• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Marnus Labuschagne’s ceiling...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Nope. Just nope. As someone who follows Shield cricket very closely I can safely you are simply completely wrong
And I don't see any actual points in the post, so thanks. FWIW, if your point his shield numbers were not as bad as one may infer from some of the pieces written about him, then fine, I actually agree those numbers are better than what some articles have you believe. But I still think GC deserves credit for taking that punt on him. And if he was seen as a leggie first, it does not explain him batting in top 5 during the A tour to India.

Just change your username to "no u" already
no u.. :laugh:

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Going to have a thorough look at how Marnus stacks up to the other domestic batsman he was in competition with in the relevant time period when I get home. Let it never be said that I am not willing to do some research.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Exactly.

What’s this garbage about GC ‘finding him’?

He wasn’t plucked out of grade cricket, he was a 21 year old averaging 34 in the Shield on a Queensland cricket contract.

We were going through such a batting rut that literally anyone under 30 with a batting average over 30 would of been on a shortlist for consideration.

That fact that Marnus bowls pretty handy leg spin probably brought him to the attention of GC and the selectors rather than him thinking he was going to be a top 5 test batsman in the world in a few years.

Hence the debut in the subcontinent....

Just like it happened with Steve Smith being selected as essentially a bowler.

Anyway, has anyone answered my OP, where do people think he’s going end up statistically at the end of this decade?
What is garbage? Any opinion that does not match yours? Even if his numbers were more impressive under actual context than it first appears, it was still a punt when he was selected ahead of few others for the A tour to India. And that is where I believe GC deserves the credit. And how is this the same as Steve Smith? Marnus was always selected as a batsman to that A series in India.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's very vanilla imo. Obviously subjective though, and completely irrelevant to his quality as a batsman.
How much have you seen of him? Obviously a subjective measure but I'm surprised by it. I'd say he's more expansive and expressive with his shots than the majority.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
To answer your OP mate, he'll play 100 plus tests and average over 50. Will be regarded, along with Smith as the main reason Australia regains and then holds for another decade, the number one ranking. Backed up as they are by an arsenal of elite fast bowlers, and with young batting talent in the wings, it's hard to see anything other than Australia in its rightful place, dominating again.

Once Smith retires and is universally regarded as the best batsman ever aside from Bradman, Labushagne will continue on as captain and lead us to an undefeated run of series wins for about another eight years, and also win back-to-back ODI and T20 WCs, and be the leading run scorer at all of them.
He'll then get bracketed with MS Dhoni in Cricinfo's cricketer of the 30s poll and knocked out in the first round...

Tom Flint

International Regular
To answer your OP mate, he'll play 100 plus tests and average over 50. Will be regarded, along with Smith as the main reason Australia regains and then holds for another decade, the number one ranking. Backed up as they are by an arsenal of elite fast bowlers, and with young batting talent in the wings, it's hard to see anything other than Australia in its rightful place, dominating again.

Once Smith retires and is universally regarded as the best batsman ever aside from Bradman, Labushagne will continue on as captain and lead us to an undefeated run of series wins for about another eight years, and also win back-to-back ODI and T20 WCs, and be the leading run scorer at all of them.
I would expect a team as great as you are saying to have won an away series since 2016

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Lol.. I do not claim to have seen anything of Marnus before his UAE debut. My thoughts on him were post that series as you can hear from the CW podcast around Sep 2018 or something. My point was more around the numbers being used as proof to show that GC was not gutsy in making his calls about Marnus. Even if what you said is true with respect to the context around his averages, it still took a bit of a punt on the part of GC to get him to this level. So to deny that credit is what seems to be revisionism to me, especially because I don't think anyone would have even spoke about him as a prospect with those numbers, even if they knew the context of the pitches and fellow Queensland batsmen averages.

tl;dr: GC deserves the credit we are giving him for finding Marnus, as even with those numbers, I do not see anyone else taking the punt on him. To deny that is revisionism in itself IMO.
nah it's bias, obvs

Tom Flint

International Regular
Only one player he is talking about has only just come into the side. 2016 is a long time and no away tours this year either to change it.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Doubt he's exaggerating tbh, they have good players like he says but just can't get over the line and win away

Flem274*

123/5
he'll be a very good player, but we'll need to see if he catches second season syndrome. he definitely belongs at this level and has a ruthless streak which is promising, but what seperates the very good and the great players from the solid test batsmen is the ability to find a way to contribute when edges are going to hand instead of in gaps and you can't middle anything.

blokes in terrible form poking and prodding their way to 40 odd or even 80 odd are so much more valuable than ****s who get smoked through the gate for 3 when they're not seeing it.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
His ceiling will be like most people, a few feet above his head, unless he has a massive extravagant house.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Sheffield Shield averages for middle order batsman over the proceeding three seasons pre UAE tour (1000 run cutoff)

GS Maxwell: 1177 at 51.17
GJ Bailey: 2202 runs at 46.85
HWR Cartwright: 1860 at 46.50
KR Patterson: 2021 at 45.93
AJ Finch: 1271 at 43.82
PSP Handscomb: 1241 at 42.79
AJ Turner: 1620 at 41.53
TM Head: 2104 at 41.25
CJ Ferguson: 1765 at 39.22
M Labuschagne: 1867 at 38.10
JS Lehmann: 1851 at 37.02
MC Henriques: 1157 at 36.15
SD Heazlett: 1337 at 35.18

Numbers confirm more or less what I thought. He certainly wasn't smashing the door down, but when you consider the blokes ahead of him were either too old (Bailey, Ferg) in the team but out of position (Arun) or seemingly blacklisted for some reason (Maxwell) it wasn't that left field for him to make the A team, which is where he then got the test call up from. Handscomb Kpat and Head were also in said side

Saying Marnus was plucked out of nowhere on a GChappell whim is so far wide of the mark I might as well start calling you Harmison