• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

4 Day Tests

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
ICC considering making 4 day tests mandatory.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/28394321/icc-consider-mandatory-four-day-tests

Not sure if there are any existing threads on this topic. Mods, feel free to merge if there is one. But I think this is a rather substantial development. One thing I don't understand is the need for 98 day overs. Surely, it can be made an even 100 and that way we only lose 50 overs compared to a regular 5 day test? But it has to put pressure on teams to keep up the over rate a lot more than what happens today. And that opens its own can of worms. I do feel eventually we may move towards all pink ball 4 day (400 over) tests with ability to play day/night even when not scheduled that way.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It won't make a difference in South Africa. I can't remember the last time a Test went into the fifth day there.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Given the state of test cricket, how do you kill something that is dead?

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
I think 4 day tests idea started off with the intention of having Thursday to Sunday matches which potentially attract maximum audience. How this will pan out remains to be seen. Exciting draws on 4th evening would be good for the game but boring dull and predictable draws on flat pitches would be the final nail in the coffin.

I also don't see how 98 overs would be bowled in a day, as hb said. Most teams struggle to complete 85 and then there is the issue of natural light. Pink ball tests might solve these problems but the administrators must make it crystal clear that no more ****ing around with 10-12 overs an hour.

Flem274*

123/5
burn the witch

test cricket has supposedly been dying for decades, the administrators say so, but i just saw 20k people sit through a thrashing for 4 days surrounded by 60k of the opposing fans. cricket fans outside cw are always ready to discuss their test team, especially after a big win or a painful loss, but test cricket is dying.

people might not have time to sit through every ball for 5 days, but many will pop it on and leave it running over the summer while they potter about the house or fall asleep to it at night during a winter tour.

if test cricket dies, it will be because the administrators want it to die. it won't die a natural death, it will be murdered in pursuit of the mythical 'modern audience' who apparently want wall to wall t20s forever. no one only watches t20. you either watch all limited overs, all cricket or hate the sport. even my mum prefers odis and test cricket draws completely vex her.

mr_mister

If this true we may have just seen the last triple century forever

Teams will start declaring at 450-5 lol

I think the idea is crap. Unless you extended all 3 sessions by half an hour there's no way you'd get 100 overs in a day. And surely the players wouldn't want an extra 90 min of cricket each day. That **** is tiring

Would the extra days saved over a series at least mean an extra test could be played? It'd be nice to see some of the smaller nations get 4 test series and stuff I guess

Spikey

I mean, it's pretty rare the 5th day actually provides anything of use. it's no surprise it's being looked at. And there's no real reason for 5 day tests, it's just what they landed on between English 3 day tests and the Australian timeless tests. The reasons to move towards 4 day are basically the same as the reasons to that led to 5 day uniformity across the world, so I'll struggle to generate tears if history strikes again and there's another rework

I'm not sure why 98 overs in a day is unachievable when 96 overs is used in first class competition across the world...

Spikey

if anyone comes in here to say "it's a test because it's 5 days!" I will straight up murder you. The use of "test cricket" has literally nothing to do with the days in the test, which has been 3, 4, 5, 6 & timeless through it's history, so try some other stupid point

mr_mister

Believe Hammond's 336 was in a 3 day match too
And what do you know, it was a dull draw.

Modern captains are ultra aggressive generally and it seems teams are ashamed to draw now.

so with 4 day tests you'll never see teams hitting 600/players hitting 300 ever again. It won't leave enough time to win games

OverratedSanity

It could work if the pitches continue to be as bowler friendly as theyve been for the most part in the last 2 years, especially in England and SA.

And does anyone really think they're doing this to free up the calendar for more test cricket? Dont buy it for a second, theyll just fill up the empty spaces with more pointless t20s. If it does lead to more tests, then fair enough but Ill believe it when I see it.

sunilz

International Regular
Also in a 4 day game no team would like to bat more than 4 sessions, so unless you are Sehwag/ Gilchrist there simply wouldn't be enough time to score triple century