• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Marnus Labuschagne’s ceiling...

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
He puts his success down to coaching he got a Glamorgan in the English winter that seems to have changed him from a player averaging just over 30 in FC to someone who can dominate at test level. A remarkable transformation.
This is all the more baffling as Glamorgan’s track record with developing their ‘own’ players is limited at best...

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Wasn’t it Rogers or someone who quite improved after some county cricket too? Not as much money in it as T20’s but a few of our other batsmen would do well to follow their example.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think showing this godlike level of consistency even against not particularly great opposition is a great sign. Gets boring unspectacular looking runs, never looks in trouble, I think he's going to be pretty great, unfortunately.
you reckon? compared to who? He's a pretty classy strokemaker from what I've seen, plays a lot of expansive shots

Meridio

International Regular
The next Bradman?

Where has this been stated, ever in the past 2 months?

In the OP is said is he the next Dravid? I.e is he capable of 30+ tons?
ffs it's hyperbole as a literary technique, is it that hard to understand?

He's the form batsman in the world right now, but that doesn't mean he's suddenly on course to be one of the best batsmen that's ever lived. Many, many players have had great series or periods - Marlon Samuels is a relatively recent example - but it's a huge step from there to 30 test hundreds.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
There has definitely been a bit of revisionism going on with regards to Marnus Labuschagne's Shield record here, he isn't quite the hunchy GChappell selection people are claiming. A look at his record leading up to that UAE tour paints a clearer picture

2015/16: 446 runs at 34.31
2016/17: 626 runs at 36.82
2017/18: 795 runs at 41.84

While these numbers certainly don't scream "pick me", it's pretty healthy for someone who plays a lot of their home cricket at the Gabba which is always pretty lively domestically. There has been a few english style meduim pace hacks who have really prospered there. There wouldn't be a great deal of domestic upper middle order batsman who were vastly better across that time preiod

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Unless you posted the same before he was selected or at least after he was selected, what you posted IS revisionism.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Unless you posted the same before he was selected or at least after he was selected, what you posted IS revisionism.
Way to completely miss the point, I was not saying anything about my personal opinions. The claim is that his Sheffield Shield record wasn't as underwhelming as some (yourself included) are making it out to be, which I absolutely 100% stand behind. Somehow I doubt you have even actually watched much Shield cricket.

FTR I did always have a bit of time for Marnus, but certainly didn't forsee him doing that good

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Way to completely miss the point, I was not saying anything about my personal opinions. The claim is that his Sheffield Shield record wasn't as underwhelming as some (yourself included) are making it out to be, which I absolutely 100% stand behind. Somehow I doubt you have even actually watched much Shield cricket.

FTR I did always have a bit of time for Marnus, but certainly didn't forsee him doing that good

Lol.. I do not claim to have seen anything of Marnus before his UAE debut. My thoughts on him were post that series as you can hear from the CW podcast around Sep 2018 or something. My point was more around the numbers being used as proof to show that GC was not gutsy in making his calls about Marnus. Even if what you said is true with respect to the context around his averages, it still took a bit of a punt on the part of GC to get him to this level. So to deny that credit is what seems to be revisionism to me, especially because I don't think anyone would have even spoke about him as a prospect with those numbers, even if they knew the context of the pitches and fellow Queensland batsmen averages.

tl;dr: GC deserves the credit we are giving him for finding Marnus, as even with those numbers, I do not see anyone else taking the punt on him. To deny that is revisionism in itself IMO.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Nope. Just nope. As someone who follows Shield cricket very closely I can safely you are simply completely wrong

Last edited:

Burgey

I think it's about 9'6", more if he lives in an older house with higher ceilings.

sphynx

U19 Debutant
Nope. Just nope. As someone who follows Shield cricket very closely I can safely you are simply completely wrong

Exactly.

What’s this garbage about GC ‘finding him’?

He wasn’t plucked out of grade cricket, he was a 21 year old averaging 34 in the Shield on a Queensland cricket contract.

We were going through such a batting rut that literally anyone under 30 with a batting average over 30 would of been on a shortlist for consideration.

That fact that Marnus bowls pretty handy leg spin probably brought him to the attention of GC and the selectors rather than him thinking he was going to be a top 5 test batsman in the world in a few years.

Hence the debut in the subcontinent....

Just like it happened with Steve Smith being selected as essentially a bowler.

Anyway, has anyone answered my OP, where do people think he’s going end up statistically at the end of this decade?

Last edited:

Burgey

To answer your OP mate, he'll play 100 plus tests and average over 50. Will be regarded, along with Smith as the main reason Australia regains and then holds for another decade, the number one ranking. Backed up as they are by an arsenal of elite fast bowlers, and with young batting talent in the wings, it's hard to see anything other than Australia in its rightful place, dominating again.

Once Smith retires and is universally regarded as the best batsman ever aside from Bradman, Labushagne will continue on as captain and lead us to an undefeated run of series wins for about another eight years, and also win back-to-back ODI and T20 WCs, and be the leading run scorer at all of them.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Exactly.

What’s this garbage about GC ‘finding him’?

He wasn’t plucked out of grade cricket, he was a 21 year old averaging 34 in the Shield on a Queensland cricket contract.

We were going through such a batting rut that literally anyone under 30 with a batting average over 30 would of been on a shortlist for consideration.

That fact that Marnus bowls pretty handy leg spin probably brought him to the attention of GC and the selectors rather than him thinking he was going to be a top 5 test batsman in the world in a few years.

Hence the debut in the subcontinent....

Just like it happened with Steve Smith being selected as essentially a bowler.

Anyway, has anyone answered my OP, where do people think he’s going end up statistically at the end of this decade?
It's always hard to make such long term predictions, but I do think he has a decent chance of averaging 50ish over a long career. Life won't always be as easy as it is now, but being the sort who spends a lot of time in the nets and is willing to tweak his technique to counter issues should hold him in good stead

Daemon

To answer your OP mate, he'll play 100 plus tests and average over 50. Will be regarded, along with Smith as the main reason Australia regains and then holds for another decade, the number one ranking. Backed up as they are by an arsenal of elite fast bowlers, and with young batting talent in the wings, it's hard to see anything other than Australia in its rightful place, dominating again.

Once Smith retires and is universally regarded as the best batsman ever aside from Bradman, Labushagne will continue on as captain and lead us to an undefeated run of series wins for about another eight years, and also win back-to-back ODI and T20 WCs, and be the leading run scorer at all of them.
Good summary. Unfortunately he will never play against left arm wrist spin in reykjavik on a glacial pitch so we'll never know how good he truly was.

Burgey

Good summary. Unfortunately he will never play against left arm wrist spin in reykjavik on a glacial pitch so we'll never know how good he truly was.
All true, even more so given he's unlikely to play against McGrath or Marshall, and therefore has a cloud over his record.