• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why isn't Imran rated higher?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
LOL at TJB passing off purely subjective crap backed up by arguments such as 'every kid I knew copied Warne growing up" as the "brutal truth".

ICC's testing > your eyes

There's some brutal truth for you.
He says to the poster who once put a protractor on the screen to figure out the degree of the elbow flex...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Warne was clearly more influential to the average joe in making leg spin "***y." than Murali was in, well, any capacity really.

It's not a slight on Murali; it's simply testament to how, rightly or wrongly, Warne was a massive influence on the game.

No matter how you rate David Beckham as a footballer, there's no doubt he is one of the most influential footballers in recent history. Warne's similar.

Warne was more box office than Murali because Murali was a nice quiet guy and Warne had this massive personality. KP had more influence on England than Alastair Cook, does not make him a better cricketer. And the fact that two posters here to have to resort to blatant lies about the legality of Murali's bowling action says so much about their insecurities and for that very reason, I actually feel Murali has been a bigger influencer, even if that were to be a criterion.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
LOL at TJB passing off purely subjective crap backed up by arguments such as 'every kid I knew copied Warne growing up" as the "brutal truth".

They literally changed the law in the flawed hope it might help make SL competitive. So the fact they test for compliance with that rule doesn’t make the rule change itself anything other than a massive indulgence for the bloke.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
What do all those bowlers have in common? From subcontinent. Of course passion for spin bowling never went away when you play on those pitches. Burgey is clearly talking about the rest of the world, that should have been obvious.
Yeah, let's see what rest of the world did after Warne.

Non SC Wrist spinners? MacGill, Hogg, Casson, McGain, Rashid
Non SC finger spinners? Lyon, Swann, Vettori, Panesar, Maharaj

Nah . . . we see the gulf in the quality. Warne may have revived spin bowling in Australia, definitely not in sub continent. Rest of the countries it looks more like Saqlain and Murali inspired a plethora of finger spinners to do well.

Once again Rest of the world <> Australia

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Typical Migara wahhhhing and ignorance here. Most of those you mention and Lance Gibbs played either before or in conjunction with the great era of pace bowling (cricket's best era, without question), albeit Kumble and Mushtaq right at end of it. Each of them could only dream of having the impact Warne did on the game. Murali and Saqlain of course came along and started javelin throwing a bit later, when Warne had already done all the heavy lifting in ending the dominance of pace bowling. Ashwin started twenty odd years later ffs and can't even get a start .

As for the crying sentiment, I mean your fellas cried so loud they changed a law of the game for Murali. Otherwise he'd have been quite rightly banned.
Kumble reduced every touring team in to dust in India for a decade. Impact . . . That is impact for you. And Murali, Warne and Kumble debuted around the same time, '92. '92, '91 respectively. Saqlain debuted in '94. So your argument of Kumble and Mushtaq starting at the end of the great pace bowling era applies to Warne too.

And of course, when I see these rants in bold, I know for sure that one's anglophilic ego is hurt, short of arguments, and which needs no further elaboration.

EDIT: Kumble debuted in 1990, 2 years before in the "fast bowling era" than Warne.

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
'sour grapes' !!!!!!!!! ..... you accuse me of 'sour grapes' w.r.t Vivian Richards or Jacques Kallis ......I would readily accept it any time, if I have any. This is because I consider both of them as better to any cricketer than my country has ever produced. But not for this chronic ball tamperor who was accused by at least 15 cricket related people. If needed, I can name these people any time with enough links & documents & circumstantial evidences.So much for 'sour
grapes'......:@
Sorry, no thanks. I am not in the mood.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
They literally changed the law in the flawed hope it might help make SL competitive. So the fact they test for compliance with that rule doesn’t make the rule change itself anything other than a massive indulgence for the bloke.
Law was changed to accommodate McGrath and Pollock, who were using the elbow more than Murali.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
That is because of Ashes tbf . Australia too have been trying to get their own version of Botham since that 81 series.
Australia are usually a better team when we don't try to jam an all rounder in, and instead play the six best bats (usually one or two can bowl serviceably), a keeper and the four best bowlers.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Australia are usually a better team when we don't try to jam an all rounder in, and instead play the six best bats (usually one or two can bowl serviceably), a keeper and the four best bowlers.
Isn't every team better this way?

srbhkshk

International Captain
All teams are better with a good all rounder, the problem is when they jam in a no rounder.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
do you really believe this or are you just baiting the sub-continental posters?

TheJediBrah

Really, really dumb post here. ICC testing has nothing to do with anything. I reiterated several times that whether Murali's action is fair or not is completely irrelevant to the point being discussed.

Those "subjective arguments" are exactly the point under discussion. You're usually better than this vcs, you clearly didn't even read the discussion you jumped in on.

Warne was more box office than Murali because Murali was a nice quiet guy and Warne had this massive personality. KP had more influence on England than Alastair Cook, does not make him a better cricketer. And the fact that two posters here to have to resort to blatant lies about the legality of Murali's bowling action says so much about their insecurities and for that very reason, I actually feel Murali has been a bigger influencer, even if that were to be a criterion.
Ffs no one was talking about who was a better cricketer. I specifically avoided making any insinuation of the sort because I know how sensitive a lot of the posters on here are about it. Why tf are you guys are triggered so easliy on this topic that you meltdown anytime you even when it's in your imagination? **** me

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Ffs no one was talking about who was a better cricketer. I specifically avoided making any insinuation of the sort because I know how sensitive a lot of the posters on here are about it. Why tf are you guys are triggered so easliy on this topic that you meltdown anytime you even when it's in your imagination? **** me

ROFL... he wrote "triggered", perhaps looking at a mirror... :laugh:

EDIT: Just to clarify for others, I responded to someone's else post and it had nothing to do with what anyone else posted here. But sure TJB, feel free to add to your "stupid posts" count.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

ROFL... he wrote "triggered", perhaps looking at a mirror... :laugh:

EDIT: Just to clarify for others, I responded to someone's else post and it had nothing to do with what anyone else posted here. But sure TJB, feel free to add to your "stupid posts" count.
Whole world doesn't revolve around you m8. I was responding to a post that was directed solely against me. If the fact that I quoted it directly before my response wasn't clue enough, here it is again:

And damn right I'm triggered. If you guys want to have a mass breakdown every time Burgey throws some half ass bait your way then that's fine, but don't drag me into it because you can't be bothered and/or lack the reading comprehension to understand what I said.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Whole world doesn't revolve around you m8. I was responding to a post that was directed solely against me. If the fact that I quoted it directly before my response wasn't clue enough, here it is again:

Now watch something you like online, relax and read what I posted, one more time. Maybe it will come to you this time.

TheJediBrah

Now watch something you like online, relax and read what I posted, one more time. Maybe it will come to you this time.
Who are the "two posters here to have to resort to blatant lies about the legality of Murali's bowling action" because I know I definitely wasn't one of them.

Burgey

Someone remind me why are we talking about Warne and Murali in this Imran thread?
Unfortunately mate, Migara is obsessed about it and can't help but throw insults holus bolus, not only against Warne, but against Australians in general. It happens all the time:

Changing the game in an sparsely populated corner of the world is not changing the game in the world. Usual arrogance of Aussies.
Wow, Erapali Prasanna, Chandrashekar, Qadir, Kumble, Murali, Mushtaq, Saqlain and Ashwin are useless. Pace never had the stranglehold in subcontinent, and it never required Warne for that. Even Warne was erased from the timeline, still above bowlers would have rode the tide beautifully.

On second thought yes, now players are not stupid enough to dope or dope and cover them selves and cry "Ma mamma gave it" sentiments.
That sort of important facts gets lost in the face of arrogance.
I suppose it's a product of insecurity, or something. I dunno. There's a whole text book to be written there.

edit: in an effort to get the thread back on topic, one thing which seems to have happened was Imran upping his pace massively after a few years. My earliest recollection of his bowling is from WSC when he was genuinely quick, but hearing comms back then like Benaud, even they seemed to refer to him initially as a medium pacer, which seems weird given how he ended up. I think he toured here in 76-77 but I don't have much recollection of that tour, and I don't think there's much footage of it around the place that I've seen. Always struck me as an odd perception that he would have been anything other than properly quick by the time he played international cricket.

Last edited: