• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Marnus Labuschagne’s ceiling...

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
That Hilton Cartwright guy looks like an underrated find.
Seriously though, I did have high hopes for Cartwright at one stage before his technique went to gash, shame really. That Middlesex stint was somewhat of a horrorshow

RIP Hilts, killed by Angus Fraser

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd forgotten about the dismissal highlights videos of him from that fatal season.

Trauma. He ended up unsurprisingly for the English CC doing alright with the ball IIRC.

mr_mister

So dumb Maxwell has been blacklisted from the test team. He proved when he's actually in a red ball match he's very consistent the last 3-4 seasons as evidenced by those stats

And Cartwright has fallen off but it's ridiculous Dunk has a spot in the Stars team over him

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Who knows where Maxwell could be right now if he'd been given a fair crack at the Test team. Most likely have nailed down no. 5 or 6 you would have thought.

mr_mister

Yeah. People see him bat like an idiot in ODIs and t20s but forget he averages more than plenty of people ahead of him in the pecking order in FC stuff

He grinded out a ton in India and was dropped 3 tests later. Sigh

TheJediBrah

red-ball has been Maxwell's best format* for the last 4-5 years, he just rarely gets a chance to play it because he's in the Aus white-ball team during a lot of Shield rounds

*not actually true, T20 is his best format

Daemon

You can say so many things to make a point if you use the asterisk disclaimer like that haha

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Sheffield Shield averages for middle order batsman over the proceeding three seasons pre UAE tour (1000 run cutoff)

GS Maxwell: 1177 at 51.17
GJ Bailey: 2202 runs at 46.85
HWR Cartwright: 1860 at 46.50
KR Patterson: 2021 at 45.93
AJ Finch: 1271 at 43.82
PSP Handscomb: 1241 at 42.79
AJ Turner: 1620 at 41.53
TM Head: 2104 at 41.25
CJ Ferguson: 1765 at 39.22
M Labuschagne: 1867 at 38.10
JS Lehmann: 1851 at 37.02
MC Henriques: 1157 at 36.15
SD Heazlett: 1337 at 35.18

Numbers confirm more or less what I thought. He certainly wasn't smashing the door down, but when you consider the blokes ahead of him were either too old (Bailey, Ferg) in the team but out of position (Arun) or seemingly blacklisted for some reason (Maxwell) it wasn't that left field for him to make the A team, which is where he then got the test call up from. Handscomb Kpat and Head were also in said side

Saying Marnus was plucked out of nowhere on a GChappell whim is so far wide of the mark I might as well start calling you Harmison

Thinking that is what I said is even more way off the mark that calling you Harmison will be a disservice to Harmison. :p

FWIW, I think the word I used was "punt". He was definitely a punt when you consider how many guys were ahead of him. Its basic, really.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah, now you are just blatantly lying. Have a spell mate

:laugh: And taking a punt on Marnus over the others from your own list is not a credible achievement? :laugh: Care to explain what you called "lying" or is it as non-existent as the rest of your supposed "argument"?

I think I was right. Calling your posting Harmison is a disservice to Harmison. At least he was on the spot once every while.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
:laugh: And taking a punt on Marnus over the others from your own list is not a credible achievement? :laugh: Care to explain what you called "lying" or is it as non-existent as the rest of your supposed "argument"?
Nothing to do with Chappell. Marnus doesn't even fit into the typical Chappell prototype really, for he had been a regular in his state for a while and didn't come though the CA underage teams. If anyone took a punt it would have been Langer, but he really wasn't as far away anyway as you are saying anyway.

The original post you made on the subject was still hot garbage, stop trying to shift the goalposts and just admit you were wrong initially

TheJediBrah

GAS is spot on about Marnus' selection. His presence in A squads wasn't a big surprise or punt, as he was there or thereabouts in Shield performance among his contempararies anyway. Nor was his initial Test tour a punt on his batting more than just because they rated his part-time spin in the UAE, and he had a reputation as a gun short-leg fielder. Somewhere along the line Langer and co (not sure Greg Chappell was involved much at all tbh) decided they like his personality and what he brings to the team off the field which played a big role in him getting a game against India and then being on the Ashes tour.

vcs

The exact degree of credit Greg Chappell deserves for Labuschagne's selection is one of the more fascinating arguments CW has seen recently. :yawn:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Nothing to do with Chappell. Marnus doesn't even fit into the typical Chappell prototype really, for he had been a regular in his state for a while and didn't come though the CA underage teams. If anyone took a punt it would have been Langer, but he really wasn't as far away anyway as you are saying anyway.

The original post you made on the subject was still hot garbage, stop trying to shift the goalposts and just admit you were wrong initially
Given my original post just mentioned that GC needs to be credited with punting on Marnus when he could have so easily not done so, and having thus played a key role in his emergence as one of Australia's current key test batsmen, I think the only hot garbage in this thread have been your responses to that perfectly factual statement. I mean, you know your point is poor when TJB agrees with you. :laugh:

And I don't even know if there is a GC prototype. He thought highly of both Dhoni and Dinesh Karthik in his time with India and they were as different as any two players could be. All I know of GC outside his Indian coaching stint is what I have read, mostly off this forum and it just seemed fair to give him credit given how much flak he usually gets here.

And FWIW, I hate him for what he did to our side in his time as coach.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Given my original post just mentioned that GC needs to be credited with punting on Marnus when he could have so easily not done so, and having thus played a key role in his emergence as one of Australia's current key test batsmen
Just a shame not a single word of that is true

You even admit yourself that you are don't really know how Chappell operates in an Australian context and are only really going off what you have read here. Surely you should actually trust the judgement of those who actually follow the Australian domestic scene closely rather than just jumping to wild and nonsensical conclusions