• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brad Hodge WILL play for Australia in the next calender year

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Son Of Coco said:
DO you even make a comment that's not solely based on the fact that you think every Queensland player should be in the team? You have some very good players up there too, but it just seems like every post is "well, let's replace such and such with X from QLD" and so on.........personally I'm not too concerned where the players come from, as long as they perform and we keep on going well (which means I can definately see the case against B.Lee! haha)'

The media don't pick teams, the selectors do. The media from each state is obviously going to write about players from there, as they'd assume that's what people in that area are going to be interested in. I live just south of the QLD border, and if you think what's written in the media up that way is any better, then you must be kidding yourself, but I never assume that this has anything to do with who gets picked in the team.

Two of the selectors are from QLD, if you've got an issue with who's being picked then maybe you should question their loyalties to their home state (which shouldn't come into it anyway).

You say that Clarke has been with the one-day team most of the last two years, but then on another thread you call for the inclusion of Symonds if Lehmann's out, hasn't Symonds been with the one-day team most of the last two years as well thus missing out on a lot of first-class cricket?

Mate the media have more to do with it than you think. I have a media degree and actually did an essay/article on how the media effect the selections of players in sport. I interviewed former players, a former selector and sports psychologists, so I think I have a pretty fair idea on how it works.

I have never said that the Queensland writers are any better or worse, but to say that the N.S.W. media doesn't have an influence on selection is just being blind-folded.

Symonds has had years of first-class cricket, the fact he hasn't played that much lately, doesn't really matter - he's not 23 & lacking experience.

Mister Wright

Waughney said:
Pretty much, yes. A batsman grows, is more determined and is mentally tougher.

He has played some cricket and shown his potential. Also, as I explained before, there are many other reasons for his selection. Anyway, what's this obsession with FC cricket. He is playing international cricket, sure the games may be different, but none the less he is up against the best in the world.

Yes he has had international exposure, but they are two different styles of games, and experience is important - site Bevan & Slater as examples.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Son Of Coco said:
The media don't pick teams, the selectors do. The media from each state is obviously going to write about players from there, as they'd assume that's what people in that area are going to be interested in. I live just south of the QLD border, and if you think what's written in the media up that way is any better, then you must be kidding yourself, but I never assume that this has anything to do with who gets picked in the team.

Two of the selectors are from QLD, if you've got an issue with who's being picked then maybe you should question their loyalties to their home state (which shouldn't come into it anyway).
Mister Wright said:
Mate the media have more to do with it than you think. I have a media degree and actually did an essay/article on how the media effect the selections of players in sport. I interviewed former players, a former selector and sports psychologists, so I think I have a pretty fair idea on how it works.

I have never said that the Queensland writers are any better or worse, but to say that the N.S.W. media doesn't have an influence on selection is just being blind-folded.
Anyone who understimates the influence the media have on selection is seriously fooling themselves.
It's true in every country, certainly is here. I'm also willing to take Kyle's word on the fact that NSW media have the majority say when it comes to selection in Australia.
Selectors make the selections - in theory. Very rarely do you not get an inobvious selection that has not been called for in the majority media.

Son Of Coco

Richard said:
Anyone who understimates the influence the media have on selection is seriously fooling themselves.
It's true in every country, certainly is here. I'm also willing to take Kyle's word on the fact that NSW media have the majority say when it comes to selection in Australia.
Selectors make the selections - in theory. Very rarely do you not get an inobvious selection that has not been called for in the majority media.
If different states are calling for different players, and they're all considered to be a chance then one of them has to be right don't they!?

If you're willing to take one person's word, who comes from a state which is opposed to NSW in many sporting facets and is notoriously one-eyed itself then knock yourself out Richard.......

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Look, SOC, I know Kyle, I've been posting on here for quite a while now, he's always been here, and he doesn't strike me as the sort who'd bother about this silly inter-state rivalry. I might be wrong, but to assume he fits a stereotype of Queenslanders when you haven't corresponded with him for the time I have is wrong.
I believe him when he tells me about the influence the NSW media have on selection, partly because I see it so often in this country, too - though less so WRT counties, because fortunately all papers are based in similar places, and regions are much smaller so there's less room for petty rivalry. Just the fact that it's very rare for selectors to pick someone who hasn't been mentioned very often in the media first. Simon Jones was a classic example 2 years ago.

Waughney

International Debutant
Mister Wright said:
Yes he has had international exposure, but they are two different styles of games, and experience is important - site Bevan & Slater as examples.
I already noted that they were two different games, my arguement was he is still facing the best in the world, not some first grade call up from Victoria.
Experience is important and he has had a bit. I'm talking of giving him international test experience, get dropped and come back better than ever, sight;
Hayden
Langer
Ponting
Martyn
Lehman
Katich,
as examples, sound familiar....

Last edited:

Mister Wright

Waughney said:
I already noted that they were two different games, my arguement was he is still facing the best in the world, not some first grade call up from Victoria.
Experience is important and he has had a bit. I'm talking of giving him international test experience, get dropped and come back better than ever, sight;
Hayden
Langer
Ponting
Martyn
Lehman
Katich,
as examples, sound familiar....
That's not a good enough reason to give someone a test - so they can get dropped than come back. How about rewarding consistency?

Waughney

International Debutant
Mister Wright said:
That's not a good enough reason to give someone a test - so they can get dropped than come back. How about rewarding consistency?
I know, but I have previously given other reasons that really do add up.
Consistency should be rewarded, but can not always be.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Which probably had something to do with the fact he had 2 largely poor series'.
Honestly, dropping the best ODI player there's ever been - there's "ruthless" selection (Mark Waugh, who had a poor year) and there's downright stupid selection.
This is the latter.