• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Interesting article on Glenn McGrath

Rich2001

International Captain
I guess at the momment it will be a bit early to tell, he hardly played any cricket before coming back into the Australian team and it's going to take time to get back into the grove after being out for just under 2 years.

Remember this is Australia we are talking about as good as McGrath (is or was) the decision might be taken out of his hands if he doesn't start to perform as the Australians are not the best for waitting around for someone.

However saying that I think Neil's post is the best so far! :D :cool:

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Rich2001 said:
I guess at the momment it will be a bit early to tell, he hardly played any cricket before coming back into the Australian team and it's going to take time to get back into the grove after being out for just under 2 years.

Remember this is Australia we are talking about as good as McGrath (is or was) the decision might be taken out of his hands if he doesn't start to perform as the Australians are not the best for waitting around for someone.

However saying that I think Neil's post is the best so far! :D :cool:
Where as Australia have been pretty ruthless with dropping batters i dont think they will be the same with McGrath considering they dont have the depth of bowlers knocking on the door as with the batters.

bennyr

U19 12th Man
SpaceMonkey said:
Where as Australia have been pretty ruthless with dropping batters i dont think they will be the same with McGrath considering they dont have the depth of bowlers knocking on the door as with the batters.
That's entirely true, but you never can tell.[RANT] I'd hate to see McGrath dropped to give Tait a shot anytime soon, but I just don't trust the Australian selectors. I think they beleive they can afford to drop anyone over 33 after a form slump and replace them with the player who is "in their plans". After all, these are the people who beleive Michael Bevan is not amongst Australia's best 25 players.[/RANT]

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
bennyr said:
That's entirely true, but you never can tell.[RANT] I'd hate to see McGrath dropped to give Tait a shot anytime soon, but I just don't trust the Australian selectors. I think they beleive they can afford to drop anyone over 33 after a form slump and replace them with the player who is "in their plans". After all, these are the people who beleive Michael Bevan is not amongst Australia's best 25 players.[/RANT]
I cant blame the Australian selectors arrogence, considering the depth of talent you've had for so long. But im very interested to see how good the next generation of bowlers like tait will be. With Brett Lee averaging well over 30 they cant afford to have another one in the team who is express pace but not able to get wickets regularly.

Waughney

International Debutant
Brett Lee: Wickets: 139 Average: 31.66 I would hardly call an average of 31.66 well over 30

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Waughney said:
Brett Lee: Wickets: 139 Average: 31.66 I would hardly call an average of 31.66 well over 30
Hardly that impressive though. Especially if say Tait would have a similar average.

Waughney

International Debutant
OK what if we add a strike rate of 56? Full player page: http://www.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/PLAYERS/AUS/L/LEE_B_02005966/
I doubt Tait would be able to match Brett Lee just yet. And I don't know how you can say that Tait would have a similar average. He's not ready just yet for international level (disipline, experience etc.). Anyway he still not as good as Brett Lee but has the potential to be in the coming years, see his first class record so far.
http://www.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/PLAYERS/AUS/T/TAIT_SW_02017780/

bennyr

U19 12th Man
Waughney said:
Well... It's over thirty.

I'm keen to see if Lee develop into a good test bowler (at the moment he is IMO an average test bowler). Many players come into international cricket as tearaway quicks, and then get "found out" when there is nothing but pace. The good ones develop some accuracy and have a decent career. The signs are not good for Lee at the moment, but he has been working with Dennis Lillee, and if anyone knows how to drop a few yards of pace and still be an effective bowler it's D.K.Lillee.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
His average has been well over 30 in the past two years. Since the start of 2002, he's taken 67 wickets at an average of 39.40 in 20 matches with a best of 4/63.

Deja moo

International Captain
Quote:Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Pickup
And get smacked around as the Urn is restored to its rightful ownership?

Sounds good to me!

Dream on!
I wouldnt mind the dream coming true. :p

bennyr

U19 12th Man
Neil Pickup said:
And get smacked around as the Urn is restored to its rightful ownership?

Sounds good to me!
London Sporting Times said:
In affectionate remembrance of English cricket
which died at the Oval on 29th August 1882,
Deeply lamented by a large circle of sorrowing
friends and aquaintances.
R.I.P.
N.B. The body will be cremated and the Ashes taken to Australia
Alas, Neil, the Urn is already in it's rightful ownership.

twctopcat

International Regular
bennyr said:
Alas, Neil, the Urn is already in it's rightful ownership.
Has the urn finally gone down under then? Up until recently all the aussies got was a glass replica and it remained at lords. Mainly because the original urn was so brittle and for fear of breaking.
To be honest i hope Mcgrath plays next year so we can inflict damage upon him and really make him suffer as we end 17 years of waiting.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Waughney said:
Until you look at the more recent performances from Lee - it's climbing rapidly!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Dasa said:
His average has been well over 30 in the past two years. Since the start of 2002, he's taken 67 wickets at an average of 39.40 in 20 matches with a best of 4/63.
It goes further than that!

First 7 matches - 42 wickets @ 16.07
Next 30 matches - 97 wickets @ 38.42

bennyr

U19 12th Man
twctopcat said:
Has the urn finally gone down under then? Up until recently all the aussies got was a glass replica and it remained at lords. Mainly because the original urn was so brittle and for fear of breaking.
To be honest i hope Mcgrath plays next year so we can inflict damage upon him and really make him suffer as we end 17 years of waiting.
OK, so the actual Urn resides in the long room at Lords (I think).

We all know who has the Ashes at the moment. I'm sensing a lot of pent up frustration about this fact in this thread. I think your wish to inflict damage on McGrath may be a bit of wishful thinking. One dud series after a long injury layoff does not make him third rate. He'll be back (I think).

twctopcat

International Regular
bennyr said:
OK, so the actual Urn resides in the long room at Lords (I think).

We all know who has the Ashes at the moment. I'm sensing a lot of pent up frustration about this fact in this thread. I think your wish to inflict damage on McGrath may be a bit of wishful thinking. One dud series after a long injury layoff does not make him third rate. He'll be back (I think).
Frustration, me? No. I'm not angry at the aussies for having beaten us for so long, as they have been the better team throughout. I just hope we can turn the tables. I have no doubt that Mcgrath will come back, but will he be as good? I don't think so ( i hope).