvious call at this point though. Labuschagne is another one who looks a pretty safe bet right now.

I was really excited about Markram but he's fallen away rather dramatically.

Gill and Shaw look pretty good from India's perspective but it's always hard to be sure since they've hardly played at all, and they're facing some stiff competition from established players.

Last edited:

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
I am taking a punt on Hanuma Vihari. An unconventional choice, but would see a decade from now.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I like the cut of Yashasvi Jaiswal. Has got to improve loads as far as his game and technique and stuff goes but see the same attributes in him like a young Virat. I hope with God's Grace, the kid goes well and does India proud.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
From Australia:

Will Pukovski, Jake Fraser McGurk both look good from the Vics. Maddinson has had an epic FC season and mightnow be next in line to replace Wade.

I want Kurt Patterson and Matt Renshaw to both come good as I rate them.

But let's not forget:

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
From Australia:

Will Pukovski, Jake Fraser McGurk both look good from the Vics. Maddinson has had an epic FC season and mightnow be next in line to replace Wade.

I want Kurt Patterson and Matt Renshaw to both come good as I rate them.

But let's not forget:

I'm afraid Pucovski is far too much of an injury risk due to his history of concussions. I honestly believe he should give the sport up for his own sake.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm afraid Pucovski is far too much of an injury risk due to his history of concussions. I honestly believe he should give the sport up for his own sake.
Yeah what is up with pucovski and injury? Is he just unlucky or is it a technical fault? From my recollection he's had atleast 3 concussions in the last year.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah what is up with pucovski and injury? Is he just unlucky or is it a technical fault? From my recollection he's had atleast 3 concussions in the last year.
He had a number of serious concussions as a teenager. The problem with concussion is that each subsequent concussion makes future ones more likely. He's up to number 7 or 8. Basically any time he gets badged he's likely to get concussed.

Kirkut

International Regular
Babar Azam's 71 was a truly special knock considering that Steyn took 6/8 against the same opponent in the last tour.