• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

4 Day Tests

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I know I'll put in a lot of draw bets, especially in places like Australia and Pakistan

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Probably need to consider that in a few years time in Australia and India you're only going to get like half a month of conditions which aren't saunas.

Raffski

School Boy/Girl Captain
I'd like to see a fair whack at deprivatizing televised cricket before we start meddling with the game to accomodate more money.

I'd also like to see where its thought the money being lost on a fifth day is actually hitting. More peanuts in the pocket of the bigger organisations is meaningless to me.
It's the grounds that lose out on the fifth days- the bars and concession stands will all be close to fully staffed but they won't recuperate that money from the small crowds.

My biggest worry about 4 day tests is definitely the impact of weather.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think its doable in terms of scheduling, but not for every test I guess. I see a future where we have that option avaiable for certain games/series though.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
They're doing this to shove more T20s into the scheduling. The people who don't care for a five day Test won't care for a four day Test either. An extra day or two of T20 action means big money though.

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
It's the grounds that lose out on the fifth days- the bars and concession stands will all be close to fully staffed but they won't recuperate that money from the small crowds.
How often is this the case? In Australia the 5th days seem to often be gold coin entry and are small crowds regardless, so I'm sure this would be taken into account and they're not planning for large crowds regardless.

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
As a general rule, the more compressed a game of cricket becomes, the faster the scoring. That's a pretty reasonable assumption, no?
Yeah but there are several factors that aren't directly related to the length of the game - e.g. the bowlers are more restricted in where they can bowl to batsmen without giving wides, field restrictions, pitches are usually flatter, boundaries are further in.

If we're just dropping from 5 days to 4 with no other changes then I doubt the scoring rates will increase much.

ataraxia

International Coach
One thing this would mean is probably and hopefully more bowling-friendly pitches. Still, the vibe may be lost as no big partnerships come to hand and ODIs consistently and normal generate higher scores than tests. Spinners would become even more useless outside of the SC. Think there is minimal positive benefit to tests here. I try to think of positive benefits and all it is in SA knowing how to play these better than any other team and fringe SA pacers will average less than 20. The only real positive benefit that I can think of is more dream starts to test careers as players are more accustomed to the 4-day game from FC-level. Tests are not doomed currently, but maybe if 4-day games go ahead then they will be.

mr_mister

Maybe because it'd essentially ruin modern day bowlers economy rates as a statistical measurement

But honestly I don't know

Gnske

My biggest worry about 4 day tests is definitely the impact of weather.
This isn't the answer for all grounds though.

Ground attendance drops off severely after Day 1 generally however, at least in Australia. Besides I have zero faith any minimal recuperated funds from grounds can go towards improving the experience for the spectator.

Gnske

I mean lets face it, the ECB, ACB and BCCI have a cornucopia of money as is and the decision making on making the game better generally is trash.