• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Grand Slam Draft Tournament

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Ok, so hear me out. This one's a bit of a hair-brained scheme, but it could potentially be a fun draft-style "tournament" which operates in a unique way. Essentially the premise of the draft is to resemble a real-life knockout tournament. Where 8, or even 16, drafters compete against one another in one-on-one style duels until a champion emerges. In a nutshell, it basically works the same way as a Grand Slam tennis tournament. I'm kind of making this up on the fly, but some general rules would be as follows...

- Each drafter is entered into the tournament bracket & competes in one-on-one mini drafts against their opponent. These mini drafts are exclusive to the two players involved, & will run simultaneously with the other matchups for the round.

- Prior to each round, there will be a virtual coin toss. The winner of the toss has the choice of picking first in the draft, or choosing to set the parameters for the draft (Eg: "1948 Ashes players only", or "10 Tests or less"). The coin-toss winner must also stipulate whether Bradman is available or not.

- Players are then free to pick. 8 hour time limits apply. If a drafter times out, their opponent may continue to make selections every eight hours. Drafters which have timed-out are permitted to make "catch up" picks when they can. If a drafter times out four times in succession (48 hours) they will forfeit the round. Also, cricketers may be selected numerous times by different drafters in the same round, but cannot (obviously) be selected twice in an individual duel.

- Once each mini-draft for the round has been completed, we'll go to a vote. Rather than creating numerous threads for this, we can just post our votes in this thread, leaving the vote open for a period of a few days. The winner of each battle will progress to the next round & square off against their next opponent.

Anyone keen to give this a go? Will need either 8 or 16 players to make it work. I won't be competing, but rather administrating. Alternatively, the same concept can be adapted if we get somewhere between 8 & 16 drafters (or even more) where we split drafters off into groups & go with a group/knockout style comp. Keen for anyone to offer insight on how to improve the tournament, too.

Hope to lure the cream of the CW drafting crop :)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Sounds interesting. I'm off to la belle France for Xmas with the in-laws from the 20th to the 31st, so might have limited t'interweb access for that period, but would be up for it notwithstanding Johnny Frog's mildly cack broadband.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sign me up

The specific draft rules would have to be fairly tight throughout right? Like the 1948 and less than 10 tests examples are pretty good. Even a slighty too big window though will result in too many good available players and too many impossible to split teams

Maybe groups of 4 instead of 1 v 1 would be better?

ataraxia

International Coach
I'll play; agree with mr that groups of 4 could be better if we get 16 players. Question: Say toss winner selects to start and chooses to play with Bradman, then second player chooses something like 'had a less-than-10-year Test career'. Would Bradman be eligible?

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Sounds interesting. I'm off to la belle France for Xmas with the in-laws from the 20th to the 31st, so might have limited t'interweb access for that period, but would be up for it notwithstanding Johnny Frog's mildly cack broadband.
Niiiice. Enjoy. I'm going to France myself in April next, excited about visiting Europe for the first time. I'd say if this thing kicks off before Christmas, we might just initiate a hiatus on Xmas day since everyone will be busy then.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
that sounds fun.

eight hours seems short when considering the Australia-Europe time difference though?
Actually, yeah. A head-to-head battle between someone from the UK & someone from Asia/Oceania will require probably a 12 hour limit at the least.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Sign me up

The specific draft rules would have to be fairly tight throughout right? Like the 1948 and less than 10 tests examples are pretty good. Even a slighty too big window though will result in too many good available players and too many impossible to split teams

Maybe groups of 4 instead of 1 v 1 would be better?
I'll play; agree with mr that groups of 4 could be better if we get 16 players. Question: Say toss winner selects to start and chooses to play with Bradman, then second player chooses something like 'had a less-than-10-year Test career'. Would Bradman be eligible?
Four groups of four also sounds pretty good and I'd be keen on running the comp that way. I'm intrigued to see how the whole 1 vs 1 dynamic will play out, and I suppose the winners, or top two, from each group will end up progressing to knockout stage.

As for your question Milenko, if the person who wins the "toss" chooses to pick first, then they must wait for their opponent to outline the draft parameters before the round will begin.

Last edited:

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Registration list:

BoyBrumby
Howe_zat
honestbharani
Magrat Garlick
mr_mister
Milenko47
morgieb

ataraxia

International Coach
Four groups of four also sounds pretty good and I'd be keen on running the comp that way. I'm intrigued to see how the whole 1 vs 1 dynamic will play out, and I suppose the winners, or top two, from each group will end up progressing to knockout stage.

As for your question Milenko, if the person who wins the "toss" chooses to pick first, then they must wait for their opponent to outline the draft parameters before the round will begin.
My question is whether Bradman is eligible if the toss winner chooses that he is and their opponent makes a draft where Bradman wouldn't be eligible otherwise.

If we get something like 12 people we could do 4 pools of 3 wherein two progress to 1v1 quarterfinals and so on.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
My question is whether Bradman is eligible if the toss winner chooses that he is and their opponent makes a draft where Bradman wouldn't be eligible otherwise.
Just to clarify, if you win the toss, you have two options. You can either choose to pick first, in which case your opponent gets to decide the draft parameters & whether or not Bradman is in play. Or you can let the other drafter pick first & choose for yourself the draft parameters & decide whether you're cool with Bradman. No-one can start drafting until this has been decided by both parties. I imagine no-one will want Bradman to be available anyway as it pretty much guarantees your opponent will have first dibs on him in most scenarios, so perhaps it might be wise to just outlaw Braddles completely.

JOJOXI

International Vice-Captain
Good to have newbies doing drafts (being one myself).
Yep Sports Drafts/Auctions always intrigue me, will be hoping to follow the IPL Auction tomorrow/later today! Hopefully us newbies can show up the experienced names :laugh: