• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best losing performance you have seen?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
"Playing for the team" and hitting out when he was batting with the lower order wouldn't have made much difference anyway, such was the state of the WI teams he played in post-Lara.

Might as well protect your stats.

That is such a **** attitude to play cricket with though... If you hit out with the lower order, you at least give yourself some chance as you are actually scoring more runs than you would if you are playing for the red ink. I remember a number of matches which went beyond 3 or 4 days just because Lara managed to score more runs playing with guys after #7 which was basically the West Indian tail in those days.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Shiv is not as talented as Lara to be able to do that successfully, though.

vcs

Even Misbah hit a fast hundred once, which the likes of De Villiers/Tendulkar/Kohli/Lara etc. have never come close to matching. One off examples don't prove anything. Overall career SR tells the story.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Nah.. it does tell the story that he can bat in that tempo when needed. He just chose to not do it. I don't recall Misbah ever playing for the red ink as much as Shiv did. Really the only one that comes close is early career Kallis.

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
If Shiv didn't back himself to score faster, he should have been batting higher up the order. Left so many runs on the table.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yep.. Wont bat anywhere above 5. Wont try to hit out when tail is with him. Just such a bad bad influence for any team.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
This is some of the worst posting I have seen here in a while. Shivnarine Chanderpaul gave his absolute heart and soul to Caribbean cricket, in context his approach was absolutely fair enough

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
This is some of the worst posting I have seen here in a while. Shivnarine Chanderpaul gave his absolute heart and soul to Caribbean cricket, in context his approach was absolutely fair enough

Lol... I guess it is a better example of "worst posting" when you do not agree with someone's opinion and point out why factually, the response is to just say "it is the worst posting". Well done. Please get back to me when you actually have a point.

Last edited:

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Warner v NZ in Hobart 2011.
It's baffling isn't it. David Warner played his highest IQ innings (think Statsguru clocked it at 86 in that last hour) in his second of what will be a 100 test career.

How on earth did he regress to punching Joe Root in the jaw as an emancipatory gesture to Hashim Amla, barking like a dog, telling Rohit to speak English and ordering his fellow opening bat to commit treason?

OverratedSanity

So many occasions where he exposed the tail when the situation demanded he stay on strike and get some runs though. And I totally agree with bolo's post that he should've come up the order. Great batsmen n bad teams either farm the strike when batting with the tail or just bat higher up and hrlp stop collapses before the actually begin. Chanders was stuck awkwardly between the two and it hurt the team.

No denying he was a great of the game though. Dropping him in 2015 was a laughable decision. Pretty disgraceful how his career ended.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
And its not such a far fetched idea that a professional sportsman can care about his team and yet to a degree, choose to do something that will protect his own figures first before his team. I mean, Chanders perhaps felt he was not that good at any other number but then probably thought the best way for him to not get out was to not take risks. Either way, it is still putting his needs above the team's but it is not as cut and dry as people may think. In his own mind, he may have thought the best way to serve the team was to enable himself to bat at his best. But it cost the team at the end of the day.

MrPrez

International Debutant
Yeah I agree that Shiv not farming the strike was an issue.

Shiv not hitting out wasn't. He wasn't that sort of cricketer at all - yes, he hit an individual knock that was frighteningly quick, but it's clear that he didn't have the ability to go at it game in, game out.

If he'd farmed the strike and churned out runs in his good ol' way, it would have been fine.

No doubt he was a true great of WI cricket though.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah I agree that Shiv not farming the strike was an issue.

Shiv not hitting out wasn't. He wasn't that sort of cricketer at all - yes, he hit an individual knock that was frighteningly quick, but it's clear that he didn't have the ability to go at it game in, game out.

If he'd farmed the strike and churned out runs in his good ol' way, it would have been fine.

No doubt he was a true great of WI cricket though.
You have to do something different when batting with the tail, especially one that is traditionally as bad as the Windies were during his time. The point here is he just carried on with how he batted irrespective of the situation around him and that, in a team game, is a no-no. No one is doubting his greatness here but I think how he batted especially post 2007 when he was the best batter in the side showed more commitment to his own numbers than his team and therefore, that is a valid criticism.

AndrewB

Possible to do it over the career including average? Just interested to see who was more unlucky between Sachin and Lara?
Best averages in losses (10+ matches):
54.45 Sutcliffe
50.00 Hutton
46.07 Hobbs
43.27 Bradman
43.06 Flower
42.95 Hazare
42.19 Lara

Chanderpaul averaged 40, Tendulkar 37

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Lol. ****ing Bradman is top 4 even in this list. Think those figures would include Bodyline series as well where he averaged double than the next best guy?

Teja.

Global Moderator
Laxman 167 is one of the top 20-30 greatest centuries of all time imo and it was even more incredible considering it was his first hundred, he had no solid place in the side and it was against arguably the GOAT bowling line-up at home while not one other batsman in the side stood up with him.

h_hurricane

Gavaskar's 36*(174), immaculate patience!
Actually this one qualifies to be among the worst losing performances ever. That Prabhakar-Mongia show when they played out the last few overs of an ODI against WI is shame worthy as well.