• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa 2019/20

91Jmay

International Coach
Lose 8 overs but we’ve moved game on plenty. Dom Bess big job tomorrow, nail down his position with a 5fer.

artvandalay

State Vice-Captain
Pitch it up mate or they'll be going off for bad light.

And just one slip when we have almost 500 on the board?
Root just seems to get defensive for no reason. I felt even during the 4th innings of the previous test with south africa only looking to save the game his fields were not attacking enough.

Having said that pope has been quite the difference maker, definitely a big upgrade on what bairstow was.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Root just seems to get defensive for no reason. I felt even during the 4th innings of the previous test with south africa only looking to save the game his fields were not attacking enough.

Having said that pope has been quite the difference maker, definitely a big upgrade on what bairstow was.
fan says captains fields are not attacking enough

what a revelation

Father Time

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Its been a really good Test for England. Very much like the selection. Crawley got a few runs, Pope played brilliantly for his first hundred especially yesterday. Bess getting two wickets, & Mark Wood's batting & his bowling late on. Is it me or are we starting to become a team again at Test level? Didnt agree with the Rabada ban. As a cricket fan & an England fan, if we are to win I would like us to be taking on the strongest sides containing the best players & Rabada is a worthy opponent. Totally agree with Alec & Paul on the Sky verdict on that. Hope the weather doesnt intervene & we get a chance to push for a win. Were on top here but cant discount a SA fightback tomorrow.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
If I'm reading the Cricinfo report right, Boucher didn't really know how the demerit system worked until it was explained to him (by a journo presumably) today.

Surely an essential part of being the coach of a team is knowing the fairly basic punishment system that exists for his players that has been around for a few years.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
BB has been talking up Pope for a while now so I think now after that ton he is going to be viewed as an excellent talent by basically everyone. Its not always the case after a ton, Sibley still has big question marks.

Anyway, great day for England. Im sure Eng will be nervous having Nortje as the nightwatchman. Elgar of course is a big wicket too. I am pretty sure he wont give it away on Day 3 - it will have to be good bowling. Well done Bess, looks a real good prospect and I rate him so much more than Leach.

The pitches this series have been perfect for Test Cricket.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
England seem to have finally nailed down a batting order as well as a back up opener. Good times, if they can just figure out their best bowling attack as well, for both home and away games.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
If I'm reading the Cricinfo report right, Boucher didn't really know how the demerit system worked until it was explained to him (by a journo presumably) today.

Surely an essential part of being the coach of a team is knowing the fairly basic punishment system that exists for his players that has been around for a few years.
I think he knew how it worked it was the interpretation he has a problem with, obviously did not know the strictness in which it was applied... even though you get a feeling this is less an interpretation of the law than an interpretation against Rabada for continually pushing and overstepping the line. And not knowing the number of demerit points that Rabada was on is probably a case of only being in the job for a few weeks.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Catching by the English has been excellent this series.

And SA's inability to play even the most innocuous of spin bowlers continues inexplicably.