• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in New Zealand 2020

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
What team are we fronting up for NZ XI tomorrow? I hope we front up second XI of one of the province if it doesn't have first class status. Like they usually do in other parts of the world. If official then one of ND, Firebirds or Stags play India. Will be good practice for one of these teams for upcoming Plunkett shield. My guess NZC will front up a very good team and provide India a solid practice match to get them ready for the test series.

nzfan

Hang on... the NZ XI is already announced but not on black caps website. Fielding a very strong team yet again. We are doing India a massive favor with a team of this quality. Good for our lads to get the opportunity to face India but we will get India going really well prior the test series. I don't think we get similar teams when we go overseas for warm ups.

Ish getting another go means he could be in the starting line up for the first test or maybe backup for Ajaz. Good to see Henry Cooper given a go.

NZ XI: Daryl Mitchell (Northern Knights) (c); Finn Allen (Auckland Aces); Tom Bruce (Central Stags); Dane Cleaver (Central Stags); Henry Cooper (Northern Knights); Scott Kuggeleijn (Northern Knights); James Neesham (Wellington Firebirds); Rachin Ravindra (Wellington Firebirds); Tim Seifert (Northern Knights); Ish Sodhi (Northern Knights); Blair Tickner (Central Stags); Will Young (Central Stags). 13th men: Jake Gibson (Northern Knights, Friday), and Scott Johnston (Northern Knights, Saturday and Sunday).

Young again, as New Zealand XI named | Voxy.co.nz

Disappointing Finn Allen has been dropped from the Aces squad for the finals on the weekend. I know he hasn't come off yet but they have to persist with him. I think it's time for him to move, should come to Wellington. He'll go well here. We will have a spot from him at the top or middle order easily.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Still don't get why so many are clamouring for Southee's replacement by Lockie in the tests. Besides the reflexive "I wantz pace" instinct, I still don't see any grounds for Southee losing his place. I don't buy the "Southee's test record is lies" argument for a second. Yes, he underperformed in Australia - but he still bowled significantly better than Boult and (briefly) Lockie in that series. He's bowled excellently at home for several seasons now, and not just against patsy opposition. He played a big part on our only test win of the summer, and he's always been a nightmare for touring subcontinent sides to deal with.

Lockie may well get his time. But until someone out of that frontline three genuinely stops performing we shouldn't go searching for a reason to break up such an effective seam unit.

Last edited:

nzfan

Southee in tests in not a bad bowler by any means. In fact he's one of the better ones we have. Maybe overseas playing Lockie will help given his extra pace but on a first day deck if we are bowling I'd rather have accurate Southee than whirlwind but a bit up and down Lockie.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
It's just not even a contest. Pics is syrup of the gods. I think Fix and Fogg suffered from putting me onto chilli PB, which was awful.
Getting too fancy with the basics is always a terrible business, but for plain crunchy peanut butter, Fix>Pics.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Still don't get why so many are clamouring for Southee's replacement by Lockie in the tests. Besides the reflexive "I wantz pace" instinct, I still don't see any grounds for Southee losing his place. I don't buy the "Southee's test record is lies" argument for a second. Yes, he underperformed in Australia - but he still bowled significantly better than Boult and (briefly) Lockie in that series. He's bowled excellently at home for several seasons now, and not just against patsy opposition. He played a big part on our only test win of the summer, and he's always been a nightmare for touring subcontinent sides to deal with.

Lockie may well get his time. But until someone out of that frontline three genuinely stops performing we shouldn't go searching for a reason to break up such an effective seam unit.
Southee shouldn't be dropped from the Test side but I would hope he becomes a more intelligent bowler. He isn't a consistent 135+ bowler anymore and he really needs to start nailing line and length with subtle variations more often otherwise he doesn't offer much more than CdG

Flem274*

123/5
Southee is a slightly better cdg with the ball now unless he starts getting it to actually zip through agwin like in the last odi, also his best odi in years

ferguson is legit. would be in tomorrow if we were any team bar nz.

Southee is decent but his recent record is total 2011-2018 starc

veganbob

U19 Captain
Really hope Ajaz plays.
Hope lockie is in for southee.
Southee is a good test bowler but imo we need to play lockie. He could do better than southee, feel we may need the pace vs india

Immenso

India getting a few players in the A game, now getting a a 3 day match. Nerdy swats, taking g it so seriously. Just rock up and play, no prep, what can go wrong?

Meanwhile, the hosts, none have played any red ball for a month ....

Chewie

India getting a few players in the A game, now getting a a 3 day match. Nerdy swats, taking g it so seriously. Just rock up and play, no prep, what can go wrong?

Meanwhile, the hosts, none have played any red ball for a month ....
Watling's playing for Hamilton in a 3-day match

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Ferguson isn't in the running for the first test regardless - not enough time to prove fitness for test cricket. And afaik no multi-day matches to play before the second test either, given he's not in the NZ XI right now. Boult also a little light on prep but his injury less risky than a calf strain.

The spin situation is awful, especially when it looked promising a short couple of months ago. Somerville and Astle were our best-looking options for home tests and they're out, meaning we're back to bits-and-pieces (Santner), guy-who-works-a-lot-better-overseas (Ajaz), or who-know-what-he's-up-to-in-FC/tests-now (Sodhi). My usual inclination would just be to pick the pure best bowler and ignore everything else, which means Ajaz. There's a very real chance he'd toil for 0 or 1 for 100 and provide nothing with the bat though. It's annoying.

The Hutt Rec

I reckon it’s a bit early to write off Ajaz at home yet, given he’s only played two tests here and one of them was on that mother of all roads test at the Basin vs Sri Lanka.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I'd lean towards Ajaz though first test could easily be on the mother of the mother of all roads, so we'll see.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Time to join this thread!!

Happy to see that the Indian top order has learned from the last fifty years of history on how to negotiate the new ball in New Zealand.