• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

DoG's Top 100 Test Batsmen Countdown Thread

Days of Grace

International Captain
No.8

Ken Barrington (England) 882

Quality Points: 825
Career Points: 57

Career/Runs: 1955-1968, 6806 (rank 56)

Overall average/Runs per innings/Strike-rate: 56.05 (58.67) 49.63 (51.95) 48.39 (41.11) (rank 6)
50 Innings Peak Average/Runs per innings/Strike-rate (1963-1968): 67.43 59.34 50.38 (rank 16)
Non-Home Average/Runs per innings/Strike-rate: 65.06 56.09 47.84 (rank 3)
Quality Opposition Average/Runs per innings/Strike-rate: 53.61 48.51 50.55 (rank 12)

Ken Barrington is by far the most underrated batsman on this list and is largely forgotten compared to some of his contemporaries. There is hardly any footage of him batting on YouTube. He was called into the England squad for the 1955 series against South Africa. He failed in the two tests he played and he wasn't recalled for England until 1959. Once back into the side he was determined never to give his wicket away and was a model of consistency at no.3 or no.4. His record overseas is phenomenal and may be partly the reason for his being so underrated as tours overseas in that era (apart from Australia) were not followed as closely as they are today. His record in Australia though is also outstanding, averaging an adjusted 70.43 (69.73) over 10 tests. Curiously, his adjusted strike-rate is comparable to Denis Compton's and Peter May's, two contemporary batsmen who were seen as being much more entertaining to watch. His under-appreciation was probably due to his open stance and tendency to play to leg. Barrington could be attacking when the situation demanded it, scoring a noteworthy 115 off 153 balls at Melbourne in 1966. He was also known for bringing up his century with a random six, a feat he managed 4 times in tests. It is true that Barrington made a lot of runs in draws but like Jacques Kallis, he would be a perfect fit if surrounded by other attacking batsmen. As it is, he is seen being part of the fabric of a dull era and he cannot escape this context. However, in a purely statistical analysis his numbers set him apart from almost any other batsman in test history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBXmXEGJEPc

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Knew his SR would get a massive bump, due to the general slow scoring of his era. I’ve seen people comment about how his FC average is low and somehow this detracts from his test performance... I don’t buy it. Clearly he stepped it up at the highest level and did so over an 82 match career not like it was a small sample size. I don’t personally have him this high (still easily England’s 2nd greatest middle order batsman for me) but hopefully this will help raise his reputation a little, at least on CW. Great work DoG.

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
So 4 out of top 7 are batsmen who played their entire careers in last 30 years. Over representation for this generation?

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
When ESPN was doing their legends of cricket series, Barrington was not even in the short listed 100 cricketers.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
So 4 out of top 7 are batsmen who played their entire careers in last 30 years. Over representation for this generation?
Nah. this generation (in part due to a larger player pool) has just happened to produce more extremely talented batsman than any other era. We’re lucky enough to witness it. Similar things would happen with a bowlers list, what with McGrath, Murali, Steyn, Warne.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Rating Barrington the second best middle order English bat is hardly a ballsy call though

I rate him that too while still pointing to his FC average as a sign he wasn't quite as good as the very best (as in not in my top 20)

Last edited:

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Rating Barrington the second best middle order English bat is hardly a ballsy call though

I rate him that too while still pointing to his FC average as a sign he wasn't quite as good as the very best (as in not in my top 20)
If its a short career with not much of a sample size sure. But the bloke averaged 57 over 82 matches. His FC record shouldn’t even be mentioned.

Logan

U19 Captain
In DoG’s bowling list, 10 out of 12 bowlers made their debut between 1971-1993. The other two being Steyn and Barnes.

mr_mister

I just think it's strange I guess. He's certainly an anomaly there if you disregard Eddie Paynter(who had that short test career)

harsh.ag

Wrt to ESPN's legends of cricket top 100, I can see ranking Barrington in the top 25 greatest batsmen of all time and still not putting him on that list.

Logan

U19 Captain
When ESPN was doing their legends of cricket series, Barrington was not even in the short listed 100 cricketers.
The list was ridiculous.

Barry Richards who played a total of 4 Tests came in 25th position.

Shane Warne ranked number 4th in 2000.

No Sutcliffe, Barrington.

Just 3 bowlers - Malcolm Marshall, Dennis Lillee and Wasim Akram.

Greame Pollock ahead of Allan Border and Len Hutton.

Last edited:

Days of Grace

International Captain

According to Wikipedia:
His batting improved with the quality of the opposition; he averaged 39.87 in the County Championship, 45.63 in first-class cricket, 58.67 in Test cricket and 63.96 against Australia.

I'm quite sure he didn't purposely raise his game depending on the competition, but his first-class record should be looked into. Someone who has access to the stats can do it. But does it really matter that much? Noone cares that much about the first-class stats of modern cricketers, for example.

stephen

The list was ridiculous.

Barry Richards who played a total of 4 Tests came in 25th position.

Shane Warne ranked number 4th in 2000.

No Sutcliffe, Barrington.

Just 3 bowlers - Malcolm Marshall, Dennis Lillee and Wasim Akram.

Greame Pollock ahead of Allan Border and Len Hutton.
Doesn't Warne count as a bowler?

mr_mister

According to Wikipedia:
His batting improved with the quality of the opposition; he averaged 39.87 in the County Championship, 45.63 in first-class cricket, 58.67 in Test cricket and 63.96 against Australia.

I'm quite sure he didn't purposely raise his game depending on the competition, but his first-class record should be looked into. Someone who has access to the stats can do it. But does it really matter that much? Noone cares that much about the first-class stats of modern cricketers, for example.
True because I feel a giant chunk of Steve Smith's FC cricket these days are tests. How much shield cricket has he even played since turned unstoppable in 2014

Barrington played a **** ton of county so averaging 39 in it is just odd.