• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread (white ball edition)

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I knew tons of white SAffers, they all moved to Brisbane. And just like every other mob out there, there are some good blokes, some **** blokes and a bunch somewhere in between.

They all seemed to be mildly racist though, but more against black South Africans from the townships.

Tbf, living in South Africa was a bit crazy. I had one Saffer tell me that she'd only been held up at gunpoint twice at a set of traffic lights, as if that wasn't very often.

stephen

All the Saffer women I've known have been utter bombshells too. Something about the environment improves their looks.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I knew tons of white SAffers, they all moved to Brisbane. And just like every other mob out there, there are some good blokes, some **** blokes and a bunch somewhere in between.

They all seemed to be mildly racist though, but more against black South Africans from the townships.

Tbf, living in South Africa was a bit crazy. I had one Saffer tell me that she'd only been held up at gunpoint twice at a set of traffic lights, as if that wasn't very often.
Not really surprising though is it? I'd guess that if you were a racist white South African you'd probably be more likely to leave the country than if you weren't.

stephen

Not really surprising though is it? I'd guess that if you were a racist white South African you'd probably be more likely to leave the country than if you weren't.
Well no it never seemed to be overt, mostly a fear or some weird theories. Like one person said that black people didn't seem to be able to judge moving traffic as well as white people, which is why you would more often see them hit by cars on South African highways. I don't think I've heard hate- based racism from any of them. Heard it from more than one white Australian though.

sunilz

International Regular
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HM8kTibg8E

Ian Bishop's ODI ATG XI:

Sachin Tendulkar
Rohit Sharma
Viv Richards
Virat Kohli
AB de Villiers
Lance Klusener
MS Dhoni
Saqlain Mushtaq
Wasim Akram
Joel Garner
Glenn McGrath

Gun team. I would swap #3 and #4 and also #6 and #7
[Stephen] So only 1 player from AUS which has won 5 WC and 4 from IND which has won just 2 WC. And Rohit above Gilchrist shows he knows nothing about adjusted batting average. He needs to visit CW more [/Stephen]

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I have started leaning towards picking Imran Khan as the all-rounder. His record is quite good. As a 5th bowler he will give no respite to the opposition, something which can't probably be said of Klusener or other all-rounder options.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HM8kTibg8E

Ian Bishop's ODI ATG XI:

Sachin Tendulkar
Rohit Sharma
Viv Richards
Virat Kohli
AB de Villiers
Lance Klusener
MS Dhoni
Saqlain Mushtaq
Wasim Akram
Joel Garner
Glenn McGrath

Gun team. I would swap #3 and #4 and also #6 and #7
Great team.
Ian Bishop comes across as a tremendous analyst and observer of the game.

Unfulfilled career as a player but so fulfilling as a commentator.

h_hurricane

I would go with the below team.

Sachin Tendulkar
Adam Gilchrist
Virat Kohli
Vivian Richards
AB Devilliers
Michael Bevan
Kapil Dev
Wasim Akram
Shane Warne
Joel Garner
Glenn Mcgrath

mr_mister

Scorecard - 1998-1999 West Indies v Australia - 18/04/1999

I watched the highlights of this game recently and realised how good Bevan was. Batting was insanely difficult on occasions in Bevans era, Jayasuriya hardly changed batting conditions overnight in '96, it was a slow burn to what we have today

Bevan did no favours to his strike rate (something that's held against him) yet it was a vital first innings rebuild much like in the '96 and '99 WC semis

Australia were 8-104 at one point and he just played an awesome rebuild

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I would go with the below team.

Sachin Tendulkar
Adam Gilchrist
Virat Kohli
Vivian Richards
AB Devilliers
Michael Bevan
Kapil Dev
Wasim Akram
Shane Warne
Joel Garner
Glenn Mcgrath
I like both teams. Klusener probably the only one I'd consider lucky to be named, but not outrageously so. I'd probably make room for Symonds in my XI ahead of one of Klusener/Bevan/Kapil Dev.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
I will do the Zimbabwe XI

Neil Johnson (4)
Grant Flower (7)
Brendon Taylor
Andy Flower
Dave Houghton (c)
Sikandar Raza (6)
Tatenda Taibu (wk)
Heath Streak (2)
Andy Blignaut (3)
John Traicos (5)
Eddo Brandes (1)

Guy Whitall, Paul Strang, Travis Friend, Henry Olonga and Murray Goodwin are unlucky to miss out.

h_hurricane

I do think below bowlers are terribly under-rated in ODIs. Should make more ATG XIs.

Richard Hadlee
Curtly Ambrose
Shaun Pollock

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
My ATG XI

Sachin Tendulkar
Sanath Jayasuriya (6)
Viv Richards (c) (7)
Jaques Kallis (5)
Virat Kohli
AB Devilliers