• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa 2019/20

FBU

International Debutant
1 Root
2 Anderson
3 Archer
4 Bairstow
5 Broad
6 Burns
7 Buttler
8 Crawley
9 Curran
10 Denly
11 Leach
12 Parkinson
13 Pope
14 Sibley
15 Stokes
16 Woakes
17 Wood

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Ali the interesting issue.

Seems they wanted him back in the squad but Moeen doesn't want to return at this point. https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/dec/06/moeen-ali-england-south-africa

They will presumably try again for Sri Lanka in March but if he not's willing to come back at that point, then they will have to move on. It's not very helpful for the spinner at present to have Root talking about Ali returning. https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...-ali-england-test-return-south-africa-cricket
We saw the myopic selection of no spinner in the last test England played, which may have had something to do with the wrong presumption that Moeen was going to return for South Africa, but if Moeen isn't going to return then they need to give opportunities to other spinners to make their way in test cricket.

If Moeen was taking a complete break from the game then I'd be more likely to give him time, but he's busy playing in 20 and 10 over competitions around the world instead. It looks like he just doesn't fancy test cricket any more, and that's a shame because he could still offer a lot to the test side. At present he's a distraction in the background that they can put up with, but if he doesn't return in Sri Lanka that's likely the end of his test career imo.

FBU

International Debutant
Ali the interesting issue.

Seems they wanted him back in the squad but Moeen doesn't want to return at this point. https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/dec/06/moeen-ali-england-south-africa

They will presumably try again for Sri Lanka in March but if he not's willing to come back at that point, then they will have to move on. It's not very helpful for the spinner at present to have Root talking about Ali returning. https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...-ali-england-test-return-south-africa-cricket
We saw the myopic selection of no spinner in the last test England played, which may have had something to do with the wrong presumption that Moeen was going to return for South Africa, but if Moeen isn't going to return then they need to give opportunities to other spinners to make their way in test cricket.

If Moeen was taking a complete break from the game then I'd be more likely to give him time, but he's busy playing in 20 and 10 over competitions around the world instead. It looks like he just doesn't fancy test cricket any more, and that's a shame because he could still offer a lot to the test side. At present he's a distraction in the background that they can put up with, but if he doesn't return in Sri Lanka that's likely the end of his test career imo.
He only gave himself 2 overs in the T10s, high score 35. Still not right.
Bairstow no f/c runs since he was dropped. I would rather have Foakes as the reserve keeper
Wood not 100% fit yet

SeamUp

International Coach
1 Root
2 Anderson
3 Archer
4 Bairstow
5 Broad
6 Burns
7 Buttler
8 Crawley
9 Curran
10 Denly
11 Leach
12 Parkinson
13 Pope
14 Sibley
15 Stokes
16 Woakes
17 Wood
No real surprises. Moeen obviously the one they maybe would have liked to have had available and he loves playing SA.

Got Archer and Wood for Wanderers and Centurion.

At least we won't have to subjected to Broad tearing through us at Kingsmead with uneven bounce or reverse swing again.

Last edited:

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Frankly I don't understand why England are so keen to get Moeen back around the setup in the first place. It strikes me as the quintessential case of always looking like a better cricketer when not in the team

Shady Slim

International Coach
1 Root
2 Anderson
3 Archer
4 Bairstow
5 Broad
6 Burns
7 Buttler
8 Crawley
9 Curran
10 Denly
11 Leach
12 Parkinson
13 Pope
14 Sibley
15 Stokes
16 Woakes
17 Wood
jeez broad at five and denners at ten sure seems like an odd batting order, i suppose it’s made up for by the fact england apparently get seventeen batsmen

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
If Wood is fit I would definitely consider him. I feel like he has as good a chance as anyone of taking a wicket when its not a new ball or reversing.

Looking forward to seeing SAs XI.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Frankly I don't understand why England are so keen to get Moeen back around the setup in the first place. It strikes me as the quintessential case of always looking like a better cricketer when not in the team
In fairness Moeen was sensational the last time he played South Africa. Would also be very handy against Sri Lanka.

But yeah, it's hard to argue he's a better package than Leach, especially given his batting has gone dramatically south too.

Bijed

International Regular
Tbf, from his recall against India up to his bad Ashes test, he'd taken 45 wickets @23 in 9 matches, so if his bowling stayed close to that good he's absolutely someone you'd want in the team

Father Time

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
We simply have to move on from Moeen Ali. The focus must be on finding the right spinner for the next Ashes. Moeen is not the one for that.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
We simply have to move on from Moeen Ali. The focus must be on finding the right spinner for the next Ashes. Moeen is not the one for that.
I'm all for looking at the long term as well as the short term but you can't get too ashes centric.

They have Sri Lanka this winter and 5 tests in India next winter. Moeen will definitely be an asset for those series.

And when was the last time an English spinner (or really any overseas spinner) had a big positive impact in Australia?

I'm no massive Moeen fan but you have to be pragmatic. We don't have lots of good spinners. His allrounder skills give the team flexibility of selection. If you take his overall career stats of batting 29 and bowling 36.6 they are reasonable.

Ideally I'd like him as part of the best 15 or 16 players that you pick from. Of course if Moeen doesn't want to play test cricket any more then yes they need to move on.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Agree with Father Time, England should really move on from Moeen now. He's played 60 tests, and yes has contributed to a number of series wins, but his objective of playing franchise T10/T20 cricket shows where his mindset is at.
If he has a great start to the CC season, then fine he should come into the equation, but otherwise it's time to think about other options. Bess or Dawson should be looked at now (as spinners who can bat)

Last edited:

Tom Flint

International Regular
Tbf leach's batting has been better than moeens last 2 years anyway. However he has looked the big wicket taking threat we thought he might. He does hold an end as well as mo did too

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Our batting will struggle against Rabada.
TBF that sentence works just as well without "against Rabada" on the end of it.

Vic Marks suggesting Bairstow will slot in at #3, with Denly going back up to open. From The Guardian:

Vic Marks said:
Where does the batting vacancy lie? Most probably at No 3, a position he has taken on with some reluctance in the past.

South Africa, if they have the chance to contemplate the details of the forthcoming series in the chaos that seems to exist in the running of their game, would probably rather bowl to Dom Sibley as opposed to Bairstow on Boxing Day.

There is clearly a case for opening with Joe Denly from the start with Bairstow at three. It may be the agonising about Bairstow will be another thorny issue that runs and runs – unless he starts there and scores runs and runs.
There's a definite "deckchair shuffling on Titantic" feel about it all, IMHO.

Stapel

International Regular
Will Anderson be back for this? Without him it could go either way but I don't think SA have a good shot at winning if he's around.
I wouldn't bet on Jimmy to make the difference. Nevertheless, I really, really would like to see him going on for another year. Or at least a series. He is the finest bowler I've ever seen.