• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in New Zealand 2020

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
If anything, it was amazing how well they bowled to a very good batting line up IMO. Gave nothing away and forced us to play some stupid shots in between a few magic balls, esp. Southee. And a lovely batting performance. Under rated contribution by CdG too. LIke someone mentioned in the allrounders thread, he may not be flashy and may not be the match winner every time but gotta be up there for the most consistently putting in performances as an allrounder. Adds value in both disciplines and does his bit almost always.
Agreed. He is probably the 2nd best true allrounder after Shakib in the world who is equally good in both departments. Stokes is a batting allrounder while Jadeja, Holder, Woakes and Ashwin are bowling allrounders.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPNcricinfo.com

Batting records in NZ wins. Kane is a beast.

Kane Williamson and Trent Boult must be almost the only NZ test cricketers with a notable career with more test wins than losses.

Not a bad team can be formed from New Zealand’s most successful test cricketers.

Latham
Fleming
Williamson
Taylor
Astle
McCullum
Watling
Vettori
Hadlee
Southee
Boult
Amazing stat that Tom Latham has been involved in more wins in 6 years than John Wright was in 15.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
i would look in the 1990 scorecards when kapil biffed Hemmings for 4 consecutive 6s.
Ok, I’ve hunted down the tweet again, thanks and credit to @AWSStats:

Highest Test score by a batsman who made all of his team's runs while he was at the crease:
38 TA Boult NZ v Ind Wellington 2020
36 Kapil Dev Ind v SL Colombo-SSC 1985
33 CH Gayle WI v Ind Kolkata 2013
30 IDS Smith NZ v SL Kandy 1984

CharlesLara

U19 12th Man
Well, its difficult to argue against extreme bias, especially when it is gone to this extent but pray tell me when the hell was this bolded part true? :laugh: Did you even watch cricket in India since 2015?
yeah slow day at work got the better of me tbh.

It's the lack of accountability from Kohli and the old age touring mentality that always get used. I'm obviously talking in extremes in that case to make an at times, reading back now, a maniac making a ranty point HA but mainly because of the equation that a deck doing a bit early somehow has made the toss even 60/40? I'm also saying that thats where all the seeds were laid for these types of attention on the prep of home wickets etc. everyone is guilty, I'm just saying the defending of home wickets (more extreme) has lead us to thinking about changing a rule for what? So I just don't see why people go on about the toss when theres absolutely nothing you can do about except get on with it, its a moot point. It's just something that frustrates me when its so obvious why New Zealand won, and Kohli bringing up the toss then leads to a Cricinfo article about it lol

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

It's the lack of accountability from Kohli and the old age touring mentality that always get used. I'm obviously talking in extremes in that case to make an at times, reading back now, a maniac making a ranty point HA but mainly because of the equation that a deck doing a bit early somehow has made the toss even 60/40? I'm also saying that thats where all the seeds were laid for these types of attention on the prep of home wickets etc. everyone is guilty, I'm just saying the defending of home wickets (more extreme) has lead us to thinking about changing a rule for what? So I just don't see why people go on about the toss when theres absolutely nothing you can do about except get on with it, its a moot point. It's just something that frustrates me when its so obvious why New Zealand won, and Kohli bringing up the toss then leads to a Cricinfo article about it lol
Complaining is an intrinsic part of the process of getting on with it though, five stages etc

Flem274*

123/5
enough of the kohli crying, here's a nice little article on jamieson

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/...e-strides-batsman-turned-bowler-kyle-jamieson

He also hinted at what an ideal future might hold - upping his pace, among other things. "Yeah, for sure [looking to get quicker than an average of 130kph]," he said. "I'm still a long way off where I want to be as a bowler and as a cricketer. The stuff that I started to work on with Auckland, with Heinrich [Malan, his coach at Auckland and New Zealand A], I think in the next year or so I'm going to make massive strides."
if he adds 10kph, he's not just a solid career prospect but a chance of being quite special.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

You are right. Crapinfo does bring it up only when India lose but it has nothing to with NZ being the ones who won. They put out the first article after India lost in England in 2018. :laugh:

See, home advantage is intrinsic to the sport but we have now lived in an age of immense dichotomy in results for almost all teams when playing at home and when playing away from familiar conditions. If neutralizing the toss advantage can help even the contest a bit more, I am all for it.

None of the above should suggest NZ had some undue advantage in the last test against India either through the toss or the wicket though. The toss was as much of an advantage as it is in an average game and the better team who were able to play at a higher standard for a longer duration thrashed the team couldn't. End of story.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
we won in the uae and held england and sri lanka to a tied series, and we also did our usual in australia, so im quite happy for nz to be dishing out some pain at home again.

besides this indian side has it in them to bounce back hard.

CharlesLara

U19 12th Man
You are right. Crapinfo does bring it up only when India lose but it has nothing to with NZ being the ones who won. They put out the first article after India lost in England in 2018. :laugh:

See, home advantage is intrinsic to the sport but we have now lived in an age of immense dichotomy in results for almost all teams when playing at home and when playing away from familiar conditions. If neutralizing the toss advantage can help even the contest a bit more, I am all for it.

None of the above should suggest NZ had some undue advantage in the last test against India either through the toss or the wicket though. The toss was as much of an advantage as it is in an average game and the better team who were able to play at a higher standard for a longer duration thrashed the team couldn't. End of story.
I was just stating a simple point that the attention towards the toss seemed more calculated than frank and honest, but obviously him leading with that was always gonna become huge, thus the article about him maybe being right with analysis etc.

I just think there are so many variables that factor in what makes an even contest (obviously, this is cricket, the mother of all variables), I just think looking to get rid of the toss, seems something to be applied to the for lack of a better word "howler" of a pitch.

EDIT: Scheduling and the likes has obviously seen the death of ACTUAL tours with time to adapt, acclimatise etc which does help your argument if im being honest and if the way these idiot who run cricket see it, it wont get better so looking forward maybe it might be something, but I mean look at how long DRS took to be fully integrated.

Last edited:

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
County Championship did away with tosses last season didn't they? Would be curious to see the comparison of results pre/post across the board in terms of home/away victories.

I feel like the act of visiting in itself already puts a side at a huge mental disadvantage anyway even if the pitch is advantageous to them.

#FREESHRI

jcas0167

International Debutant
Amazing stat that Tom Latham has been involved in more wins in 6 years than John Wright was in 15.
Or Sir Richard Hadlee in 16. Truly a golden era for NZ in test cricket at the moment.

enough of the kohli crying, here's a nice little article on jamieson

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/...e-strides-batsman-turned-bowler-kyle-jamieson
Wow, I didn't realise that Jamieson was primarily a batsman and only really focused on bowling at under 19 level. Oram is another who was a batsman at school and with his height became a more serious bowler later on. Also, I am mildly surprised and impressed that Malan is credited as being a bit of a bowling guru.

Heinrich the last six-eight months, he's been massive. His knowledge around bowling has certainly opened my eyes. I think those two from a bowling point of view have been massive."

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Or Sir Richard Hadlee in 16. Truly a golden era for NZ in test cricket at the moment.

Wow, I didn't realise that Jamieson was primarily a batsman and only really focused on bowling at under 19 level. Oram is another who was a batsman at school and with his height became a more serious bowler later on. Also, I am mildly surprised and impressed that Malan is credited as being a bit of a bowling guru.
That's a pretty huge vote of confidence for Malan. Auckland won the Ford Trophy, runner up in the T20s and haven't lost a game in the Plunket Shield. Remembering his name was in the ring for the current NZ coaching job before Stead got it.

The Hutt Rec

That's a pretty huge vote of confidence for Malan. Auckland won the Ford Trophy, runner up in the T20s and haven't lost a game in the Plunket Shield. Remembering his name was in the ring for the current NZ coaching job before Stead got it.
He’d have been my pick, seemed to do great things with CD. But maybe a bit longer at domestic level won’t hurt him.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
County Championship did away with tosses last season didn't they? Would be curious to see the comparison of results pre/post across the board in terms of home/away victories.

I feel like the act of visiting in itself already puts a side at a huge mental disadvantage anyway even if the pitch is advantageous to them.

#FREESHRI
Hasn't really had much of an affect by all account. Pitches are mostly goat paddocks or roads, because the home team wants to ensure that the visiting team doesn't have too much of an advantage.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Hasn't really had much of an affect by all account. Pitches are mostly goat paddocks or roads, because the home team wants to ensure that the visiting team doesn't have too much of an advantage.
There was an article on Cricinfo recently how they want to do away with it now after pitches have started to be doctored.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/...d-toss-set-scrapped-bid-better-county-pitches

https://www.wisden.com/stories/county-cricket/uncontested-toss-scrapped-for-2020-county-championship

Early results were encouraging. In 2016, 85 per cent of matches went into a fourth day, the highest such figure since 2009, with spinners bowling more overs and taking more wickets compared to 2015. Average scores and the number of draws also increased.

However, the ECB have since concluded that the rule wasn’t having the desired effect, and are hoping tougher penalties for poor pitches will help even up the balance between bat and ball instead. The points deduction handed down to Somerset for the overly spin-friendly surface prepared for their title decider against Essex is something of a statement of intent in this regard.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Not surprising when you completely remove the element of randomness. Instead better to retain randomness but just tilt it a bit more in visitor's favour imo.

#TeamVisitingCaptainGetsOneAutoTossWinPerSeries

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

#FREESHRI

Definitely what happened with Faf when RSA toured India.

veganbob

U19 Captain
I like it the way it is. To be a really great side you have to be able to win away from home,
against the odds. Makes it more special to win away

The Hutt Rec

Has winning overseas ever been easy? It’s pretty much always been a huge challenge since forever in test cricket, hasn’t it? Why do we want to change it now? Coz India lost?

nzfan

Unlike other countries we don't have a huge land mass and weather doesn't differ heavily across the country. Clay from Patumahoe is used at Basin and few other centers where cricket is the only sport played on the ground. This clay is supposed to aid consistency bounce for the duration of the game. Some of the grounds also have clay from Waikari clay which helps with some spin. I think Seddon park has both hence the ball turns a bit when used during domestic games. Otherwise we don't necessarily have much choice. The wear is always going to be minimal. To ensure the game lasts all days of test matches there needs to be some grass at the start of the match. Otherwise it will be up and down and likely also become too dangerous over the period of the test match. One day or T20s are easier, the groundsmen only have to make it last for a day so they shave off the grass. The domestic sides using the same strip after the Black Caps game is done often complain of slowness and not making for a great contest.

For all teams that tour NZ there is no choice but to prepare for a green seamer across the country. This won't change forever.