• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in New Zealand 2020

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes I predict Larsen's alibi will be that in this one particular format, Conway wasn't knocking down the door. Red ball squad to come out in a few days, Conway straight in.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Yes I predict Larsen's alibi will be that in this one particular format, Conway wasn't knocking down the door. Red ball squad to come out in a few days, Conway straight in.

Those aren't terrible numbers. He's in great touch, should be a shoo in all formats. I am pretty sure he's not eligible but will check.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
First proper look at Siraj, even if it is in the wrong format. Pace doesn't seem to be his strength, little bounce too. Decent away movement and did seem to be able to get it to go the other way occasionally.

Howsie

International Captain
Well the 2010’s are definitely over I see. Such a great time for New Zealand cricket in terms of bowling depth during that period. 2020 rolls on up and we are being forced to play Jacob Duffy and Ollie Newton in the next tier down, yuck

nzfan

And Shaw now absolutely pumping our lads. Bowled like 5 shorts balls so far and all of them taken to.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Well the 2010’s are definitely over I see. Such a great time for New Zealand cricket in terms of bowling depth during that period. 2020 rolls on up and we are being forced to play Jacob Duffy and Ollie Newton in the next tier down, yuck
To be fair Bennett FINALLY earned a recall or he'd be there ahead of Newton you'd think

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes it'd be interesting to talk to an expert about whether bulking up our guys in the gym was really the way to go there, whether there's ways to keep a promising teenage paceman on the park without doing that.

Just primarily a bunch of really gunbarrel straight jocks, out there now. Big developed shoulders and arms, trying to hit heavier lengths without anywhere near the stamina or accuracy that we see Wagner doing it with.

nzfan

After 5 overs of our erratic bowling Ajaz and TAstle are already on. This is very disheartening to see particularly in home conditions.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Is he? He's pretty much edged away today. Haven't seen too much of him for some reason in the recent months so don't necessarily know. I always thought he is a good player of pace bowling.
Looked to me like he was playing late/guiding but eh could be edging

nzfan

Ajaz is taken to the cleaners by Shaw. Honestly bowling spinners in the powerplay against India is like offering a candy floss to a kid. Don't know what's going on honestly.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Looks like the seamers had a good game from India's perspective. Even Shankar has had a good spell. I still don't see the point of playing both Axar and Krunal. They cant get in Gowtham soon enough into that lower middle order.

nzfan

Shaw is India's new Sehwag sans the class of Sehwag. Not as good on the eyes as Sehwag but similar attitude and hitting ability. I reckon Shaw will have some up and down times in future but he'll do well in all formats. India can afford to have Shaw batting like this as long as other players are firing.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Getting punished with dislikes for their tech failure. I would've been running a few tests in those NZ XI games, but these guys probably don't really have their heart in it. 3:30am start in India, so it could've been worse.

If you want to stick this link in a browser that plays rather than downloads mp4s, change the over and ball number on the end and hit return, you can watch a bit more of the game that way.
https://pooch.azureedge.net/4026f91d-6d47-401d-aa8a-cd734233eb4a/1_001_01.mp4
**** this is gun. Can also use ball by ball commentary to find which deliveries to watch.

Have to add 1 to the actual over though. So if you're trying to watch Shaw's wicket use 010_01 instead of 009_01

Last edited:

Noumenon

U19 Vice-Captain
Shaw is India's new Sehwag sans the class of Sehwag. Not as good on the eyes as Sehwag but similar attitude and hitting ability. I reckon Shaw will have some up and down times in future but he'll do well in all formats. India can afford to have Shaw batting like this as long as other players are firing.
From being uncoordinated to a poor man's Sehwag. Suppose that's an upgrade?

Noumenon

U19 Vice-Captain
Many will advise Shaw to curb his aggression but I feel it'd be unwise for now. I'd like to see him push the envelope of his own game.

nzfan

From being uncoordinated to a poor man's Sehwag. Suppose that's an upgrade?
Won't say poor man's Sehwag, this lad is good but obviously he can't bat like this in all conditions and against all opponents. The problem is if he changes his game he may not score much so best to stick to his strengths. I don't know about uncoordinated. Coming second to Sehwag is not a bad thing. Sehwag was unbelievable.

Immenso

Hell no, to getting the saffas in before they are eligible.

Have some pride.

Each Saffa that turns up I secretly hope is a spud. Unfortunately, they tend to be way, way better than our spuds.

Noumenon

U19 Vice-Captain
Won't say poor man's Sehwag, this lad is good but obviously he can't bat like this in all conditions and against all opponents. The problem is if he changes his game he may not score much so best to stick to his strengths. I don't know about uncoordinated. Coming second to Sehwag is not a bad thing. Sehwag was unbelievable.
Shaw being uncoordinated is your words, not mine. Some post in a thread where you seemed to compare him to Gill. It's ok if you don't recall it, it's the price one pays when producing BS at a frenetic pace.

For the rest of your post, yes Sehwag was unbelievable. No need to diminish him or Shaw with inane comparisons.

Immenso

Following the early boundary/wickets videos - seemed a bit of a cripple fight. Some average looking bowling TBH and some really soft NZA batting dismissals.

Catching up with video after being away. The Tastle dismissal is a shocker with 10 overs and just the tail left.

Disappointing also that my sage advice here : http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/cricket-chat/17840-unofficial-new-zealand-black-caps-thread-156.html#post4330436 on selecting a sensible team balance and not trying to shoe-horn 5 spinners into the 11 is ignored.

Last edited:

nzfan

Just comparing the number of games Ravindra has played in comparison to Shaw and Gill. Two contemporaries. All three just turned 20. Ravindra played one extra U19 world cup in 2016 I think.

Ravindra - 12 first class, 9 List A and 14 T20s
Shaw - 2 tests, 20 first class, 27 list A and 38 T20s
Gill - 2 ODIs, 19 first calls, 56 List A and 37 T20s

That's like thrice the game the other two lads have played in comparison to our U19 player of two editions in comparison to 1 edition for the Indian ones.

Reason being there are more domestic teams in India as compared to NZ. Harder to get into NZ domestic sides in comparison to Indian ones?