• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

DoG's Top 100 Test Batsmen Countdown Thread

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
If I am not wrong, Compton is the first batsman to show up in the list so far who averages 50+

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Am pretty surprised Huss was as high as he is. Massive disparity between home and away records. Bloke was Warneresque in that regard,

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I guess it shouldn't be a surprise root is this high since he's supposed to be in his prime which will obviously help in a statistical exercise but I thought Cook's longevity would be enough to get him ranked above Root. Then again, it is only 10% of the overall rating, so yeah.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
In my head I've always viewed Root as, if all goes to plan (which it kind of hasn't in the last two years) being England's best batsman since the 50s, with the idea of Compton and Barrington being level or better. Maybe this shows I should be even more ambitious with my hopes for him.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The last five have been - Gooch, Hussey, Cook, Harvey, Compton

If I had to rank them on greatness, it would be (from last to first) - Hussey, Cook, Harvey, Gooch, Compton.

So, more or less agreed with DoG, then.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Goochie was like a fine wine, seemed to get better with age, if anything. Alderman made him a complete spud in 89, yet he came back from that and seemed to get better, if anything, Crazy-good player

Will always love him for his 1989 answering machine message - "I'm out - probably lbw bowled Terry Alderman, but if you'd like to leave a message..."

For realz?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I don't like to brag (well, I do but anyway), however, I believe I have already written the definitive TOTAB tribute for this very website.

He wasn't a "very very good batsman", he was a great batsman. You don't make 11,000 test runs at over 50 in that era (56 away from home) and just be "very good." His away average is higher than Tendulkar's ffs, and that includes his last three tests in SA when he was a thousand and averaged 38.

Lol, yeah my bad. He is among the great batsmen of this game, just not quite ATG.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Lol, yeah my bad. He is among the great batsmen of this game, just not quite ATG.
If Border is not an ATG then I really need to have the CW definition of an ATG. Border stood head and shoulders above every other Aussie batsman in the 80's and he was only 5'8" or so

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
If Border is not an ATG then I really need to have the CW definition of an ATG. Border stood head and shoulders above every other Aussie batsman in the 80's and he was only 5'8" or so

OS is right.

How about the fact that he is not in the top 15 AT for me? My definition of ATG is the top 15 or 20 batsmen of all time and Border does not make it. Sorry if that hurts the tragic in you. :p

Put it this way, for me, an ATG is someone who is in the conversation for an AT XI or 2nd or at least 3rd XI. Don't think Border makes it for me.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
OS is right.

How about the fact that he is not in the top 15 AT for me? My definition of ATG is the top 15 or 20 batsmen of all time and Border does not make it. Sorry if that hurts the tragic in you. :p

Put it this way, for me, an ATG is someone who is in the conversation for an AT XI or 2nd or at least 3rd XI. Don't think Border makes it for me.
He's in the conversation for the Australian XI - it's basically between him and Waugh to bat 6.

He's got the 39th highest average of all time and is 10th on the list of run scorers. I'd probably place him somewhere between those two figures - probably around 20th and given the era he played in that might be conservative.

Assuming:

Hobbs
Gavaskar
Bradman
Smith
Tendulkar
Sobers

As the first XI and

Hutton
Sutcliffe
Ponting
Lara
Richards

As the 2nd XI top 5, I could see Border being in the discussion for the number 6, though probably Kallis would get the gig for his bowling.

Days of Grace

International Captain
No.44

Graeme Smith (South Africa) 758

Quality Points: 689
Career Points: 69

Career/Runs: 2002-2014, 9253 (rank 23)

Overall average/Runs per innings/Strike-rate: 44.65 (48.70) 41.79 (45.58) 53.84 (59.72) (rank 61)
50 Innings Peak Average/Runs per innings/Strike-rate (2008-2010): 54.46 50.10 53.83 (rank 69)
Non-Home Average/Runs per innings/Strike-rate: 50.24 47.22 51.57 (rank 17)
Quality Opposition Average/Runs per innings/Strike-rate: 42.06 39.31 54.80 (rank 84)

South Africa's highest rated opening batsman, Graeme Smith, like fellow opener and captain Alistair Cook, retired at an early age. He has a very good away record but perhaps is penalized for scoring a lot of runs in easy batting conditions (the average match RPW in which Smith made his centuries was 40.95). Nevertheless, he was a vital part of the South African team that rose to no.1 in the world rankings and, like Cook, his team has struggled to replace him since he hung up his helmet.