• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to the World T20 in the year 2020 (and 2021)

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
For discussion on the buildup to the World t20 in 2020 in Australia, and in 2021 in India.

Netherlands, PNG, Ireland, Namibia, Scotland and Oman have all qualifed, and will join Sri Lanka and Bangladesh in more qualifiers in Australia for the right to join the top 8 teams in the round of super 12.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_ICC_T20_World_Cup

Current Best Odds to win the 2020 tournament (with uk bookies) -

Australia 7-2
India 4-1
Engalnd 9-2
New Zealand 7-1
South Africa 9-1
West Indies 9-1
Pakistan 14-1
The rest 50-1 bar

theegyptian

It's quite hard to work out how England might line up.

Top order options

Buttler - I think he's best as opener. Struggles a bit starting in the middle.
Roy - Average record but is a selfless player with excellent s/r and has shown that he can destroy real pace bowling. Probably hangs onto a spot maybe wrongly on account of his ODI record.
Bairstow - Will be in squad definitely. Probably best opening but capable of batting in middle order.
Malan - Great record in internationl t20s, only left hander in the top order options. Average fielder and they can't carry too many of them. Doesn't quite hit the ball as cleanly consistently as most of the other options.
Vince - Will almost certainly miss out.
Banton - Probably going to come to soon given the alternatives.
Hales - England have probably moved past him given they have no shortage of options in the area.
Root - Contentious for sure. Goes well for England and maybe the argument against real high quality teams England may need someone who is not just trying to smash it out of the park. Also offers off-spin option as 6th/7th option which is useful given lots of the batsman in contention don't bowl at all. Still I think he's going to find it hard to get back in the side with England's approach likely to be to just go hard from ball 1 from everyone.

I think Buttler, Roy, Malan, and Bairstow likely to go. I can still see them possibly dropping Malan after a couple of failures; he does though have a big advantage of being the only leftie in top 3.

Middle order -

Morgan
Stokes - Poor record and his power hitting is too impacted by the strong bottom hand but is the heart of the team and excellent fielder. Will hope they can get the best of him when he gets a consistent run of games.
Billings - Can't see him making it. Just a bit too limited. Doesn't strike the ball well enough.
Ali - Will be there. Only reasonable offie to compliment the leggie. Power game has come on massively even if he does have some big troughs in form, and isn't great in the middle order.
Gregory - Strikes it well in county cricket but will have to show he can do that at a higher standard and im not sure he is good enough and/or will get the opportunity to show that. Bowling is meh in t20.
Bopara - The wild card. Probably the most experienced middle order bat they have and is never short of offers for his services across the world in t20. Still has the label as a bit of a bottler and England will probably be wary of going back to someone who never succeeded in the past.
Denly - I hope not. They want him to be an allrounder who bats in the middle order but he simply isnt. Doesn't have the power to bat in middle order. Not a good enough spinner to be an allrounder. Would want to bat in the top 3 but is lacking relative to the options.
Dawson - Maybe competing for Ali's spot but likely to lose out. Doesn't have moeen's wow factor with the bat and spins the ball the same direction as the leggie (although rashs bowls lot of googlies so less of an issue).

Morgan, Stokes, Ali and Bopara my options here.

The bowlers.

Archer - Offers the pace, yorker etc. Good strike bowler options and at death.
Jordan - Has been excellent in NZ. Really developed over the last year or so seemingly into a more reliable performer. Has the added excellent fielder/ useful batsman to his bow.
T Curran - Similar to Jordan in he offers good fielding/batting as well as his bowling.
Willey - A little unlucky to not be on this tour instead of S Curran who he will be competing for a spot with come the world cup. Has a decent t20 record for England where he regularly picks up wickets with the new ball. Is another really solid fielder with excellent athletism and decent tail end batting.
S Curran - Imo a little behind Willey on current ability. Very similar t20 cricketers.
Rashid - good record and trusted by Morgan to bowl to specific instructions.
Wood - Hard to see him being fit and unless he's bowling 92 mph+ consistently doesn't have the skills.
Parkinson - Interesting to see how he goes against international batsman due to his lack of pace through the air. Started well. Could be an option on some of the big grounds in Australia.
Pat Brown - Can't see them going that way. More rounded players available with more experience.

Archer, Jordan, T Curran, Willey, Rashid my bowling options.

Buttler, Roy, Malan, Bairstow, Morgan, Stokes, Ali, Bopara, Archer, Jordan, T Curran, Willey, Rashid + 2 more make up my squad so far.

(I couldn't resist going contrarian with the Bopara pick.)

Last edited:

Jack1

International Debutant
Yes I know. Just that it is hilarious that the highest ICC ranked nation gets the lowest odds.
Problem is the wc is in aus. probably the worst conditions for pak to be playing t20 in

It’s hard for me to see anyone but aus or India winning in aus nd in that sense value might be backing them both and hoping one wins, doubt ill be betting tho

Last edited:

srbhkshk

International Captain
Problem is the wc is in aus. probably the worst conditions for pak to be playing t20 in
Don't really see them winning anywhere tbh, they obviously have quality to win one off games against anyone - but sustained good performance is not Pakistan.

Jack1

International Debutant
Don't really see them winning anywhere tbh, they obviously have quality to win one off games against anyone - but sustained good performance is not Pakistan.
I think if host was eng or nz they might be favourites,

Definitely a lottery still despite my aus ind comment

WI could pull off something u never know , they often up their game out of no where for the t20 wc

Last edited:

ataraxia

International Coach
If Ind/Pak/WI beat Aus in the semis then Eng/NZ have a chance. Otherwise, neither can beat Aus at home. Afg are more likely to win than SA tbh.

Last edited:

theegyptian

Yes even though Aus don't have a great record in world t20s you've got to favour them in their own back yard. Lots of teams really struggle in Aus. So much quality in Finch, Warner, Maxwell, Smith, Starc. As long as they fill the rest of their side out correctly they should be hard to beat.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Finch Warner Smith Maxwell Carey Agar Starc Cummins feel like locks assuming Maxy is fit.

Probables whos best format is T20
Turner - Close to a lock. Hard hitter, good fielder.
KRichardson - His best format. Had plenty of opportunities.
Zampa - I just never trust the guy in an important match. Can be attacked against the strong batting teams. Hard to see him being overlooked from the squad though.

The last 4 spots will be interesting
Stanlake Abbott MMarsh Stoinis McDermott Short Wade Lynn Coulter-Nile

and the following players could force their way into the squad with a big BBL
Philippe Meredith Christian Tye Faulkner Neser

So I suspect
Finch Warner Smith Maxwell Turner Carey Agar Starc Cummins Richardson Zampa // Stanlake Wade MMarsh Abbott

Jack1

International Debutant
Maxwell should be at 1. Every time in t20. Harder ball, bowlers aren’t dialled in. More power play. No one has any business batting above him ever in that format no wonder the dude has backed out

Edit Field and keeper are cold too ball 1, batsman gets colder the long he’s waiting to come in.

Everything about batting 1 suits Maxwell

Last edited:

theegyptian