• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa 2019/20

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
www.espncricinfo.com/scores/series/19286/england-in-sa-2019-20

26-30 Dec 1st Test SuperSport Park, Centurion
03-07 Jan 2nd Test Newlands, Cape Town
16-20 Jan 3rd Test St George’s Park, Port Elizabeth
24-28 Jan 4th Test Wanderers Stadium, Johannesburg

Tue 04 Feb 1st ODI Newlands, Cape Town
Fri 07 Feb 2nd ODI Kingsmead, Durban
Sun 09 Feb 3rd ODI Wanderers Stadium, Johannesburg

Wed 12 Feb 1st T20 Buffalo Park, East London
Fri 14 Feb 2nd T20 Kingsmead, Durban
Sun 16 Feb 3rd T20 SuperSport Park, Centurion

Longer tour than I thought. Only just realised it is 4 Tests.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
England-SA playing 4 Tests every time is good. India should do that too against SA. Hoping SA can bounce back well after the India tour.

BSM

U19 Cricketer
Bairstow will be in the squad by all accounts. Really hope he doesn't get back in that starting xi without even having improved his performances since getting dropped. Very overrated test player imo, and it was absolutely baffling that some people online considered him undropable. Averaged 20 in 2019, and only averged mid 30s the two years before (respectable but certainly not world class). Awesome one day player but I genuinely think Butler is the better test match batsman (or at least has the potential to be better if given the some game time with the gloves)

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
First time I've noticed an SA boxing day test not being played at Durban. Has this happened in the last couple of years or is it the first time in a while?

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
www.espncricinfo.com/scores/series/19286/england-in-sa-2019-20

26-30 Dec 1st Test SuperSport Park, Centurion
03-07 Jan 2nd Test Newlands, Cape Town
16-20 Jan 3rd Test St George’s Park, Port Elizabeth
24-28 Jan 4th Test Wanderers Stadium, Johannesburg

Tue 04 Feb 1st ODI Newlands, Cape Town
Fri 07 Feb 2nd ODI Kingsmead, Durban
Sun 09 Feb 3rd ODI Wanderers Stadium, Johannesburg

Wed 12 Feb 1st T20 Buffalo Park, East London
Fri 14 Feb 2nd T20 Kingsmead, Durban
Sun 16 Feb 3rd T20 SuperSport Park, Centurion

Longer tour than I thought. Only just realised it is 4 Tests.
At least there's breaks between games. I think it was the last England tour where there was like a one day break between tests.

Insanity.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The very defintion of a midtable match up.. But both teams got potentially very good to great players in their line up though. So should be good to watch as long as the series even goes ahead, what with all the issues CSA seems to be into.

Daemon

Will Anderson be back for this? Without him it could go either way but I don't think SA have a good shot at winning if he's around.

Dendarii

International Debutant
First time I've noticed an SA boxing day test not being played at Durban. Has this happened in the last couple of years or is it the first time in a while?
The last time South Africa played the Boxing Day test at Durban was England's previous tour in 2015. It then moved to Port Elizabeth for two years and last year Pretoria (Centurion) where it looks like it's set to stay. Durban hasn't been particularly well supported (unless India are playing) and hasn't been the most successful of venues for South Africa, hence the move.

vcs

SA's batting will have to step up here. Hoping to see Markram, Hamza etc. delivering on their potential. Their attack should have enough to take 20 wickets in SA conditions most of the time.

SeamUp

International Coach
SA Invitational side should be a good opportunity for players like Grant Roelofsen, Josh Richards, Raynard van Tonder, Jason Smith, Wandile Makwetu, Dayyaan Galiem who aren't in the MSL.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
SA Invitational side should be a good opportunity for players like Grant Roelofsen, Josh Richards, Raynard van Tonder, Jason Smith, Wandile Makwetu, Dayyaan Galiem who aren't in the MSL.
Have they announced a squad yet? Have not see anything.

SeamUp

International Coach
Have they announced a squad yet? Have not see anything.
Squads will be announced next week. They having the meeting today. Key decisions will be made and it will hopefully be known who is selecting these squads. The guys above not in MSL have a good chance of playing but I suppose they should make their franchise teams.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Is there enough of a board to select anything? Are not like 90% of the people who should be selecting on suspension?

SeamUp

International Coach
Is there enough of a board to select anything? Are not like 90% of the people who should be selecting on suspension?
It is going to be some effort to co-ordinate things. In an ideal world you want them all to resign and then let wise cricket heads take control of cricketing decisions with immediate effect.

Think I saw Dave Richardson is helping to select who to replace Moroe while on suspension but hopefully today results in a bigger fall out. With long time successful sponsors Standard Bank withdrawing sponsorship and SACA calling on the whole board to do so yesterday,

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I think Rob Houwing was talking about letting Faf and Nkwe pick the squad.

I would like for the entire board to resign/put on suspension. Bring in somebody like Richardson to take over in the interim. And then they hire Smith as the Director of cricket immediately. Between Smith, Faf and Nkwe could probably get a good squad together.

I heard them talking Jacques Faul as well.

Edit: Gonna try avoid the CSA issues this thread. Keep it in the selection thread.

Last edited:

Stefan9

International Debutant
The very defintion of a midtable match up.. But both teams got potentially very good to great players in their line up though. So should be good to watch as long as the series even goes ahead, what with all the issues CSA seems to be into.
Series will go ahead. Along with India its the most lucrative tour. Can't afford for it not to go ahead. SACA has said that if they strike it won't affect the test series.