• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Remembering the flashes in the pan

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Was thinking Graham Onions, but then he's been an excellent county bowler for the last decade. Not sure why his test career ended quite abruptly (injury?) as he took 4-88 in his final match and finished with 32 wickets at under 30

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Vijay Bharadwaj immediately comes to my mind. Seriously thought he was the new star in the down after the extraordinary show in Nairobi ODI series in 1999. When it happened,the mean reversion was brutal.

Azhar Mehmood after the epic start in SA, faded away.

Irfan Pathan, Laxman Sivaramakrishnan - couple of other names.
Was going to post Vijay Bharadwaj. He was the MOTS in that series and seemed like a decent spin bowling all rounder and then he was never seen again.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Sadagoppan Ramesh.
Was the best batsman during the 3 Ind-Pak test match in 1999.

After having a good look at his stats ,looks like he had good 1999 . Now not sure whether he can be called flash in the pan.
Think he was hard done by. IIRC he had some injury troubles and the team just moved on. Scored a couple of centuries against that Pakistan attack and deserved a bit more of a chance.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I think you might mean Bob Massie? Debuted at Lord’s in 72 and took 8 fer in each innings. He’s a terrific shout. Had just about pat his outswinger by the end of that your and i don’t think he played beyond the 73 Windies tour.
Yes, that's the one.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
A good shout. Hrishikesh Kanitkar as well. Sadanand Vishwanath, Maninder Singh.. Number of Indians in this list could be horrendously huge.
Hemang Badani looked very very promising as a limited over batsman. Played some good knocks against good attacks then disappeared. Check this one out:

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Chris Rogers I think should be considered as a brief but consistent period of excellence that ended on his terms as opposed to fizzling out.

Says a lot that he's easily our no.2 opening bat for the decade despite playing for only two of those years.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Chris Rogers I think should be considered as a brief but consistent period of excellence that ended on his terms as opposed to fizzling out.

Says a lot that he's easily our no.2 opening bat for the decade despite playing for only two of those years.
It's a shame he wasn't 5 years younger, otherwise he'd be pushing for the World XI of the 2010's.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Think he was hard done by. IIRC he had some injury troubles and the team just moved on. Scored a couple of centuries against that Pakistan attack and deserved a bit more of a chance.

Stood up against Murali in SL in the 2001 or 2002 tour there too.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Hemang Badani looked very very promising as a limited over batsman. Played some good knocks against good attacks then disappeared. Check this one out:

Got us runs in the CB series final in 2003 as well. Definitely unlucky to miss out during that period. Also remember how Kaif came running in to pluck a catch that would have been easily pocketed by Badani in that ODI against Pak in Pak. Badani was lucky to avoid major injury.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain

Opened the batting against Zimbabwe on test debut, then Murali and Co gobbled him in SL. Never played tests again. Always thought he deserved a few more chances.

Played a good amount of ODIs in early 2000s but never kicked on.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It’s been suggested that Massie used lip salve to make the ball swing at Lords, was warned off doing it again, and never achieved much after that. No idea if it’s true.
I’ve never seen anyone seriously suggest that Massie cheated. When he bowled England out in the second innings the conditions were freakishly good for swing bowling. Ray Illingworth wasn’t happy with the light as the cloud cover was very low with misty rain around.
Lip-salve story a stir, says Ian Chappell (1977, January 22). The Canberra Times (ACT : 1926 - 1995), p. 44. Retrieved December 31, 2019, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article110836628

LONDON, Friday
(AAP). — Illingworth and Snow stood by their allegations that Australian bowlers had doctored the ball when asked by Australian Associated Press yesterday."It was 1972 in England", Illingworth said.

Flametree

International 12th Man
Read the effing thread description folks.

This is a thread for remembering players who had their 15 minutes of fame and then fizzled out into obscurity again this decade

Massie and Hirwani didn't do a lot in the 2010s I don't think...

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's a shame he wasn't 5 years younger, otherwise he'd be pushing for the World XI of the 2010's.
If only. The gulf between him and even the best of the new generation (Burns I guess in this case) is tantalising. I miss his strokeplay actually.

Even Katich might have made a decade XI for Australia if he had his probable last couple of years and wasn't Epstein'd by Clarke.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Sadagoppan Ramesh.
Was the best batsman during the 3 Ind-Pak test match in 1999.

After having a good look at his stats ,looks like he had good 1999 . Now not sure whether he can be called flash in the pan.
If I was not mistaken he was destroyed by Muralitharan. Couldn't even edge him in the series in SL. Later played well though

Last edited: