• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

SA tour of India may not happen

chicane

State Captain
Some drama. The SA board have written to the BCCI asking them for assurance that Hershelle Gibbs and Nicky Boje won't be probed by the Police in connection with the match fixing scandal. The BCCI has said there's no guarentee.Times Of India Report
This may mean Gibbs and Boje(if selected) may not come or the tour may get scrapped. Bad news. :no: Hope this gets resolved.

Last edited:

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
chicane said:
Some drama. The SA board have written to the BCCI asking them for assurance that Hershelle Gibbs and Nicky Boje won't be probed by the Police in connection with the match fixing scandal. The BCCI has said there's no guarentee.Times Of India Report
This may mean Gibbs and Boje(if selected) may not come or the tour may get scrapped. Bad news. :no: Hope this gets resolved.
I'd hardly call a few ODI's a tour :)

chicane

State Captain
Yeah that's right. It was originally a tour, but as if it wasn't enough the tests got scrapped, this comes up.

chicane

State Captain
This tour....oh right ODI series may decide who's the second best ODI team in the world. It's been quite a while since the two teams played too.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
chicane said:
The BCCI has said there's no guarentee.
Since its a police matter, there is no way, the BCCI, which is a private body, can give any guarantees. SAfricans have to get the guarantees, if any, from the ministeries concerned.

Last edited:

Craig

World Traveller
Why are they still worrying about Gibbs and Boje?

Last time I checked, Boje didn't have any involvement in this and in fact Cronje had mentioned his name to get a deal to go through, but Boje was not directly involved in way.

And Gibbs finished his 6 month ban 3 and a half years ago, and first got quizzed over four year's ago, and I doubt they are going to find anything new.

Deja moo

International Captain
Craig said:
Why are they still worrying about Gibbs and Boje?

Last time I checked, Boje didn't have any involvement in this and in fact Cronje had mentioned his name to get a deal to go through, but Boje was not directly involved in way.

And Gibbs finished his 6 month ban 3 and a half years ago, and first got quizzed over four year's ago, and I doubt they are going to find anything new.
Boje was found innocent for lack of evidence.gibbs was found guilty.But this was the south African board doing its job...There are cases registered with the Delhi police against these guys and the files arent closed yet.

Since the fixing crimes took place in India, the police want to investigate them since they violated Indian law.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Let's say that this is 'unfortunate', to say the least.

This whole match-fixing episode rolls on and on, suspensions have been served, a life lost and yet the wheels of the judicial system continue to turn - slowly.

Perhaps not enough barristers have made their share yet?

The BCCI have no say in this matter - I should hope that they COULDN'T give the SA board any reassurance.

The ball is firmly in Herschelle Gibbs' court - perhaps an 'injury' causing him to miss the tour might not go amiss here?

Craig

World Traveller
Which is why I don't see the point.

If anything newwas going to be found, I'm sure they would have found it and I doubt Gibbs has anything left to hide.

As for Boje, he never did anything, he wasn't even involved at all. He was just used as a piece by Cronje.

Craig

World Traveller
luckyeddie said:

This whole match-fixing episode rolls on and on, suspensions have been served, a life lost and yet the wheels of the judicial system continue to turn - slowly.

The BCCI have no say in this matter - I should hope that they COULDN'T give the SA board any reassurance.

The ball is firmly in Herschelle Gibbs' court - perhaps an 'injury' causing him to miss the tour might not go amiss here?
Or to be 'rested' and give 'youngsters' a chance.

Deja moo

International Captain
Craig said:
Which is why I don't see the point.

If anything newwas going to be found, I'm sure they would have found it and I doubt Gibbs has anything left to hide.

As for Boje, he never did anything, he wasn't even involved at all. He was just used as a piece by Cronje.

Maybe the police want to get details of the bookies?
The SA board enquiry didnt concentrate on the identity of the bookies, only on whether the players were fixers or not.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The SA board have said that they won't take the pair if there's the slightest chance of them being picked up by the police.

They've also rejected the ODI schedule and said they want to play Tests.

Under the 5 year rule they must have played a Test series by early 2005 (last tour was early 2000) so if they don't fit in the matches now, when would they be played and whose fault would it be for it not going ahead?

tooextracool

International Coach
chicane said:
This tour....oh right ODI series may decide who's the second best ODI team in the world. It's been quite a while since the two teams played too.
SA isnt the 2nd best ODI team in the world!

Waughney

International Debutant
Who is then??
I agree with Chicane this series (ODI) may give a fair indication of who might deserve the title of 2nd best team.

Langeveldt

Soutie
luckyeddie said:

Totally agreed.. There is little the BCCI can do to reassure the South Africans... Shame the tour may not happen because its a nice prospect with two strong teams... After all the SA team were treated like kings there when they were re-admitted a decade ago, and the rivalry has produced some good matches...

As for Boje and Gibbs... I think it would be better for them if they were rested if the tour did go ahead... Id like to see Puttick and Van Jaarsveld get a trot... Just make sure Robbie P doesnt gatecrash the party :)

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
It would be a shame if the tour is not going to happen.

The BCCI can't assure the SA board that Gibbs & Boje won't be probed because its (as already mentioned) entirely a police matter.

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
tooextracool said:
SA isnt the 2nd best ODI team in the world!
Well going by the CW ODI rankings, SA is the 2nd best ODI team in the world.

Even if you looked at the official ICC ODI Championship, SA are still No.2