• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Let the toss go for a toss , says Gavaskar.

Deja moo

International Captain
At the recent meeting of domestic captains in India , Chairman of the technical committee, Sunil Gavaskar proposed abolishing the toss and simply giving visiting teams( in domestic cricket) the choice of batting or bowling first.

This was proposed to counter the trend of home teams preparing pitches to excessively suit their bowlers or batsmen.

Since the laws of cricket demand a toss before the game, there would simply be a token toss.

Scallywag

Banned
orangepitch said:
At the recent meeting of domestic captains in India , Chairman of the technical committee, Sunil Gavaskar proposed abolishing the toss and simply giving visiting teams( in domestic cricket) the choice of batting or bowling first.

This was proposed to counter the trend of home teams preparing pitches to excessively suit their bowlers or batsmen.

Since the laws of cricket demand a toss before the game, there would simply be a token toss.
Good idea.

Waughney

International Debutant
Should wait and see how it goes in a domestic competiton then the ICC can decide on wether or not it will happen in international cricket. But I don't think it will happen giving one team the desicion to bat or bowl first all the time is too much of an advantage IMO.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's a splendid idea, and one which has been talked about on occasion (in passing) for 25 years that I know of. It used to be one of Botham's hobby-horses, I seem to recall.

bennyr

U19 12th Man
It would have been a good idea a few years ago, but increasingly we are seeing pitches doctored not to the advantage of the local team but to the advantage of the television broadcaster. I don't see this trend reversing, so I'd say leave it the way it is.

tooextracool

International Coach
orangepitch said:

i dont think its worth it simply because home advantage is so important in the game today. if it were made even then where would teams like SL be? just leave the game the way it is please.....

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The toss gives equal opportunity to each team to win it and choose. I don't like the idea in international cricket. Domestic cricket... perhaps.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Shocking idea IMO.

Allows a team to select their 11 knowing what situation they're going to encounter.

That's part of the risks of team selection then out of the window.

Slow Love™

International Captain
I'm ambivalent about it, although I wouldn't be averse to giving it a try if both captains agreed on a given tour.

Had a bit of a laugh at the title of this thread though - I'm guessing that "go for a toss" doesn't mean the same thing in India that it does in Australia. :)

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Slow Love™ said:
I'm ambivalent about it, although I wouldn't be averse to giving it a try if both captains agreed on a given tour.

Had a bit of a laugh at the title of this thread though - I'm guessing that "go for a toss" doesn't mean the same thing in India that it does in Australia. :)
I know what it means here in England
:p :blink:

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Shocking idea IMO.

Allows a team to select their 11 knowing what situation they're going to encounter.

That's part of the risks of team selection then out of the window.

agreed

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
What happens in tournaments when neither team are home teams. Eg. World Cup Final 2003, India vs. Australia in South Africa.

I don't like the idea, I prefer the toss.

tooextracool

International Coach
Jono said:
What happens in tournaments when neither team are home teams. Eg. World Cup Final 2003, India vs. Australia in South Africa.

I don't like the idea, I prefer the toss.
i think they were looking at test matches specifically