• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

American Pro Cricket

Craig

World Traveller
Check out the site here!

Look's like it will be Twenty20 cricket and cricketer's earning around US$60,000.

Such cricketers included:

• Franklyn Rose
  • Parthiv Patel
  • Ramnaresh Sarwan
  • Shiverine Chanderpaul
  • Jermaine Lawson
  • Neil Johnson
  • Lance Klusener

Thoughts?

Loony BoB

International Captain
Brilliant! This could do very well, and I really hope it does. :) You see more balls being hit out of the park in Twenty20 than you do in baseball, and there sure as hell isn't much to see in baseball that Twenty20 doesn't have, really... :p

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Utterly perfect for the American market (or any developing market for cricket, I suppose).

V Reddy

International Debutant
luckyeddie said:
Utterly perfect for the American market (or any developing market for cricket, I suppose).
It could very well become applicable to test playing nations too in the future. Pakistan is going to apply it too in their domestic cricket. I hope India does it too in Ranji Cricket

twctopcat

International Regular
Bit off topic but do the 7 aside (or something like that) cricket matches still happen?
Saw a tournament last year of london vs south vs north with some continental teams thrown in for good measure. Maybe it got developed into twenty20 but that was good watching. Seem to remember jayasuriya smashing it about.:)

one_dayer

Cricket Spectator
Great news, I think if any form of the game would kick off in the U.S it would be Twenty20. But it's hard for any new sport to get a fan base anywhere really (apart from Japan maybe) can you imagine for example Baseball trying to break out in the UK? It wouldn't be easy.

Loony BoB

International Captain
I just tried to explain cricket to my American ex-girlfiend. Via chat. Hoo, boy. She likes baseball, but all she knew about cricket was the shape of the bat - that's it. She seemed, er, semi-interested. She was pretty interested by the silly positions and how much it would hurt to get hit by a ball being slogged into one's groin/box would be, though.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Loony BoB said:
I just tried to explain cricket to my American ex-girlfiend. Via chat. Hoo, boy. She likes baseball, but all she knew about cricket was the shape of the bat - that's it. She seemed, er, semi-interested. She was pretty interested by the silly positions and how much it would hurt to get hit by a ball being slogged into one's groin/box would be, though.
Add face to that list..

Loony BoB

International Captain
To give her an idea of the position, I tried to find an image, and ended up with the picture of Strauss (I think?) getting a ball stuck in his grill. :p

Rich2001

International Captain
twctopcat said:
Bit off topic but do the 7 aside (or something like that) cricket matches still happen?
Saw a tournament last year of london vs south vs north with some continental teams thrown in for good measure. Maybe it got developed into twenty20 but that was good watching. Seem to remember jayasuriya smashing it about.:)
Certianly is mate the comp you are reffering to I watched but not sure of the excate name of it... had about 10+ games in the day was like 10 over matches playing each team some many times and then SF/Final all in one day(the continental side you refer to was a Sri Lanka X1 side Aravinder, Jaya, Murali, Jayawardene, etc all played if I recall) had all bouns scoring areas like a 6 hit into any of the 6 special areas got you 12 and a 4 into them got you 8 etc.

But the one that is more wide know is a comp Hong Kong Sixes I think it's called simalar format but national teams and generally have a mix of old and new players playing.

As for the US cricket it looks pretty decent so far and some of the names that have signed up are very impressive M.Sami, Ramnaresh Sarwan, Shiverine Chanderpaul and Lance Klusener etc

Alot of Indian, West Indies and Pakistan players involded with each team allowed 5 overseas players... probley wont help the US grown players stright away (not sure if all 5 o/s players are allowed in the same game though) but will certinaly showcase the game of cricket for the public to take an intreste in and over time become more popular therefore more money to devlop the game internally.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Last edited:

shaka

International Regular
it should be great to tap into a market like america, i think that they should go for some of the recently retired players like Jonty Rhodes, Wasim Akram etc. They would be there mainly to guide the american players and could be in a player/coach type roll.

Craig

World Traveller
Loony BoB said:
Ask David Lloyd (I think that was him) or John John Edrich in the 1974-75 Ashes when he went down after being hit there by Jeff Thompson and those boxes were very basic.

Ask Eddie he would remember most likely :)

Craig

World Traveller
Rich2001 said:
As for the US cricket it looks pretty decent so far and some of the names that have signed up are very impressive M.Sami, Ramnaresh Sarwan, Shiverine Chanderpaul and Lance Klusener etc

Alot of Indian, West Indies and Pakistan players involded with each team allowed 5 overseas players... probley wont help the US grown players stright away (not sure if all 5 o/s players are allowed in the same game though) but will certinaly showcase the game of cricket for the public to take an intreste in and over time become more popular therefore more money to devlop the game internally.
I think it is a good thing as it will immediatly help the profile of the competition and raise the standard of it.

Craig

World Traveller
luckyeddie said:
If that take's off them I suppose we can start to look at first-class and List A cricket :)

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
i cant see Chopra as suited to a 20 over game... would be good to see Australia and India (tghe 2 strongest nations) play a series against each other - esp since tehre are unlikley to be any ODI's now...

it looks great, should appeal and spread fairly well to the US audience as well.. than hopefully more backing etc... than more players etc etc :)

good stuff

Loony BoB

International Captain
If they got quality players rising through the ranks, I would imagine that a few Americans would see the light of the longer game, too. After all, they can't take decent time out from the hard life with their mates by saying "I'm going away for five days. Baseball game, you know."