• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should India play "Test Cricket" domestically in the future?

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Should the BCCI organize an annual "test" series by forming 2 sides domestically, including the players from the current test team and 11 best Ranji players, preferably (my preference) at away venues (mostly SENA)?

I know the Duleep Trophy is supposed to be some version of this, but it doesn't really pan out and it's always played domestically and isn't branded well and doesn't have a high prestige value associated with it.

With more good players coming out of the Indian domestic system in the recent years and, presumably, in the coming future, perhaps it will provide more incentives for young players and Ranji journeymen.

Maybe it's an idea which will come to fruition after a few years and it's too soon to go there right now.

googlyeyes

Banned
We should start playing ODI tri series with both India and India A and invite minnows like Australia, SL etc.

mr_mister

Since mighty India are so brimming with talent I demand a north and south India xi and both get granted full test status

West Indies isn't a country either

cnerd123

likes this
Should the BCCI organize an annual "test" series by forming 2 sides domestically, including the players from the current test team and 11 best Ranji players, preferably (my preference) at away venues (mostly SENA)?

I know the Duleep Trophy is supposed to be some version of this, but it doesn't really pan out and it's always played domestically and isn't branded well and doesn't have a high prestige value associated with it.

With more good players coming out of the Indian domestic system in the recent years and, presumably, in the coming future, perhaps it will provide more incentives for young players and Ranji journeymen.

Maybe it's an idea which will come to fruition after a few years and it's too soon to go there right now.
This sounds like a logistical nightmare

Howsie

International Captain
They should play Northern Districts, the best first class side in the world

1.BJ Watling
2.Tim Seifert
3. Kane Williamson
4. Daryl Mitchell
5. Colin de Grandhomme
6. Mitchell Santner
7. Scott Kuggelijin
8. Ish Sodhi
9. Tim Southee
10. Neil Wagner
11. Trent Boult

All played international cricket THIS year

harsh.ag

This sounds like a logistical nightmare
Nah, it would be pretty simple. It's a polished version of the Duleep Trophy, essentially, but mandatorily including the test cricketers. Just not played in India.

pranavadi

Cricket Spectator
No doubt the idea carries pious intentions for indian cricket. But it all boils down to availability and participation of Indian cricket team members. Had they volunteered they could have played in ranji, syed mushtaq trophy. The need for recuperation from tours, commitments have poured waters on inviting them to play domestic cricket. though Pujara, Umesh Yadav bucked the trend and have played Ranji this year. Interesting also could be a championship of winners of Domestic tournaments of SENA countries and to begin with state associations can convince national team members to play their part as it would also overlap with country's prestige.

cnerd123

likes this
Nah, it would be pretty simple. It's a polished version of the Duleep Trophy, essentially, but mandatorily including the test cricketers. Just not played in India.
That's the point. You're looking for a 2-3 weeks window, maybe longer, where all of India's test players are available and willing to play.

Doesn't seem feasible, and making it work doesn't seem worthwhile given the effect it would have on international and domestic scheduling.

And on top of this you're somehow looking for access to grounds and pitches overseas. This could be possible for the BCCI is willing to shell out for it, but I'd be surprised if any cricket board will offer their venues up during the regular season when they could be playing domestic/age group/high performance/international cricket on it instead.