• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian openers

In which Australian ATG team does Warner fit?

• 1st xi

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • 2nd xi

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • 3rd xi

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • 4th xi

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • 5th xi

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • lower

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I think Warner is still in my 5th XI.

Put it this way, since Warner has returned to Test Cricket, has his reputation enhanced? I dont think so as the Ashes was completely woeful.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year

Put it this way, since Warner has returned to Test Cricket, has his reputation enhanced? I dont think so as the Ashes was completely woeful.
Nah I pretty much expected exactly what happened, **** series in England then a big bullying summer. Triple was a nice touch though.

sphynx

U19 Debutant

And yet you’ve probably got people with just as **** a record overseas ahead of him

Nostalgia is a great thing, looking to the historical greats is awesome too, but we definitely overrate some of them because we never saw him.

Most of CW would probably talk about Voges like Pollock and Richards if he played in the 60’s.

Last edited:

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
And yet you’ve probably got people with just as **** a record overseas ahead of him

Nostalgia is a great thing, looking to the historical greats is awesome too, but we definitely overrate some of them because we never saw him.

Most of CW would probably talk about Voges like Pollock and Richards if he played in the 60’s.
If all Pollock and Richards had been doing was bullying minnows, sure.

sphynx

U19 Debutant
Yeah that bowling attack of Graham McKenzie, Alan Connolly with Doug Walters bowling first change and Gleeson and Mallett was certainly all time that Richards And Pollock plundered......

Throw Renneberg (36.09), Graeme Watson (42.33)
And Laurence Mayne (33.06), Eric Freeman (33.21) in the bowling rotation at different times for good measure.

An attack with an average test bowling average of about 34, the majority of the test cricket they played against was probably against the worst Australian and English attacks ever assembled....

Pollock’s two tons in England was against an attack of Norm Thomson, Ken Palmer, Geoff Boycott and Fred Titmus - a combined test bowling average in the 50’s..

Boult, Southee, Roach and Holder who Voges dismantled are basically the West Indian 80’s quartet in comparison...

Last edited:

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Roach had an absolutely ****ed shoulder last time he came here though, he's been absolutely resurgent for a while now

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Evidently I think much higher than Warner than most here. Imo, he'll prove himself to be a better batsman than Hayden by the time his career is over.

morgieb

Evidently I think much higher than Warner than most here. Imo, he'll prove himself to be a better batsman than Hayden by the time his career is over.
For that to happen, he has to have a gun series in Asia. I don't know when he'll be a chance to correct his poor India/SA. Especially given I suspect he'll start declining soon.

For all the crap about Hayden's away record, it's a lot better than Warner!

If I had to make a opener's rankings: Trumper > Simpson > Lawry > Hayden > Morris > Warner > Ponsford > Langer > Woodfull > Taylor

TheJediBrah

Hayden still averaged over 40 away, more if you count neutral in UAE. Warner averages low 30s away. And he's a cheat. Bet Hayden's wife doesn't knock around with NZ rugby leaguers either. And Hayden's a 6'5 alpha chad, Warner looks like an overdeveloped child.

sphynx

U19 Debutant
For that to happen, he has to have a gun series in Asia. I don't know when he'll be a chance to correct his poor India/SA. Especially given I suspect he'll start declining soon.

For all the crap about Hayden's away record, it's a lot better than Warner!

If I had to make a opener's rankings: Trumper > Simpson > Lawry > Hayden > Morris > Warner > Ponsford > Langer > Woodfull > Taylor

Warner has a great record in South Africa, UAE and Bangladesh

Warner’s record in South Africa is a lot better than Haydens.

Australia do a 6 month back-to-back-to-back subcontinent tour in 2022 after the home Ashes which will be Warner’s last chance, unless he retires after that Ashes series.

They may even play in Pakistan rather than the UAE by then.

Pakistan x 2 tests
Sri Lanka x 2 tests
Afghanistan x 1 test
India x 4 tests

Last edited:

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Hayden still averaged over 40 away, more if you count neutral in UAE. Warner averages low 30s away. And he's a cheat. Bet Hayden's wife doesn't knock around with NZ rugby leaguers either. And Hayden's a 6'5 alpha chad, Warner looks like an overdeveloped child.
I know you are trolling, but it isn't funny in the slightest. Massive cringe

sunilz

International Regular
Why would you bring players wife while comparing them ? I know you have been trying to be funny since yesterday but it's simply not working.

morgieb

Warner has a great record in South Africa, UAE and Bangladesh

Warner’s record in South Africa is a lot better than Haydens.

Australia do a 6 month back-to-back-to-back subcontinent tour in 2022 after the home Ashes which will be Warner’s last chance, unless he retires after that Ashes series.

They may even play in Pakistan rather than the UAE by then.

Pakistan x 2 tests
Sri Lanka x 2 tests
Afghanistan x 1 test
India x 4 tests
It is, but Hayden's record in South Africa once he got established in the team is actually pretty damn good IIRC. Granted he never had a series over there like Warner did in 2013/14. Trouble is that is kind of sui generis in Warner's away career, which is largely bad.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag

I do get what you are saying but I might as well explain further.

Firstly, I would prefer to go conservative when a cricketer is yet to finish his career.

I also care about how batsman perform when under significant pressure against good bowling.

Nostalgia does play a part. I basically want to see x, y, z from a recent cricketer before they can overtake players I have only ever read (a lot) about from the past.

the big bambino

International Captain
Yeah that bowling attack of Graham McKenzie, Alan Connolly with Doug Walters bowling first change and Gleeson and Mallett was certainly all time that Richards And Pollock plundered......

Throw Renneberg (36.09), Graeme Watson (42.33)
And Laurence Mayne (33.06), Eric Freeman (33.21) in the bowling rotation at different times for good measure.

An attack with an average test bowling average of about 34, the majority of the test cricket they played against was probably against the worst Australian and English attacks ever assembled....

Pollock’s two tons in England was against an attack of Norm Thomson, Ken Palmer, Geoff Boycott and Fred Titmus - a combined test bowling average in the 50’s..

Boult, Southee, Roach and Holder who Voges dismantled are basically the West Indian 80’s quartet in comparison...
That attack in the first para is pretty good. I’m guessing the bulk of their games were against eng, sa and wi. Hence the relatively high averages. It’s modern players who have their averages massaged by playing second tier teams. If anything CW overestimates modem players just like the analogy in your last para.

Last edited:

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Graham McKenzie was brilliant, definitely way underrated. Mallett should get more mentions regarding quality Australian spin bowling as well

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
But McKenzie did have a very poor series in S Africa in 1970 though, taking 1 wicket in 4 tests for 333 runs; he does seem to have been affected by illness.