• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in New Zealand 2020

Mike5181

International Captain
Yeah, even if Southee is past it, he's putting up a better ER than any of the other fringe fast bowlers like Bennett, Tickner, Kuggs, etc. There's a reason he's the one that's been bowling the super over, even if he is **** at it.

Unless Ferguson, Boult, and Milne are all fit and healthy there's really no reason to bitch about his spot in the format.

Flem274*

123/5
his test statistics are lies. to back this up, open any series thread since 2015 and we're all yelling at southee for being bad before snagging some last minute good marks or tail wickets.

he's worth being in the test squad, but it's time for lockie. every other setup in the world would play lockie given this player pool except us. southee doesn't do anything cdg isn't doing, and cdg can bat.

Athlai

Not Terrible
seth rances 2 minutes of game time seems a strange area to get so salty over when we've got a skipper who has been a passenger in all formats since the 2015 wc

i get it with southee. he's obviously got the respect of the team and he's always the first to go over and chat to a struggling bowler, but man he's a shadow of his former self. i guess when you debut early you fade early.

i don't know what to do about the choking with the bat except that there's no defending it and you can't pretend everything is fine. choking is cancer. the bowlers i can deal with sucking since they're noobs, but the batting has been ridiculous since we landed in australia.
****ing waaah

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Southee did a decent enough job in the match itself, and I can see why they have him there with Boult and Ferguson out. But one they return I think it's time to draw a line under his involvement ... and he should never bowl another super over again no matter what.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Who's the Indian commentating this series? VVS?? Guy is horrible, like a budget version of Athar Ali Khan.

EDIT: There's two of them apparently and they're both ****.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
****ing waaah
damn right. we need to shake the tree or the black caps will continue to be run by hackfrauds like stead and larsen for the 20s. you're not being a reasonable fan with this schtick, you're accepting daylight robbery. i'd rather not slide back to 2010.

Flem274*

123/5
must say im enjoying the stats ruination of spark and morgies soulless h4x cpl sides based on india A players.

Moss

Who's the Indian commentating this series? VVS?? Guy is horrible, like a budget version of Athar Ali Khan.

EDIT: There's two of them apparently and they're both ****.
VVS and Irfan Pathan. FWIW I actually quite like Irfan's commentary.

Moss

his test statistics are lies. to back this up, open any series thread since 2015 and we're all yelling at southee for being bad before snagging some last minute good marks or tail wickets.

he's worth being in the test squad, but it's time for lockie. every other setup in the world would play lockie given this player pool except us. southee doesn't do anything cdg isn't doing, and cdg can bat.
Eh, he's been respectable at worst in the test side, continues to be a threat at home and played his part in the wins in UAE and SL. Mostly useless in the shorter forms will give you that.

thundaboult

International Debutant

this is the truth.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
On one hand, Southee shouldn't have had to bowl a super over - the batsman right royally ****ed up what should've been in the bag

At the same time, Southee's been playing international cricket for 12 years now. He should be the experienced hand. Hell, he's the second most experienced player New Zealand has in terms of years in international cricket, and the most out of any of our bowlers. Yet he still bowls without any clue half the time. 2011/12 Southee seems like literally a different person at this point.

It's at about the 12 year mark, to choose another bowler of longevity, that Jimmy Anderson started to consistently average 22 with the ball each year. Mind you, it was 12 years in that Jimmy left the white ball game behind - perhaps Tim should as well.

Moss

Give Southee a break. He faced up to two of the best limited over players of all time in the last 2 matches.
No shame in coming out second best to the likes of Rohit and Kohli, sure; but if 125km length balls is the best you can come up with, you have to wonder about all that experience.

And this is hardly the first time either; in the world T20 in 2012 (an age ago, but still) NZ lost 2 games on super over against the Windies and Sri Lanka, and in both cases Southee was the bowler I think.

Shady Slim

International Coach
still remember the 2015 world cup when southee took the six for and tricked the rest of the world in to thinking soult was going to be an elite bowling partnership for the next five years... you’ve got to credit boult for holding up his end of the bargain tbh

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
No shame in coming out second best to the likes of Rohit and Kohli, sure; but if 125km length balls is the best you can come up with, you have to wonder about all that experience.

And this is hardly the first time either; in the world T20 in 2012 (an age ago, but still) NZ lost 2 games on super over against the Windies and Sri Lanka, and in both cases Southee was the bowler I think.
This was, what, Southee's 5th or 6th Super over? The only other person from memory who has bowled a super over for us, of course, has been Boult.

How are we going to get guys used to pressure and gain experience if we don't give them opportunities in these sorts of series that are leading up to a world cup? Southee already had a go this series, Bennett probably should've been given a crack - or perhaps Sodhi or Santner who were the best bowlers in the match for us.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Southee playing anything but tests is a joke. It's like if England played Matthew Hoggard for 140 ODI's - sensibly they saw him as a one format bowler. Only valuable in the most extreme bowler-friendly conditions but otherwise he's neutralised