• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in New Zealand 2020

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Anyone at the ground? It looked a bit like they decided to try for a sneaky single after a small misfield or possibly just trying to be cheeky due to some lethargic fielding and it backfired.

More chances soon. It's been a running theme against India A (with the NZ XI) to get caught on a pull or hook, seems nobody is taught to roll the wrists anymore.
Phillips was way too relaxed for the first run and he could have put in a dive or slid the bat. That would have saved him.

In a way I don't mind our up coming players like Ravindra, Allen, Phillips all being very aggressive batters. I think the only way forward for us in one day and T20s is finding good aggressive players with decent technique. I'd say Ravindra has the best technique overall followed by Allen and Phillips is unorthodox. Add Boyle, Clarkson, Bhula etc it will make for a very aggressive batting unit. We will never be shy of faster bowlers so we will be fine and we will have a good balance going forward. You'd rather not want to see timid batters shying from playing shots in white ball cricket, that will take us backwards. As long as they are not slogging I'd say it's not a bad thing. Luckily none of our up coming boys are players of just front foot shots. Glad to see we have set of players that are very good on the back foot as well.

nzfan

Now Tom Bruce is gone to a pull shot and Jimmy out as well... We are playing 3 spinners and 4 if you include Ravindra. Bit too rich for our conditions?

nzfan

Tom Bruce might not be the worst shout for a tour of India. Seems to handle spinners ok
Is he? He's pretty much edged away today. Haven't seen too much of him for some reason in the recent months so don't necessarily know. I always thought he is a good player of pace bowling.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
We are playing 3 spinners and 4 if you include Ravindra. Bit too rich for our conditions?
Yeah just lots of **** form for the Tickners, Nuttalls and Wheelers that one might've wanted to have a look at it in a different year, I suppose.

nzfan

Yeah just lots of **** form for the Tickners, Nuttalls and Wheelers that one might've wanted to have a look at it in a different year, I suppose.
Ollie Newton? Jimmy can bowl but he's not a front line bowler I'd think in one dayers. Why bother playing Astle, Ajaz and McConchie? We are not playing in India. India is playing two left arm spinners. Something about India and their obsession about left arm spinners.

Knowing how NZC thinks today Ravindra will not bowl. He's either picked purely as a batsman that bats at the top of the inning or will slot him down at no.8 and get him to bowl full quota of overs. I think they are confused about him. Is he a bowler that bats or a batsman that bowls?

What's going on with rest of our seamers? Rance, Tickner, Wheeler? Looking a bit bare. I thought we have lots of faster bowlers at disposal.

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah just a begrudging reward for form it seems for Newton, rather than there being real excitement about running someone like him out there on a 750-run pitch.

nzfan

Never mind, India is also playing 3 front line spinners as well. Definitely a used pitch I suppose.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Should've swallowed the 'hey we can produce anchor bats ourselves' pretense and given Conway a phone call I'm afraid, Pizza Boy. Probably Foxcroft too.

nzfan

Should've swallowed the 'hey we can produce anchor bats ourselves' pretense and given Conway a phone call I'm afraid, Pizza Boy. Probably Foxcroft too.
There was a discussion about Conway playing for NZ A in one of the super smash games and they said NZ cannot play him in the NZ A. Otherwise no doubt they would have played him. It'll be good for him too to get acclimatize to playing at a higher level. There is absolutely no doubt he will play for Black Caps in all formats as soon as he's eligible.

nzfan

On the spinner's note, I don't think Ajaz will ever be picked for white ball cricket unless he shows he can score few runs or improve his fielding. TAstle isn't growing younger either so makes sense for McConchie to get few games under the belt. He could be behind Santer and can bat as good as Santner if not better.

nzfan

We've put an under par score on board. About 20 to 30 runs short. Ravindra or Phillips or Tom should have kicked on.